Training Missions

dburne

There are presently 4 training missions in the game for the Apache.

Cold Start, Takeoff Hover and Transition, Navigation, and Guns.

I assume there will be likely more coming in the near future? Yeah I know we have Wags videos but I really do better with training missions and repeating them over and over until they really sink in. So far I have cold start down, takeoff hover and flying around pretty much down along with landings. Starting to get a good handle on adding TSD points from the Kneeboard, doing ok with rocket deployment - this one I handled I think ok on my own, that is about as far as I have gotten so far. 

I am really hoping that we will see more training missions and hopefully sooner rather than later.

• Like 2

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I'm sure they will add more. The thing is, there's still quite a few features missing, so creating training missions now will require a lot of mission editor rework later when more features are added.

You're definitely right about the interactive training though. Especially in VR they are very helpful! (switching back and forth between VR and YouTube is a pita)

• Like 3

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

There will be a full set, I'm sure. It's very early in EA and only a few very basic ones have been published so far.

Look at the Viper, a couple of years on and still a big gap to be filled with 2-6, 11-14 and 17-25 published so far.

It is frustrating, but understandable that the TMs take some time when the aircraft are missing features in EA, and it is expensive to have to redo them at a later date.

There are examples of devs doing TMs early and then they don't get updated when new/changed features come along. This just adds frustration for the user.

• Like 2

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Thanks guys I will keep persevering on. Yeah I don't need any more frustration added as I continue my learning lol.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I have issues with the navigation training mission being stuck when activating the guns.

• Like 1

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

9 minutes ago, sobe said:

I have issues with the navigation training mission being stuck when activating the guns.

We went through all that already, didn't we?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

2 hours ago, sobe said:

I don't recall guns being involved in the Navigation Training mission. Nor any weapons for that matter.

• Like 1

Don B

He means the Guns Training Mission. See the linked thread.

Well  I completed a milestone for me this morning. Loaded up the Persian Gulf Cold Start mission. Started up the Apache and then went in and entered a target point for the island with the practice targets. Successfully few to the island, shot some of the targets with my smoke rockets, and successfully entered a direct to path for my airfield. Made it back and even landed with no problem. 

Woohoo some progress anyway. Ok on to some gun training now.

• Like 3

Don B

Nice one!

• Like 1

Holy crap that guns training mission is throwing up bunch of new stuff at me including working as the CP/G. Lot of info in there I need to digest, this one will take me some time. Going to call it a day after my success earlier and maybe start fresh anew with the guns training in the morning.

There are only like 4-5 button assignments for the George AI Helper but not sure how to get to the fields to enter them, like altitude and speed... I am sure it will all come together for me at some point.

Edited by dburne

Don B

7 minutes ago, dburne said:

here are only like 4-5 button assignments for the George AI Helper but not sure how to get to the fields to enter them,

W, S, A, D - A and D - if pushed and held will move the heading pointer around the compass. W and S - if pressed briefly will increase/decrease speed - is pressed and held will adjust the height. I think! Just done the gun training missions and by the time I had figured out how to send commands to George couldn't figure out how to get the gun online!

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X; ASUS ROG Strix X570-F, Corsair Vengeance 64 GB (2x 32GB) 3600MHz; Seagate FireCuda 510 500GB M.2-2280 (OS); Samsung 860 EVO 2TB M.2-2280 (DCS); MSI GeForce RTX 3090 SUPRIM X 24GB OC GPU. TM Warthog Hotas; T.Flight Pedals; DelanClip/Trackhat.

56 minutes ago, dburne said:

Holy crap that guns training mission is throwing up bunch of new stuff at me including working as the CP/G. Lot of info in there I need to digest, this one will take me some time. Going to call it a day after my success earlier and maybe start fresh anew with the guns training in the morning.

There are only like 4-5 button assignments for the George AI Helper but not sure how to get to the fields to enter them, like altitude and speed... I am sure it will all come together for me at some point.

I think we're getting OT here, but but this is a great set of docs for the kneeboard. 

AH-64D Kneeboards by AKA_Relent (ED forums: 609_Relentov) (digitalcombatsimulator.com)

Thanks to AKA_Relent for that.  I've attached the George summary from that set. Incredibly useful. Just drop it into the Apache kneeboard folder.

AH-64D - GEORGE QUICK REFERENCE.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Leg2ion said:

W, S, A, D - A and D - if pushed and held will move the heading pointer around the compass. W and S - if pressed briefly will increase/decrease speed - is pressed and held will adjust the height. I think! Just done the gun training missions and by the time I had figured out how to send commands to George couldn't figure out how to get the gun online!

Much thanks appreciate it!

1 hour ago, imacken said:

I think we're getting OT here, but but this is a great set of docs for the kneeboard. 

AH-64D Kneeboards by AKA_Relent (ED forums: 609_Relentov) (digitalcombatsimulator.com)

Thanks to AKA_Relent for that.  I've attached the George summary from that set. Incredibly useful. Just drop it into the Apache kneeboard folder.

AH-64D - GEORGE QUICK REFERENCE.png

That's ok as it is my topic and I asked lol. :renske:

Thanks much should be very helpful!

Edited by dburne

Don B

I was wondering when and how I was going to get around to learning some of the CPG functions, glad I see it now in the guns training mission. So my goal tomorrow will be to have everything set up right and get to actually use the guns as CPG. Will see how it goes. At least for now it is the last training mission for me, so that would be a good accomplishment in and of itself for me.

Looking forward afterward to maybe learning the hellfires, somehow... will cross that bridge when I get to it. I am sure I will need to watch some videos on that over and over. But first, got to get this CPG and guns down pat.

Not quite ready to order a collective at least yet...

Edited by dburne

Don B

Oh my I personally think ED would have done well having separate CP/G and George AI training missions rather than trying to cram it all in the Guns Training Mission.

I am just getting into it and already fairly frustrated. One would think the Pilot would actually be able to fly the helicopter and do some navigating at the same time rather than rely on CP/G to tell him where and how to fly... 

I will keep persevering though and I am sure eventually overcome this one. Going to take me a while though I think. It is just quite a bit to learn at one time.

Edited by dburne

Don B

Not sure I see what you mean, Don.  If you are handling the weapons as CPG then George will have to fly surely?  Having said that, you could take control of the aircraft away from George as CPG and ignore what the instructor says, but I think it's a useful lesson for learning a few basic George commands as well.

In the TM, you get a chance to use the weapons with the CPG and then, after you've completed that, you do it as the pilot and in that part, you are doing the flying.

24 minutes ago, imacken said:

Not sure I see what you mean, Don.  If you are handling the weapons as CPG then George will have to fly surely?  Having said that, you could take control of the aircraft away from George as CPG and ignore what the instructor says, but I think it's a useful lesson for learning a few basic George commands as well.

In the TM, you get a chance to use the weapons with the CPG and then, after you've completed that, you do it as the pilot and in that part, you are doing the flying.

Yeah I am getting there slowly, may take another day or two but I will get this. Like I said though at least for me this is a lot to learn crammed into one training mission.  Yeah George does fly but I direct him where to fly at what speed and altitude. Thus having to learn the intricacies of how to communicate this stuff to him. It is just a process for me and one I will have to repeat many times over to truly learn it. There was a time I did not think I would ever get navigation down but I did , so yeah I will eventually get this.  I have a memory impairment now so it takes me a lot longer than it used to. 

Don B

Just make sure you have the George Quick reference chart above to hand in your kneeboard. Makes life a lot easier!

48 minutes ago, imacken said:

Just make sure you have the George Quick reference chart above to hand in your kneeboard. Makes life a lot easier!

Yeah I do thanks, got it in the Kneeboard already - very helpful!

On first stage of training I make it to the insurgent targets ok but can't seem to get the guns to fire. I pull the first detent for the laser range finder and it return BAL Limit showing range of 9999. I pull second detent and nothing happens but shows a proper range then. I have gone through it a couple of times and insured I was within 2.5 KM of the target but keep getting the above result.

Well crap never mind I just double checked, appears I had the wrong trigger assignments for the CPG. I think I got it correct now will report back in a bit.

Don B

I have a stupid question from the first part of of the guns training mission.

If I designate a target point and set it as a direct to point on the TSD, why then do I need to direct George AI to the bearing to fly to for the target point?

• Like 1

Don B

AFAIK, you cannot tell George to go to a point. You must direct him to a bearing. 

• Like 1

Ugh that wasn't it for my trigger.

Can someone please tell me the exact assignments in controls for CP/G first and second trigger detents for laser range finder and gun trigger? Seems I get one working but not the other. I get too flustered too easily.

Edited by dburne

Don B

Weapon trigger is the same as all other triggers with first and second detents. 
Re laser, I bind the second detent to the brake lever on my VPC Alpha grip. Don’t bother with first detent. 

Just now, imacken said:

Weapon trigger is the same as all other triggers with first and second detents. 
Re laser, I bind the second detent to the brake lever on my VPC Alpha grip. Don’t bother with first detent. 

Ok much thanks I will get those set and try again.

Don B