MANPAD Issues

I keep constantly getting shot down by manpads when the missions force me to go low. 2 missions called "express delivery" and "Tornados" in particular. im setting pretty excessive profiles (2x12 1sec intv., or 2x15 0.5 interval) im at full idle, diving from 20-25k dropping flares from about 12k ft, right down through the bottom (if i get that far) and nose on to manpad and im still getting shot down while in the dive. Am i missing something, not sure what else can be done to avoid them? (i tried CCRP too, but i guess wind may have blown clusters off course? as neither hit their target). Any help is appreciated, as im struggling to keep doing same long missions an getting nowhere 🙃

Edited by CH4Pz

20 minutes ago, CH4Pz said:

I keep constantly getting shot down by manpads when the missions force me to go low. 2 missions called "express delivery" and "Tornados" in particular. im setting pretty excessive profiles (2x12 1sec intv., or 2x15 0.5 interval) im at full idle, diving from 20-25k dropping flares from about 12k ft, right down through the bottom (if i get that far) and nose on to manpad and im still getting shot down while in the dive. Am i missing something, not sure what else can be done to avoid them? (i tried CCRP too, but i guess wind may have blown clusters off course? as neither hit their target). Any help is appreciated, as im struggling to keep doing same long missions an getting nowhere 🙃

Only thing I would add for missile defence is to make sure you keep your speed up and make a hard break with flares into the missile.  Things generally get a lot dicier when you get lower, the aim is to get the player to weigh up risk v reward on a target and figure out the safest way of getting rounds on a target.  Mission 5 (express delivery) I would advise paying attention to your attack direction, you can run in from the opposite direction to the occupied buildings and assuming your guns only at that point, shoot at max range so you stand off from the target a little.

Mission 9 (Tornado) there is no need to go low unless you're really pushing for max score.  The two most serious threats are SA19 and SA9, you have Mavs for these.  After those you can choose to hit the AAA with mk20 if you want, but this is where risk v reward and 'coming up with a plan' comes into play.

Always worth pointing out that the missions are always completable even if you can't finish a target off, sometimes its better to back off and live to fight another day.  From M10 onwards, quite a few missions will start to feature a mid mission checkpoint (at the tanker) so this helps a little with longer, tougher missions deeper into Syria.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2022 at 3:44 AM, CH4Pz said:

I had requested advice for mission 5 after being shot down a couple of times. You can see my post I just did in that thread just in case I may add undisclosed spoilers to this thread.

• Like 1

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

On 4/18/2022 at 4:52 PM, unlikely_spider said:

I had requested advice for mission 5 after being shot down a couple of times. You can see my post I just did in that thread just in case I may add undisclosed spoilers to this thread.

Yeah... I'm starting to go though M05, main target all cool and then the support of the downed A-10 and the low-level show of force. I twice had literally no time to avoid the manpads: 1st time didn't even see them, even after my wingman called the launch. 2nd time saw them, and even going 550+ KIAS dropping flares and they launched on my 9 o'clock, no way to avoid the two missiles coming right ate me. I'm pretty much frustrated. But, will keep trying.

I fly a ka-50 so i'm not in danger... I AM the danger! :joystick:

1 hour ago, paloncho said:

Yeah... I'm starting to go though M05, main target all cool and then the support of the downed A-10 and the low-level show of force. I twice had literally no time to avoid the manpads: 1st time didn't even see them, even after my wingman called the launch. 2nd time saw them, and even going 550+ KIAS dropping flares and they launched on my 9 o'clock, no way to avoid the two missiles coming right ate me. I'm pretty much frustrated. But, will keep trying.

I'll re-test the mission soon, I never had any major issues with the MANPADS in the past...but we all know how updates can be, they could be a bit more deadly now then when I last flew this mission (I have seen reports on other SAMS getting more deadly).

Only thing I'll add (as I keep stressing) is throughout the campaign there is a lot of risk v reward game play.  Missions are always fairly easy to complete in a basic format, but additional tasking (and max scores) will always come with a step up in challenge and increased threats and often I like to set little puzzles for players to have to think about and solve, eg how can I approach a target in the safest but most effective way.  All that said, difficulty balance was one of the key criteria assessed in beta testing, we all signed off on it as is during testing, but like I said, updates change things so this feedback is really important and I'll re-assess soon.

On 4/19/2022 at 11:25 PM, ChillNG said:

I'll re-test the mission soon, I never had any major issues with the MANPADS in the past...but we all know how updates can be, they could be a bit more deadly now then when I last flew this mission (I have seen reports on other SAMS getting more deadly).

Only thing I'll add (as I keep stressing) is throughout the campaign there is a lot of risk v reward game play.  Missions are always fairly easy to complete in a basic format, but additional tasking (and max scores) will always come with a step up in challenge and increased threats and often I like to set little puzzles for players to have to think about and solve, eg how can I approach a target in the safest but most effective way.  All that said, difficulty balance was one of the key criteria assessed in beta testing, we all signed off on it as is during testing, but like I said, updates change things so this feedback is really important and I'll re-assess soon.

Done. Mission success and pilot safe until arrival of the A-10C in CSAR (A-10 downed pilot recovered successfully). Got a 96% mission success.

In the 1st two show-of-force low level passes, all good. I tried the 3rd one once troops start pushing to the pilot at a very low level and fast (around 600 kias) and got hit by the Iglas. So, I could success at mid level, break hard, engines idle and popping flares as hell.

I could see that every time they shoot, it's two Iglas at the same time. One of them is easily spoofed by flares but the 2nd one keep going and going.

So, every day it's a good day to learn something new in flight simulations.

2 hours ago, paloncho said:

Done. Mission success and pilot safe until arrival of the A-10C in CSAR (A-10 downed pilot recovered successfully). Got a 96% mission success.

In the 1st two show-of-force low level passes, all good. I tried the 3rd one once troops start pushing to the pilot at a very low level and fast (around 600 kias) and got hit by the Iglas. So, I could success at mid level, break hard, engines idle and popping flares as hell.

I could see that every time they shoot, it's two Iglas at the same time. One of them is easily spoofed by flares but the 2nd one keep going and going.

So, every day it's a good day to learn something new in flight simulations.

Good to hear.  Didn't realize I had 2 MANPADS either, sounds excessive, I'll look at it.

On 4/23/2022 at 5:40 PM, ChillNG said:

Good to hear.  Didn't realize I had 2 MANPADS either, sounds excessive, I'll look at it.

Yeah. I saw 2 being shot at the same time every time they shot at me. Could find both guys near the trucks that stay in the village, one is right by the side of the street and the other one is on a roof.

11 hours ago, paloncho said:

Yeah. I saw 2 being shot at the same time every time they shot at me. Could find both guys near the trucks that stay in the village, one is right by the side of the street and the other one is on a roof.

Ok thanks, one of those little changes that updates bring about to disrupt the balance.  I never had both fire during testing.

Yes please; this is eating me too .. i can usually evade one of the little buggers but I end up eating the second

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg