Virpil Rotary Encoders on AH-64

Hello!

This is my first weekend playing DCS and I'm loving it.

I've started configuring the keys for my AH-64 and I'm having some trouble with Virpil's rotary encoders. Although I sucessfully assigned the FLIR constrast button, the increments are not smooth. When I rotate the knob, it jumps from 0 to 25%, 50% and so on. Is there are way to make smaller increments, like 5% rather than 25%?

I had similar issues on IL-2, but in that case the increments were so small that you had to turn to knob over and over just to see some 10% in the end.

I finally just got my CM3 throttle, and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do this... I am completely clueless when it comes to stuff like setting up stick configurations. I usually just go for whatever it is out-of-the-box.

Is there just a basic step-by-step guide for idiots like me that explains how to create a virtual axis that can be used for the zoom function in DCS? Particularly I'd like to use the encoder dial on the right side of the throttle for it.

On 4/19/2022 at 9:56 AM, noisy_lightning said:

Unfortunately, in this thread the guy had already apparently set up his 'virtual axis' - I don't even know how to get to that point! I've watched the relevant Havoc Company Youtube videos but can't find a clear explanation there - as useful as those videos are! Again - I am fully a hardware idiot.

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

it's ok, it's still on the software side though - I'm sure it's doable although never used or needed it. once mastered we can maybe one day venture into using actual midi audio devices as virtual or hardware axises and devices in dcs or for most sims/applications. 🥳

image.png.54b7081de7201cd6b79d4a6cef3377

Edited by osram

On 4/20/2022 at 5:40 PM, LooseSeal said:

I finally just got my CM3 throttle, and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do this... I am completely clueless when it comes to stuff like setting up stick configurations. I usually just go for whatever it is out-of-the-box.

Is there just a basic step-by-step guide for idiots like me that explains how to create a virtual axis that can be used for the zoom function in DCS? Particularly I'd like to use the encoder dial on the right side of the throttle for it.

Unfortunately, in this thread the guy had already apparently set up his 'virtual axis' - I don't even know how to get to that point! I've watched the relevant Havoc Company Youtube videos but can't find a clear explanation there - as useful as those videos are! Again - I am fully a hardware idiot.

Something to be aware of with these devices is how they number their buttons etc. There are physical buttons, and logical buttons. Physical buttons are the raw data that the device sees when you press something. Logical is what it sends to Windows, and is the button number which will show up in DCS when you press something. These do not always match up!

1. On the main software screen click the axis button on the left to take you to the Axis screen.
  2. Find the next new blank line under your existing axis and double click it.
  3. For the first encoder Under "Joystick Logical (output)" set it to Dial next to Axis Name. If you want to setup both encoder dials then the second one needs to be set to "Slider" in this pull down menu, when you repeat this entire guide for the second Encoder.
  4. "Axis Source (Input)" Select Virtual for Type and set Smoothing to x8.
  5. "Button to Axis" - This section is where you say which buttons you want to control the axis with. For example 61, 62, 63 for Encoder 1 (E1 -as printed on the throttle) and 64, 65 & 66 for E2. These numbers are the physical buttons, NOT LOGICAL. 
  6. To work out which button number you need to use for Up, Down and Button RESET, open the VPC Config tool (button bottom of the main window). Then rotate the dial and make a note of the number that turns blue.
  7. Set the Up, Down and reset values to the button numbers you established from the step above.
  8. In the latest software version from 0% to 100% on the virtual axis is based on a value of 60000. If you want each notch on the Virtual Axis to be 5% set the step value to "3000" and if you want it to be 10% set it to be 6000. Set "Reset Value" to 30000" which will set it to 50% when you depress the encoder, if you want the reset to be 0% set it to 0, if you want to 100% set this to 60000.
  9. Leave everything else as it is as default. Press Save at the bottom. 
  10. Hit the big green button at the top "Save VPC Device" and let the software save the profile to your throttle.
  11. When the software reloads press "VPC Joy Tester" at the bottom of the main window and test the Axis is working properly.

Edited by noisy_lightning
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...