Thrustmaster Warthog Stick CMS Removal

Hattricx

The CMS on my stick has stopped working in two directions so I figured I would fix it since I have the parts lying around. I've disassembled the stick but I can't actually remove the CMS.

There are two clips holding it in place, one that I can press down, and one that is hidden on the opposite side and it doesn't seem accessible with the medal stick frame in the way. I was wondering if anyone had some experience with this, maybe I'm missing something obvious. I've attached pictures as a reference.

I checked this guide but this isn't discussed. https://howtofixitbyyourself.blogspot.com/2017/02/thrustmaster-warthog-joystic.html

Thanks

cms1.jpg

cms2.jpg

I took out my CMS just yesterday and it cost me some time managing how to push the hidden tab. At the end I forced the CMS and it popped out. Luckily the tab wasn't broken.

No idea how repair techs manage to take it out without using brute force...

Edited by deeleyer

I recently did something similar with my Hornet grips' weapon select switch, which is mounted in a similar manner to the CMS on the Viper grip. One clip I could access and push in, the other was inaccessible. Ended up using a medium flat head screwdriver and giving it a firm push to force it out after pushing up the one side of the switch up and out of the hole slightly. Didn't damage the hole or the clip I couldn't get to either.

PC: MSI X670E, Ryzen 9 7900X, 64GB DDR5 RAM, RTX 3090 Ti, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight pedals, Opentrack

Link to my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/DieselThunderAviation

Commander, 62nd Virtual Fighter Squadron

Join the 62nd VFS today! Link to our discord server: https://discord.gg/Z25BSKk84s

Patch_v1.2 small.jpg

I had to remove the WSS switch on the Hornet grip twice - when I bought the grip it was getting stuck in two positions, forward and back. Unfortunately I found out I had no Thrustmaster warranty since I bought the stick through the Ebay site (even though it was a new stick, and sale was made by a large store, not individual). But the store agreed to cover the cost of the new button from Thrustmaster support. The other option was returning the stick, but I would be loosing shipping both ways.

I also had a hard time getting the switch out. I tried to push the hidden clip with some random things but it was just too inaccessible. So I used brute force, but I damaged the old (already malfunctioning) switch in the process. I installed the new WSS (without thoroughly checking it first), but it was getting stuck too, this time just in one direction. Thrustmaster did send me another one for free after I made necessary videos, and this time I prepared myself and created a "WSS switch extraction tool" - a small cheap screwdriver that I bent 90 degrees and also bent the tip a bit.

6k8cdKf.jpg

It was a bit too thick so I couldn't quite reach the clip with ease, but after a couple of tries i hit near enough so it released and the switch fell out. You see the dents on the switch in the image - they look deep but they are more or less scratches. So if I would make it again I'd grind the first centimetre or two to a thinner shape. Thrustmaster could have easily included such a tool with their switches which have inaccessible clips, it would cost them peanuts. And it's a bit offensive that they don't even acknowledge the difficulty of removing the switches in their PDF guide and technical support communication.

Edited by Bwaze
  • Like 1

I would suggest drilling a tiny hole on the stick body at the location of the clip, a hole just big enough for a paper clip. It’s not dissimilar to the mechanical SIM card ejection “hole.” TM should have designed that in.

Edited by Hempstead
  • Like 1