Running a G2 with Open XR

Rocky49

It appears that there now is a work around to get off Steam VR with the G2 and run DCS with Open XR.  I appears a little work by Eagle Dynamic could make this very easy with a simple update in the Bin 

• Like 1

System:Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z390-E,Asus ROG GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC, GPU, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram, Intel i9 9900K @ 5 GHz , cooled by NZXT Kraken X52, Acer XB270HU G-Sinc monitor, Windows 10 Pro, Warthog joystick and throttle with wasy extension, VBK Gunfighter Pro and MCG Pro,MFG Rudder, running on a dedicated 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M2 Nvme , Super Wheel Stand Pro, with a HP Reverb G2

1 hour ago, Rocky49 said:

It appears that there now is a work around to get off Steam VR with the G2 and run DCS with Open XR.  I appears a little work by Eagle Dynamic could make this very easy with a simple update in the Bin 

Adding support for the Open XR runtime may not be such a simple update. I would love to see it but would not hold out much hope for it anytime soon. Open XR support along with TAA anti aliasing would go a long way for this sim in VR. One can always dream.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I'm sure ED will pick up OXR eventually, but they can't right now.  OXR isn't quite done yet; it needs a little more time in the oven.  It's getting there.  

Meanwhile...  you gotta put something in between DCS and the G2.  It's either gonna be WMR/WMR4SVR/SVR or OpenComposite... I'd suggest the latter.  Much cleaner imo.  Fewer moving parts.  

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

Can only wait and see

System:Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z390-E,Asus ROG GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC, GPU, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram, Intel i9 9900K @ 5 GHz , cooled by NZXT Kraken X52, Acer XB270HU G-Sinc monitor, Windows 10 Pro, Warthog joystick and throttle with wasy extension, VBK Gunfighter Pro and MCG Pro,MFG Rudder, running on a dedicated 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M2 Nvme , Super Wheel Stand Pro, with a HP Reverb G2

OpenXR and the Toolkit is the only way to fly VR now.  I use both for DCS and M$F$.  For that other WWII sim, I'm just using OpenXR (for now).

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Yeah SoH is using it now and said it’s Huge which is making me want to make the switch now but I need build my confidence up because I’m terrible with changes. What to do what to do !

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

There have been very few things if any I would ever call a “game changer” in terms of updates and mods to dcs. This openXR mod however, I will go out and a limb and say, at least for me, it was a game changer. I’ve been using it for several weeks now and it has made a huge difference. I have more flexibility in adjusting the load on my system, it has an inherently better image than svr and it means I am free from the svr/wmr awkward marriage. 
I have spent weeks testing and trying different configurations all with their benefit and the great thing is I can easily scale up or down, according to the mission load and still get great performance even in mp. These days I’m playing with 120% resolution on the g2 and it’s so clear, sharp and smooth, I don’t even need msaa or mr. 
if ED are not seriously looking at implementing this, they really should be. It’s such a low hanging fruit for what is now a proven way to improve the overall sim while we continue (after how many years??) to wait for the implementation of a better dcs engine and multicore. 

There's no requirement to use hand controllers in VR for DCS, it can all be controlled from desktop.

If DCS is your only intended usage then not having the controllers isn't an issue, however it will preclude you from the majority of other VR titles.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

4 minutes ago, drspankle said:

Awesome thanks. DCS is the only thing I'm into so, should I ever find a G2 for sale, I'll go for one without the controllers.

Appreciate the help,

Dr Spankle

True story - going way back to Jan 2017 after reading about it on these forums I took the plunge into getting VR. Back then it was basically either a Vive or a Rift CV1. I decided on the Rift. Then in Feb I was reading all bout the recently released Touch Controllers, and thought I would never get into that. But I finally ordered a set of the controllers.

