Operation Hormuz Freedom?

dresoccer4

Yes, definitely buy it.  I'm on the final mission of Hormuz Freedom, and it's been a great campaign.  It has a few rough edges (formatting, misspellings, some radio frequencies are inconsistent across briefings/kneeboard, etc), all consistent with a 1.0 release.  But the overall experience has been one of the best campaigns I've flown yet.  You really get the feel of the US Navy "kicking in the door" to the Straits of the Hormuz, dealing with setbacks and having some very creative operations.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Istari6 said:

Yes, definitely buy it.  I'm on the final mission of Hormuz Freedom, and it's been a great campaign.  It has a few rough edges (formatting, misspellings, some radio frequencies are inconsistent across briefings/kneeboard, etc), all consistent with a 1.0 release.  But the overall experience has been one of the best campaigns I've flown yet.  You really get the feel of the US Navy "kicking in the door" to the Straits of the Hormuz, dealing with setbacks and having some very creative operations.  

i'm trying out mission 1 but find it kind of odd. normally campaigns start out slower, showing you the field of operations and introducing you to the characters and standard op procedures.

mission one seems to throw you in with all the weapons in the thick of it and not much to go on, hardly any introductions or instructions. but i'm comparing to the Paradise Lost & Museum Relic campaigns which are pretty story-heavy and start slow while building up to the big times. i prefer campaigns that way. but i'll give this one some more time and we'll see how it goes

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

The thing is, I've heard so many users saying that they are skipping the first 2 3 missions in campaigns, exactly because of that. And, little do you know, that's a slow start. 😄 

1 hour ago, dresoccer4 said:

i'm trying out mission 1 but find it kind of odd. normally campaigns start out slower, showing you the field of operations and introducing you to the characters and standard op procedures.

mission one seems to throw you in with all the weapons in the thick of it and not much to go on, hardly any introductions or instructions. but i'm comparing to the Paradise Lost & Museum Relic campaigns which are pretty story-heavy and start slow while building up to the big times. i prefer campaigns that way. but i'll give this one some more time and we'll see how it goes

The thing is, I've heard so many users saying that they are skipping the first 2 3 missions in campaigns, exactly because of that. And, little do you know, that's a slow start. 😄 

You have to know the Harrier coming into this campaign.  It's not going to teach you the Harrier the way an included campaign might.  I'm flying this after flying the Ottoman Courier Prologue and Sky Warrior campaigns, so pretty comfortable with the Harrier's procedures.  But I personally like the way the campaign starts off with a crisis situation in Mission 01 and escalates into a realistic war from there.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think its really good too, and nice to have a campaign that isn't there to tutor you through the first few missions. The type of campaigns that do that are awesome, don't get me wrong, but I also like it when a creator challenges the player to know the aircraft well right off the bat.

4 hours ago, SorelRo said:

see that just blows my mind 😄 
my favorite campaigns are the one that slowly build, like a good novel. i guess some people are impatient. but to each their own

• Like 1

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

1 hour ago, dresoccer4 said:

my favorite campaigns are the one that slowly build, like a good novel. i guess some people are impatient. but to each their own

I'm with you. Even with airframes that I'm comfortable with, I like an intro phase to get to know the story, local environs, etc.

• Like 1

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

47 minutes ago, unlikely_spider said:
2 hours ago, dresoccer4 said:

I'm with you. Even with airframes that I'm comfortable with, I like an intro phase to get to know the story, local environs, etc.

These aren't necessarily the same thing.  I agree that a campaign that eases you into the story and theater is welcome.  For example, I love campaigns that offer a starting mission where you're the new pilot in the operational theater, so you're doing a check flight first to understand the front line, local nav points, etc.  That's great, but it's different from a campaign that is easing you into the aircraft itself, starting with easy milk runs and then adding difficulty later on the assumption you're learning the plane along the way.  Hormuz Freedom feels much more like a real pilot in a real war, where you need to be proficient in the aircraft right from the beginning, then deal with the changing situation and missions as the war proceeds.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dresoccer4 said:

Just imagine how easy it is for the campaign creators to try to find the right balance. 😄

7 hours ago, SorelRo said:

Just imagine how easy it is for the campaign creators to try to find the right balance. 😄

might as well just go ahead and make two separate campaigns for the different tastes 😉. twice as fun for you! 😂

6 hours ago, dresoccer4 said:

might as well just go ahead and make two separate campaigns for the different tastes 😉. twice as fun for you! 😂

Not a bad idea, making them is fun, supporting them it's just a tad more complicated. 

• Like 1