AI won't land on supercarrier despite landing clear

Ghostrider142

This is a problem I gave up on awhile ago, but I'd really like to figure it out. I have aircraft launching on cats 1 and 2, nothing launching from 3 or 4 and I have an E2-D Hawkeye approaching from 5nm out at 600ft and 270kn. I have Wpt1 bring it to within 2nm and then Wpt2 is a landing command.

I've even reduced its fuel to 10% and it simply turns away when it gets to Wpt1.

I have a sequential launch going on involving 2 Hornets, 2 Intruders and 2 Tomcats. The Tomcats are to use cats 3 and 4 only after the E2-D lands, but they are in parking until that happens, all the others use cats 1-2 sequentially.

I had this same issue last year in a different but similar set up.

Any ideas? 

i7-4770K @3.50GHz; EVGA 1070 8GB Superclocked; 16GB Ram; MSI Z97 Gaming; two Samsung 500GB SSD's in RAID; TrackIR; 32" 2560x1440 Samsung

AI in DCS don't like to do mixed take-off and landing operations even when they should easily be able to do so on an airbase, especially one with multiple runways. I haven't tested it specifically with the updated carrier behaviors, but as long as the other flights are set to uncontrolled and nothing else is actively trying to take-off I would think the landing aircraft should make an approach. 

There is the likelihood that the waypoints are a little too close for the landing aircraft to the ship. It can be like giving AI a task to bomb something while close to the target. The AI has predefined limits and it may be within those limits when given a task, thus it extends. At least with an airbase if you place it roughly in the right position, speed, and altitude the AI can do a direct approach. With the updated carrier pattern I think the AI pretty much have to go into the landing stack, be cleared, then line up for the initial, etc. 

Try working backwards, get the E-2 landing best how you want it and then add the other AI and see how it may or may not change the behavior. 

• Thanks 1

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Thanks for the explanation, makes me feel less like I'm taking crazy pills lol.

So I was letting the mission play through to watch the rest of it and lo and behold the E2-D eventually landed, but it was a good while after the last launch. However there were two Tomcats that were supposed to have launched but were stuck in parking hot, so maybe the issue is aircraft being on a cat or perhaps the fuel state can force a landing, because I started it with 10% fuel and this was at least 10-15 minutes later.

One other thing I need to check is the approach speed I set was way too high, when I looked at its landing speed afterwards it landed at 98kn.

Will keep trying, but now that I know this is a known issue I won't be so frustrated with it. Cheers.

i7-4770K @3.50GHz; EVGA 1070 8GB Superclocked; 16GB Ram; MSI Z97 Gaming; two Samsung 500GB SSD's in RAID; TrackIR; 32" 2560x1440 Samsung

• 2 months later...

I'm just trying to figure out what I need to do to get an airborne F/A-18 AI to land on the carrier WHILE I'm sitting on the deck cold. It appears the deck is set up for Launch and not allowing Recovery. Capt. AI just keeps flying around at 3,000ft. Is this a 'trigger' thing?

Asus B85 Pro Gamer - 32GB - Intel® Core i5-4460 CPU - SanDisk SDSSDXPS480G -Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

TrackIR5 - TM Warthog HOTAS Stick & Throttle - TM Cougar MFCDs - TM TPR Rudder Pedals - Razer Orbweaver - SoundBlasterX G5 DAC

• 2 months later...
On 6/24/2022 at 10:34 PM, AvgWhiteGuy said:

I'm just trying to figure out what I need to do to get an airborne F/A-18 AI to land on the carrier WHILE I'm sitting on the deck cold. It appears the deck is set up for Launch and not allowing Recovery. Capt. AI just keeps flying around at 3,000ft. Is this a 'trigger' thing?

I have the same question. I just want the AI aircraft to land on the carrier whilst I'm cold starting on the deck. 

• PC Specs: Intel i7 9700, Nvidia RTX 2080S, Corsair 64G DDR4, MSI B360M Mortar Titanium, Intel 760P M.2 256GB SSD + Samsung 1TB SSD, Corsair RM650x
  • Flight Gears: Logitech X56 HOTAS & Flight Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2
  • Modules: F-14A/B, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AV-8B, A-10C I/II, Supercarrier, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

Project: Operation Hormuz [F/A-18C Multiplayer Campaign]

On 8/31/2022 at 5:29 PM, toutenglisse said:

You can try :

It works! Thank you Toutenglisse, you're a magician! 

• Like 1
  • PC Specs: Intel i7 9700, Nvidia RTX 2080S, Corsair 64G DDR4, MSI B360M Mortar Titanium, Intel 760P M.2 256GB SSD + Samsung 1TB SSD, Corsair RM650x
  • Flight Gears: Logitech X56 HOTAS & Flight Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2
  • Modules: F-14A/B, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AV-8B, A-10C I/II, Supercarrier, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

Project: Operation Hormuz [F/A-18C Multiplayer Campaign]