Well lemme tell ya it opened up a whole new world of VR gaming for me and I loved it. Granted flight sims have always been my first love and my mainstay. But I do enjoy the occasional foray into VR games using the controllers. Awesome fun.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Alyx comes to mind...  😀

• Like 1

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

On 4/21/2022 at 7:43 AM, TED said:

There have been very few things if any I would ever call a “game changer” in terms of updates and mods to dcs. This openXR mod however, I will go out and a limb and say, at least for me, it was a game changer. I’ve been using it for several weeks now and it has made a huge difference. I have more flexibility in adjusting the load on my system, it has an inherently better image than svr and it means I am free from the svr/wmr awkward marriage. 
I have spent weeks testing and trying different configurations all with their benefit and the great thing is I can easily scale up or down, according to the mission load and still get great performance even in mp. These days I’m playing with 120% resolution on the g2 and it’s so clear, sharp and smooth, I don’t even need msaa or mr. 
if ED are not seriously looking at implementing this, they really should be. It’s such a low hanging fruit for what is now a proven way to improve the overall sim while we continue (after how many years??) to wait for the implementation of a better dcs engine and multicore. 

TED. That was my point when I started this Topic. Haven’t had a chance to implement this yet as I have been away from home since I opened this topic

• 1 month later...

Guys..I'm running a Reverb G2 and thought I'd try the OpenXR mod to see how VR perfomance improves having read everyones feedback on the positive results they experienced.

The strange thing is for me the performance is worse with OpenXR than with SteamVR which was really dissapointing.

I can run solid 45FPS with reprojection at 0.8PD in DCS and 100% SS in Steam VR, but the same settings with OpenVR result in 30FPS.

All I did was replaced the two files 'openvr_api and D3DCompliler_47 in my bin folder and added opencomposite.ini. Am I missing something?

When I installed OpenXR Toolkit, I just get a blank screen, Any ideas?

Intel Core i3 8350K 4GHz, MSI RTX 2080 Super, AS Rock Z370 Pro4 Motherboard, Samsung SSD, 32G DDR4 RAM, Windows 10 PRO 64 Bit

Rift-S, Tripple Samsung 27" C27F Display, Hotas Warthog, Saitek Pro Flight rudder pedals, EDtracker, Track IR.

12 hours ago, Charlie-1 said:

Guys..I'm running a Reverb G2 and thought I'd try the OpenXR mod to see how VR perfomance improves having read everyones feedback on the positive results they experienced.

The strange thing is for me the performance is worse with OpenXR than with SteamVR which was really dissapointing.

I can run solid 45FPS with reprojection at 0.8PD in DCS and 100% SS in Steam VR, but the same settings with OpenVR result in 30FPS.

All I did was replaced the two files 'openvr_api and D3DCompliler_47 in my bin folder and added opencomposite.ini. Am I missing something?

You aren't the only one. I've been running steamVR and reshade, and good performance + very sharp visuals. I switched to OpenXR and well... Performance was similar, or a bit worse FPS wise. And the sharpness even with it cranked to 100% in OpenXr still wasn't as good as the reshade "sharpener". I will say the image in OpenXr looked like it had less shimmering, and it certainly felt "smooth" but it wasn't some night and day thing for me in terms of visuals or performance. So either I did something wrong or, my system is fine with steam which i optimized with speed of heats guide long ago. 

• Thanks 1

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

The primary benefit of OXR is the smoothness.  It is slightly lower in terms of FPS (and I mean 1% slower so about 1 FPS at 45 FPS)...  but despite that it's smoother anyway, so...  the REAL reason for any FPS at all is to create a smooth experience.  OXR does smooth with lower FPS than Steam does...  and even at the same FPS...  it's still smoother.  

Visuals are somewhat better but not really a night and day difference.  Visually SVR is pretty good.

I've come to the conclusion that if you watch the performance metrics then SVR is better.  If you are looking for a good looking and smooth experience and are willing to just put the numbers aside (that 1% FPS...)...  OXR is better in every way.

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

38 minutes ago, M1Combat said:

The primary benefit of OXR is the smoothness.  It is slightly lower in terms of FPS (and I mean 1% slower so about 1 FPS at 45 FPS)...  but despite that it's smoother anyway, so...  the REAL reason for any FPS at all is to create a smooth experience.  OXR does smooth with lower FPS than Steam does...  and even at the same FPS...  it's still smoother.  

Visuals are somewhat better but not really a night and day difference.  Visually SVR is pretty good.

I've come to the conclusion that if you watch the performance metrics then SVR is better.  If you are looking for a good looking and smooth experience and are willing to just put the numbers aside (that 1% FPS...)...  OXR is better in every way.

