Unit templates and server favorites got erased

Dscross

Hey everybody, 

I've been trying this out for the last couple days, no luck, so I'm posting it here.

A few days ago when I opened mission editor all my saved templates, including the stock ED templates, were gone. At the same time I also lost all my favorites and passwords to multi-player servers. 

Now this really sucks, because I make most of the squadron missions, and I had dozens of premade templates saved.  

I'm putting this here because I don't know what happened. It's possible I did something, but I wouldn't have messed with the template Lua files on purpose, or even accidently if I was paying any attention. But I'm not discounting that it happened because I did something. However, I'm pretty sure it wasn't me. 

I was (that day) working with the mist, ctld, csar Lua files, but again, I don't see any reason why I would have wiped my templates file and my server passwords file. 

Everything was fine, then my game crashed  in multi-player. I tried to log back on, and all my favorites were gone. The next day I found I was missing all my unit templates. (Like ALL OF THEM, 100% wiped)

Anyway, if this has happened to anyone else, or anyone knows why this might have happened, please let me know. Until then, I'll be remaking dozens of unit templates and saving them...

FYI: I'm making a mission with all the units and groups set out and I'll be posting it in the mission files when I get most of my templates remade, in case someone else wants them, or this has happened to anyone else. 

Thanks again, see you in the skies.

The Group Templates are stored on your /Saved Games/MissionEditor/ folder, are you sure that the file is empty or absent?  .. on my DCS it looks like this:

AUNYsq9.jpg

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

2 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

The Group Templates are stored on your /Saved Games/MissionEditor/ folder, are you sure that the file is empty or absent?  .. on my DCS it looks like this:

AUNYsq9.jpg

The file was there, but it and the "servers Passwords" files were both wiped. They have stuff in them now because I'm rebuilding all the templates and saving passwords again. For example in my passwords file, I had passwords for about 8 servers, now I have one, just the squadron server. 

2 hours ago, Dscross said:

The file was there, but it and the "servers Passwords" files were both wiped. They have stuff in them now because I'm rebuilding all the templates and saving passwords again

OK, I once had the same problem, and to make sure it never happened again I decided to move the more important folders of /Saved Games/DCS.openbet/ onto a Cloud storage that can support file versioning. On this image, the moved folders are those with the little arrow on their corner:

fAypnjc.jpg

I moved them using standard windows file management and then created these links using the mklink /J command of Windows.  The actual folders are on the cloud drive, like this:

khITlsB.jpg

For each file stored there, I can check what versions I have of it, the versions are created automatically each time the file is modified, and I can recover whatever version I want, just by clicking on it.

You still have to recreate your stuff manually, but this type of scheme ensures that in the future you will have an up to date backup 👍

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB