Wishlist - Jester menu populate in look direction.

cw4ogden

Maybe there is a mod or maybe someone has already asked this but is it possible to have the Jester menu pop up with center being the direction you are looking?  As opposed to straight forward?  The way it is currently it's very hard to interact with Jester while doing formation or anything requiring your focus to be away from the instrument panel area.

• Like 8

On 4/17/2022 at 4:09 PM, cw4ogden said:

Maybe there is a mod or maybe someone has already asked this but is it possible to have the Jester menu pop up with center being the direction you are looking?  As opposed to straight forward?  The way it is currently it's very hard to interact with Jester while doing formation or anything requiring your focus to be away from the instrument panel area.

Well, not sure if you tried this. But you can get the VAICOM plugin for VoiceAttack and get rid of the menu all together and just talk to him. 😊 

Seems there are some missing Jester features currently though. 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

VAICOM plugin is payware, though, on top of the added cost of VAICOM itself. IMO, it should be possible to operate the Jester menu purely through static key sequences, either by keyboard of regular VoiceAttack. In older games you could build up muscle memory for every frequently used action so that I could just punch it in with a few keystrokes, I liked this far better than the clunky radial Jester menu or the stupid DCS dynamic comms menu. 

34 minutes ago, Dragon1-1 said:

it should be possible to operate the Jester menu purely through static key sequences, either by keyboard...

There are direct bindings to some Jester commands and bindings to use the menu with keyboard or any other input device.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

5 hours ago, draconus said:

There are direct bindings to some Jester commands and bindings to use the menu with keyboard or any other input device.

But then we have to look at that keyboard or input device. There's no reason why the Jester wheel shouldn't orient to your view at the moment of activation. If I'm tally on a small group of moving vehicles I don't want to have to break my tally to ask Jester to do something.

On 4/22/2022 at 12:53 PM, Dragon1-1 said:

VAICOM plugin is payware, though, on top of the added cost of VAICOM itself. IMO, it should be possible to operate the Jester menu purely through static key sequences, either by keyboard of regular VoiceAttack. In older games you could build up muscle memory for every frequently used action so that I could just punch it in with a few keystrokes, I liked this far better than the clunky radial Jester menu or the stupid DCS dynamic comms menu. 

True! Not everything in life is free. 😉

VoiceAttack is currently 10 USD, and the complete VAICOM suite is 20 EUR. That's three beers in my currency. 😊

Cheers! 

Sounds like you need to go somewhere with cheaper beer. In my currency, you could eat for a day for that. And besides, I'm not paying for something that fixes a problem that should never have existed in first place. VAICOM is basically a great big hack for an engine-side problem, and one that's incompatible with the way I like to set my HOTAS up. For all I know, it'll be obsolete when new comms are implemented.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dragon1-1 said:

Sounds like you need to go somewhere with cheaper beer. In my currency, you could eat for a day for that. And besides, I'm not paying for something that fixes a problem that should never have existed in first place. VAICOM is basically a great big hack for an engine-side problem, and one that's incompatible with the way I like to set my HOTAS up. For all I know, it'll be obsolete when new comms are implemented.

Oh! I do not disagree. I just gave a tip on how to get a better experience! Pretty sure you can't totally remake it in VA even if they implemented all commands as keybinds, which VAICOM doesn't use.

Cheers!

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

Well, VAICOM ain't dead. Far from it! 😉

It's dead to me.  Glad to hear it was saved from the grave, but I'm still done with it. 

The functionality was always hit or miss, and it's just one more chance to be left high and dry following a patch.   

+1 to this request. I've been using VAICOM now but I still remember the issues before VAICOM in 2D and in VR. Having it populate in look direction would be great. However, I feel it's also too big and kills SA. There is a lot of negative space inside each slice of the Jester Pie so it could be trimmed down and placed offset from center a bit, so the users eyes can interpret the menu while also having enough visibility to maintain SA.

It's dead to me.  Glad to hear it was saved from the grave, but I'm still done with it. 
The functionality was always hit or miss, and it's just one more chance to be left high and dry following a patch.   
Well, then you should have written "dead for you", not for others of us.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Nealius said:

However, I feel it's also too big and kills SA. There is a lot of negative space inside each slice of the Jester Pie so it could be trimmed down and placed offset from center a bit, so the users eyes can interpret the menu while also having enough visibility to maintain SA.

You're free to mod the size yourself. One value in lua afair - there was a thread on this subforum.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

7 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

Well, then you should have written "dead for you", not for others of us.

It was dead when I wrote this post.  It was as dead for you as it was for me.  Do you understand how the passage of time works?  That things can happen, such as a community reviving it, doesn't change that this was accurate at the time I wrote it?

I'm glad they've revived it for you Fanboi's, but its being saved from the grave doesn't make what I wrote inaccurate.  It was dead.   And news flash: It will likely die again.

So much VAICOM water carrying here, when the point was the Jester menu should display, in VR, in the direction you are looking.  Period.  If I am focused anywhere besides straigt ahead, the system as it is, requires you to look away from whatever your focus is.  It's most noticebable in formation flight, but it rears it's head in any situation your focus ISN'T straight forward. 

It's a simple request that was made more pertinent by VAICOMs Christ like death and reserrection.  I'm glad it's working again for those who use it.  For those who don't, a simple fix to the Jester code would make things easier on the rest of us.  

Edited by cw4ogden
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, MAXsenna said:

@cw4ogden
Apologies, I have a couple of thousand posts to catch up with, so I didn't notice the date.
Cheers!

To you as well.  My frustrations with third party apps aren't your fault. 

VAICOM existed because Jester 1.0 never got a revamp.  The first attempt at making an AI RIO interface was a great effort, but it still has a couple of glaring shortcomings evidenced by the need for things like VAICOM and / or voice attack.

• Like 1

Am 17.4.2022 um 16:09 schrieb cw4ogden:

So, back to topic