Non-centering Pedals?

Looking to get some pedals for helo flying, however all the ones i'm looking at are self-centering. Anyone know of any non-self centering pedals, or pedals you can adjust to turn self centering on or off? thanks!

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

35 minutes ago, Thadiun Okona said:

With the spring out it doesn't matter what cam is in but more importantly for Helis if op goes that route be sure to get the damper for it... they'd be very nice with like that with the damping dialed high enough

can you explain? not sure what you're talking about

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

1 hour ago, dresoccer4 said:

can you explain? not sure what you're talking about

It was suggested to remove the spring (for centering) and switch cams. I pointed out that without the spring on it, it doesn't matter what cam profile (different cam profiles have different centering feel) was on it.

Helicopter controls don't have spring centering so people usually use damping to give it *some* kind of feel and helps with precision. Crosswind pedals have the option to also use a nice damper on it made for motorcycle steering. If you were using it for helis without the spring, you can adjust the damping force from really light to really strong to suit your taste.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Thadiun Okona said:

It was suggested to remove the spring (for centering) and switch cams. I pointed out that without the spring on it, it doesn't matter what cam profile (different cam profiles have different centering feel) was on it.

Helicopter controls don't have spring centering so people usually use damping to give it *some* kind of feel and helps with precision. Crosswind pedals have the option to also use a nice damper on it made for motorcycle steering. If you were using it for helis without the spring, you can adjust the damping force from really light to really strong to suit your taste.

gotcha. yeah dampening would be ideal as you need some sort of resistance or else it'll be too limp. these "Crosswind" pedals allow for dampened, non-centering feedback?

9 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

I opted for these, so I could install a damper and have toebrakes.

https://slawdevice.com/en/rudder-pedals/18-pre-order-rh-rotor-rudder-pedals.html

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

jeebus, thats as expensive as a real plane 😉 

• Like 1

The pedals must be damped..... it is very important when choosing your pedals!

There must be no self centring for choppers.

More importantly you must be able to quickly reconfigure to self centring and be able to adjust the damping factor as they are not the for same jets, props and choppers. 

Edited by Rogue Trooper
  • Like 1

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

most of the cheaper ones from logitec and TM etc. that i've experimented with have a centre deadzone that is in the firmware and can't be removed, should you decide to remove the spring. I ended up swapping out the pcb with an arduino in the Logitech ones below. Overall they still feel pretty junky compared to the more expensive ones.

image.png

Edited by Dogmanbird

I have the crosswinds and can confirm just pulling the spring off is quite nice for helicopters, you don't really need the damper for this either, but as it's a mere £50 upgrade options with all the needed kit I can't recommend it more it completely transformed the feel of the pedals for the better and not for just helicopters the damper is a nice upgrade even for just flying the hornet.

Pulling the spring off just a hardware thing, so you don't even have to turn off the game to do it.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

On 4/25/2022 at 11:33 PM, Dogmanbird said:

I wanted compact pedals that I could quickly switch between heli and planes, also with toe brakes, so I created these no-frills ones. They've been working well for me the last year or more. 3 hall sensors and an arduino and about $70 to build. I've refined them a little more since the video below

https://i.imgur.com/s83c4ed.mp4

pretty cool for a home build. i especially like the rubber bands on the toe brakes 😄 

• Like 1