Does DCS support protocols other than ordinary HID-based game controllers?

How do ‘big’ flight simpits manage to integrate so many analog flight controls? Windows only supports 8 axes per HID device. Other flight sims (xplane) supports plugins with a well documented SDK to create them. 

am I destined to use another arduino for every 8 analog dials/sliders/levers I want to add?

4930K @ 4.5, 32g ram, TitanPascal

If you’ve never checked out “ the warthog project” take a look, he was pretty detailed in his his sim pit build. Says he uses 25 potentiometers for lighting controls and whatnot, all either hooked up with Leo bodnar boards or arduino’s but still looks like only 8 analog inputs per board regardless. I’m a novice to this stuff by any stretch of the word. I’m researching and gathering info for building my own controls. But this seems to be the case with analog controls, as far as info that I have found. Seems kind of archaic for windows to only support the amount it does. But I’m not software engineer so maybe there’s a good reason why.

• Like 1

Intel i7 13700k, ASUS  rog strix z790A, 64gigs G.Skill Trident DDR5 @6400Mhz, Nvidia  RTX 4080FE, 2x 2TB Samsung M.2 NVME, 2x 1TB Samsung SSD,  Corsair RM1000x, Corsair h100i 240mm cooler, Lian Li LanCool 3, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate, VKB STECS , MFG Crosswinds, Track IR5, 48” LG UltraGear OLED & HP 24” touchscreen for Helios, Streamdeck XL, DCS-UFC App, Corsair Virtuoso RGB Headphones

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2022 at 1:12 PM, skypickle said:

How do ‘big’ flight simpits manage to integrate so many analog flight controls? Windows only supports 8 axes per HID device. Other flight sims (xplane) supports plugins with a well documented SDK to create them. 

am I destined to use another arduino for every 8 analog dials/sliders/levers I want to add?

Have a look at DCS-BIOS, especially the dcs-lua submodule. That's what most people use for their pits. 
https://github.com/dcs-bios/dcs-bios

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 9 5950x, MSI MEG x570 Unify, G.Skill 128GB DDR4-3200, MSI RTX3090 Ventus 3x 24GB, Samsung PCIe 4.0 M.2 1TB 980 Pro, Seagate PCIe 4.0 M.2 2TB FireCuda 520, Quest 3