Jester call outs in the merge

Death_Angel

Hi.
Recently I've noticed that Jester prioritizes the air speed call outs way too much over telling the bandits position, it's like 4 speed calls versus 1 position call. I mean if the aim is to make it more realistic so he doesn't instantly spot everything I get it, but if he does have visual on a bandit that I'm about to merge with I'd much rather have him spot the guy for me than telling me my airspeed.

Yes, later on when I'm trying to get behind the him, it helps to know how my air speed is doing.

Edited by Death_Angel
  • Like 3

Generally, post merge, I would prefer speed and height (if descending) call-outs over clock positions as - tbh - the pilot should be eyes on anyway. I’d much rather he tell me things I can’t see without taking eyes off - like speed, altitude, trends.

• Like 5

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

Yes, height would be great. You will know that you are descending quickly and already beeing rather low when Jester punches out, but it would be more helpful to tell such things a bit earlier.

14700K | MSI Z690 Carbon | Gigabyte 4090 Gaming OC | 64GB DDR5 6000 G.Skill Ripjaws S5 | Creative SoundBlaster X-FI Titanium HD on a Violectric V90 Headphone amp and Fostex TH600 Headphones | LG 42 C227LA & Samsung C32HG70 | TrackIR 5 | Virpil WarBRD with VFX Grip | Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle | VKB T-Rudder Pedals MK IV 

I only fool around the F-14 - and still having a hard time on it as there is so much to learn and so little time and talent. But I love it.

12 hours ago, G.J.S said:

Generally, post merge, I would prefer speed and height (if descending) call-outs over clock positions as - tbh - the pilot should be eyes on anyway. I’d much rather he tell me things I can’t see without taking eyes off - like speed, altitude, trends.

What if you're merged and you don't see the bandit? I've been in that situation where my human RIO saved me by spotting the enemy, why shouldn't jester be able to do that?

Edited by Death_Angel
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Death_Angel said:

What if you're merged and you don't see the bandit? I've been in that situation where my human RIO saved me by spotting the enemy, why shouldn't jester be able to do that?

There should be a yellow and black ring you can pull . . . 😁

Joking aside, if the pilot for whatever reason doesn’t get a visual pick up, then yes a shout of “where” may be of use, just not repeated calls of where it is when other calls may be of more importance.

• Like 2

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

I find the position calls to be of limited utility in a dogfight. IMO, there should be "where is he?" and "tally" commands, bindable to HOTAS or keyboard, to make Jester prioritize callouts that help you find your target, and then once you're eyes on, to get him back to reporting airspeed and checking six. In fact, "tally" should probably disable positional callouts for the "primary" bandit, him telling you that the bandit is on your 12 is quite useless, you're presumably aware of where he is when you're in process of pulling him into the gunsight.

Jester needs some improvements when it comes to ACM crew contracts, and relevant communications need to be accessible hands-on. Particularly, he should "lead" the bandit, so that when he finishes talking, the bandit is where he says he is. He should also recognize, or it should be possible to tell him, what he should talk about. Sometimes, for example, I'd like him to track the bandit's wingman and tell me what he's doing, to make sure he's not going to sneak up on me.

Edited by Dragon1-1
  • Like 7

Sometimes Jester tally calls are quite delayed but the pilot has to factor this and mentally "lead" the situation. Sounds like voodoo but it's possible to do. 

Sometimes you might wanna fly level or initiate a climb to wait for a second callout. That way you can approximate what the bandit has done. Hopefully you can then lead your eyes out to where the bandit might go. 

How the bandit maneuver is entirely situational. Was it in the context of a 1 v 1 merge? Or were you jumped? 

That said, Jester should give us a call out when we are engaged by multiple bandits at close range. Not knowing that majorly messes up situational awareness. 

• 1 month later...

Seems like most everyone didn't understand what my problem with Jester is here. In the tomcat having a RIO is supposed to give you an advantage in terms of spotting. And if the merge happens in a situation where I can't see the bandit first, he's gonna shoot and kill me.

Many times I have had human RIOs save me in such situations and same with Jester, but now he simply doesn't do that anymore because he only calls my speed. I think he either needs adjustment to give position calls again, or at least we need that "Spot" function to work as in Jester immediately giving a position call when asked.

And a new "Tally" option could be added to the menu so when I do spot the bandit he only focuses on speed calls.

Edited by Death_Angel
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Death_Angel said:

Many times I have had human RIOs save me in such situations and same with Jester, but now he simply doesn't do that anymore because he only calls my speed.

My Jester works fine meaning he does report tally on bandit during merge, so does report the speed. When I have a bandit in front of me or locked, he stops reporting positions.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

The lag is real and Jester's spot calls sometimes confuse,  if not entirely misdirect me.   He definitely needs to add high or low. I like the speed callouts but needs some context logic just like he should stop telling me about spikes when we're going in the break or doing aerial refueling. 

The Tally and Spot modes sound like they could be great. 

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

I like the idea of being able to prompt him for a position, and maybe in doing that the relavent info could come back faster than his automatic calls.

Sent from my Samsung Chromebook Plus using Tapatalk

F-14B, F-16, F-18C, A-10C, F-5E, F-86, FC3, BF-109, FW-190, P-51, Spitfire, UH-1,AJS-37 Viggen, MIG-15, MIG-19, MIG-21, AV-8B Harrier, P-47D

Persian Gulf, Caucuses, NTTR, Normandy, The Channel, Syria

Combined Arms, WWII Assets,Super Carrier

TM Warthog, Virpil VFX,BuddyFox UFC, Saitek Pro Flight quadrant & Switch Panel, Odyssey+ VR, Jet Pad w/ SSA, Voice Attack w/Viacom Pro

GeForce RTX2080TI OC, Intel Core i7-7700K 4.5Ghz, 64GB DDR4, Dedicated 1TB SSD

On 5/21/2022 at 2:57 AM, LASooner said:

I like the idea of being able to prompt him for a position, and maybe in doing that the relavent info could come back faster than his automatic calls.

Sent from my Samsung Chromebook Plus using Tapatalk

I guess that's fair.  Adding a command to the radial to get a position call out if and when I happen to lose sight isn't unreasonable, I suppose. Or maybe just a toggle setting activated by the user that tells him to focus on one or the other when you're in close.

Can't pretend fly as well as you can.

It could be a tally/no joy toggle, where tally he would focus on speed calls and maybe scanning six to make sure there's no other banding on our six, and no joy would only give position callouts, or even better, position+movement ones (on our ten, going to eight!) to get the pilot's eyes on the bandit. It could be added to the menu, but it definitely needs a keyboard shortcut, if you try to fiddle with the Jester menu after you get tally, you'll most likely lose it again.

• Like 1

Personally I prefer the speed call frequencies over the bandit position as it allows me to keep my head out of the cockpit. Plus, as mentioned above, the lag between his call and the positioning can be a little confusing.  That said, the occasional bandit call is useful if I lose sight.