Except when fps go to 20 because of reprojection and rendering fps being <30 or rendering fps beeing less than 60 so reprojection triggered on.. That's what I have with the AH64 and OpenXR...

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

1 hour ago, M1Combat said:

Yeah this maybe the case. For me the deal breaker was even with the sharpening up to 100% and the saturation turned up pretty high (yay G2 things) It still looked better in steamVR with reshade. Now I'm sure I could tweak the saturation, but point was clarity was still significantly better in steamVr with reshade adaptive sharpening. Performance wasn't bad, but it wasn't "better" really. The other subjective thing was that shimmering seemed to be better with OpenXr (i.e. less). But that could also be a difference in the sharpening settings. 

Also, IDK if the devs read this but the toolkit UI is terrible and it would be really nice to have a way to toggle from "default" to "user" settings like reshade does to compare. 

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

"Performance" is a very odd term.  FPS?  Frametime?  Smoothness?  Max Framerate?  Min framerate?  how it handles changing conditions in framerate/frametime????

It's not so simple as just "Oooh look...  I get 2FPS more with SVR..."

That doesn't matter.  We've all chased the "Frametime" or 45 FPS thing so long we jump in OXR and see it "slower" and throw it away.  

That's bad :).

OXR is "smoother" at lower FPS.  Id rather have a smooth experience than inconsistent environment movement.  Once the environment starts being smooth...  you'll find that it's super playable all the way down to 30FPS (Hello MP...).  That's WAY more important to the overall experience than even 10FPS...  Turn off your frametime and FPS meters and just objectively test SVR vs. OXR.  I think you'll find OXR to be smoother.

You might have a valid argument regarding the re-shade...  but all that will be coming to OXR also and it will still be smoother :).

I mean you do you :).  I think some people are more or less sensitive to smoothness, some to color and definition, some to screen door effect etc...  Just find what works for you :).

6 hours ago, lefuneste01 said:

Except when fps go to 20 because of reprojection and rendering fps being <30 or rendering fps beeing less than 60 so reprojection triggered on.. That's what I have with the AH64 and OpenXR...

Turn off reprojection with OXR.  Also...  If your FPS goes to 20 in the Apache then SVR would only be at maybe 20.5 or you have something wrong.  No need to blame OXR for something else that's broken.  Finds what it is.  I hear it has trouble with one of the knee board apps, or used to I think it's fixed.  Either way...  Aint nobody running 20FPS unless there's something wrong.  I used to run a GTX970 with a Vive and got better than 20FPS...

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

On 5/31/2022 at 9:50 PM, Charlie-1 said:

Yeah. You need to follow all the instructions. If you did you would see things like it doesn't work with PD set in DCS.

5 hours ago, M1Combat said:

Turn off reprojection with OXR.  Also...  If your FPS goes to 20 in the Apache then SVR would only be at maybe 20.5 or you have something wrong. 

I do not think 20 fps without reprojection is a good thing, same for 30 fps by the way.

Could you launch  AH64 / instant action / runway start (caucasus), go to gunner station and look at your fps without reproj ? The AH64 has currently a big impact on fps...

Edited by lefuneste01

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

Of course it's not a "good" thing.  Clearly :).

However...  30 isn't bad with OXR.  It's pretty well un-usable in SVR...  But not even uncomfortable in OXR.  You can tell it's not running 45 or 60 or whatever but it's WAY less problematic than the same frame rate/time in SVR.

It's 43-45 in that instant action.  "Reprojection" forced off or on...  same result.

4 hours ago, M1Combat said:

It's 43-45 in that instant action.  "Reprojection" forced off or on...  same result.

40 fps in AH64 / Instant action / RUNWAY START / gunner seat with OpenXR ! What are your graphic settings and your CPU ?

Sorry I didn't do gunner seat...

AMD 3800X running 4.2Ghz and a 2080 Non-Ti.  Resolution is at 100%.  Most of the settings are low in DCS except for a few...  I think high ground texture and medium cockpit texture...  view distance to "far"?  One setting beyond Medium for view distance I think.  Water at Medium.  Trees at 100% but the tree detail and the environment detail sliders set to 75%.  I'd have to take a screen shot and I'm at work now so... can't right now.

Nvidia settings are just "Prefer max performance" and leave the rest alone...  HAGS off...

Pretty basic stuff.