Mach Cone and Ultra-Low-Altitude Water Effects

Rex

mach_cone.jpg

mach_over_water.jpg

I couldn't mix words in with the pictures for some reason.

Anyway, I know it's a lot to ask, but those would be cool if at all possible ... someday.

Edited by Rex
  • Like 3

Rex's Rig

Intel i9-14900K | Nvidia RTX 4090 | 64GB DDR5 | 3x4TB 990 Pro M2 SSDs | HP Reverb 2 | 49" Samsung 5120x1440 @ 120Mhz

TM Warthog Stick + Throttle | TM Pendulum Pedals | MS Sidewinder 2 FFB | Track IR |  Cougar MFD x 2 

• Rex changed the title to Mach Cone and Ultra-Low-Altitude Water Effects

Yes, please add the mach cone and ultra-low-altitude water effects.  In the Top Gun 2:  Maverick, there is a scene in a movie trailer where Tom Cruise flies over a guard shack near a military base and the people experience the "whoosh" from the F/A-18 flying by.  The water effects would be great to see when flying at 100 feet above the ocean going supersonic.

MFT

• Like 2

Hmmm. Not to be picky, but that first image is not a "Mach Cone". That image depicts condensation forming when the local pressure (and therefore temperature) drops due to wing dynamics in humid air. A "Mach Cone" is a (conical) pressure wave-front that exists the entire time that a body moves through air/gas with supersonic speed. I seem to dimly remember that I've seen some condensation effects modelled on the Bug, so it may be in the game already. 

IIRC low-alt water effect is already present in DCS, will have to check. 

Edited by cfrag

10 hours ago, Mike Force Team said:

The ultra-low water effects would also look great when following subsonic anti-ship missles while flying towards their intended targets.

MFT

Except they're so small they produce almost no cone at all, so odds are they'd still be hard to see

You don’t always get a condensation ‘flash’ when passing Mach, it’s very dependant on the right set of atmospheric conditions being present.

And the water disturbance created at low level - may look impressive, but all you are doing is shouting at the enemy “AIM HERE!”.

• Like 1

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2022 at 4:19 AM, draconus said:

Yes, it is. Above the ground too.

I've never seen this in the F/A-18, and I've gone pretty low, which planes have you observed it with?

Rex's Rig

Intel i9-14900K | Nvidia RTX 4090 | 64GB DDR5 | 3x4TB 990 Pro M2 SSDs | HP Reverb 2 | 49" Samsung 5120x1440 @ 120Mhz

TM Warthog Stick + Throttle | TM Pendulum Pedals | MS Sidewinder 2 FFB | Track IR |  Cougar MFD x 2 

On 4/18/2022 at 4:01 AM, cfrag said:

Hmmm. Not to be picky, but that first image is not a "Mach Cone". That image depicts condensation forming when the local pressure (and therefore temperature) drops due to wing dynamics in humid air. A "Mach Cone" is a (conical) pressure wave-front that exists the entire time that a body moves through air/gas with supersonic speed. I seem to dimly remember that I've seen some condensation effects modelled on the Bug, so it may be in the game already. 

Fair enough, I've heard it called all manner of things, and I was using the colloquial term I've heard for it, I kind of figured it wasn't the strictly-technical one ... which why I posted a photo.  That said, I feel like I've only seen that form in the transonic region and higher.  Are you saying that the "cone" is present even when the condensation is not, and can occur at any speed?  What would you call the phenomenon that's pictured?  Is the condensation in the mach cone?

Edited by Rex

Rex's Rig

1 hour ago, Rex said:

I've never seen this in the F/A-18, and I've gone pretty low, which planes have you observed it with?

Done it in the 14 and 15 but it should be for all aircraft. You have to get reaaaly low, like 3 ft or so, not sustainable safely - partly because you're flying in external view to see it.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

On 4/18/2022 at 1:01 PM, cfrag said:

Well, in essence it is still a Mach cone, just smaller and local. Even when flying subsonic there are local areas of supersonic speed (due to airfoil curvature) that end in a shock, with the phenomena that you described so well. That's what defines the transonic speed region; if anywhere on the aircraft you find supersonic speeds while still flying subsonic.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2022 at 11:07 PM, draconus said:

Done it in the 14 and 15 but it should be for all aircraft. You have to get reaaaly low, like 3 ft or so, not sustainable safely - partly because you're flying in external view to see it.

Cool, will give it a try, thanks for the heads up.

On 4/27/2022 at 10:24 PM, cfrag said:

Yes. And Google is your friend.

Certainly not the same Google that returns the attached as the first image for the term "Mach Cone"?

No, they're not MY friend at all.

1200px-FA-18_going_transonic.JPG

Rex's Rig

8 hours ago, Rex said:

Certainly not the same Google that returns the attached as the first image for the term "Mach Cone"?

No, they're not MY friend at all.

🙂 

Yes - while Google is your friend for finding content, much of that content isn't. Corroborate it with other sources before accepting it, especially if it seems to agree with your preconceived notions. If you google images for 'viking helmet', you may come to the conclusion that Vikings in combat of the days predominantly used helmets with horns attached. They didn't. Don't trust the results.

So yes, my apologies for not adding '... and distrust the results'; The internet can't be trusted. Let's look at it positively: it's a good thing that you found this out on a benign topic.

Imagine if you went down the rabbit hole with one of the standard, highly dangerous internet traps: anti-vaxxers, 9/11 truthers, QAnon, JFK assasination, moon landings, flat earth, religions. You got lucky 🙂

Edited by cfrag
  • Like 1