Training Missions

dburne

You don’t need the laser for the gun. I find that Auto ranging works just as  well. 

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

23 minutes ago, imacken said:

Weapon trigger is the same as all other triggers with first and second detents. 
Re laser, I bind the second detent to the brake lever on my VPC Alpha grip. Don’t bother with first detent. 

Woohoo I smoked that first group of insurgents with my gun.

Thank you so very much! I did the same and assigned the laser range finder to the paddle on my Gunfighter stick, and of course weapon triggers to first and second detent on my trigger.

Only completed that first section but for today I am very happy now I got it to work so thanks again for all the help!

22 minutes ago, imacken said:

You don’t need the laser for the gun. I find that Auto ranging works just as  well. 

Augh lol now ya tell me! LOL, guess I have not got that far in my training yet but sounds like it would be nice for sure.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

@dburne think you may be in the same boat as me. All lined up - target visually acquired, lased, lased and lased again. Switched to guns....annnnnd...nothing.

Went round the buoy a few times on this. DO NOT FORGET to map the trigger guard open/close function and then open it - otherwise nothing happens...😂 

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X; ASUS ROG Strix X570-F, Corsair Vengeance 64 GB (2x 32GB) 3600MHz; Seagate FireCuda 510 500GB M.2-2280 (OS); Samsung 860 EVO 2TB M.2-2280 (DCS); MSI GeForce RTX 3090 SUPRIM X 24GB OC GPU. TM Warthog Hotas; T.Flight Pedals; DelanClip/Trackhat.

4 minutes ago, Leg2ion said:

@dburne think you may be in the same boat as me. All lined up - target visually acquired, lased, lased and lased again. Switched to guns....annnnnd...nothing.

Went round the buoy a few times on this. DO NOT FORGET to map the trigger guard open/close function and then open it - otherwise nothing happens...😂 

Well I don't recall mapping a trigger guard but somehow my guns worked fine lol.

Edit: Just went in and checked, no I do not have trigger guard mapped to any buttons for CP/G. My guns fired though maybe I manually opened it somehow during the training mission or something.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Trigger guard is necesarry on Pilot seat, not CP/G.

Also, lasing a target as CP/G for the gun versus using AUTO range (which is utilizing radar altitude and terrain data) are 2 different methods of employment. And they will differ in accuracy, promise.

Greetings

K

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Kharrn said:

Also, lasing a target as CP/G for the gun versus using AUTO range (which is utilizing radar altitude and terrain data) are 2 different methods of employment. And they will differ in accuracy, promise.

Greetings

K

Ok thanks - I "assume" at some point during this training mission I will learn about using Auto range? I will say using the laser got me some pretty good hits.

Edited by dburne

Don B

Funny thing about this particular training mission.

If I select to " Fly Again" or even back out to main menu and go back in to fly it again, then the gamma is much darker than the first time I load it up and fly it. However if I exit the game and restart it, then once again choosing to fly it the first time it is much brighter Any subsequent tries during the session and it gets much darker.

Don B

If I recall, all the displays are set to night in that mission. The first thing I did was switch them all to day. 

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

19 minutes ago, imacken said:

If I recall, all the displays are set to night in that mission. The first thing I did was switch them all to day. 

Yeah I have already been doing that. 

Don B

12 hours ago, Kharrn said:

Well that is odd, as the gun didn't function from the CPG seat until I raised the trigger guard. Will refly the mission and check - but had the same problem a few times whereby the gun wouldn't fire from CPG station - and cannot think why I would have been trying to fire from the pilots pos - as the initial steps of the training mission are all CPG. Definitely had a screen with handgrips either side staring at me.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X; ASUS ROG Strix X570-F, Corsair Vengeance 64 GB (2x 32GB) 3600MHz; Seagate FireCuda 510 500GB M.2-2280 (OS); Samsung 860 EVO 2TB M.2-2280 (DCS); MSI GeForce RTX 3090 SUPRIM X 24GB OC GPU. TM Warthog Hotas; T.Flight Pedals; DelanClip/Trackhat.

Yep, it seems like the trigger guard is not required when shooting from CPG, in any mission.

I wonder if that is intentional. It's not mentioned anywhere in the manual.

I might start a new thread and ask the question.

Got it. Thanks. 

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Toge:

CPG has two triggers - one on the TEDAC left hand grip, and one on the cyclic. They are separate bindings too. Only the cyclic has a trigger guard.

^ that

Just to re-cap:

Pilot

2 stage trigger with trigger guard on the cyclic (guard in reallife is springloaded and you have to kinda fiddel you finger under it, lifting it in the process / 1.detent will fire when system permits / 2.detent will fire overruling "some" system constraints - nfi)

CP/G

2 stage trigger with trigger guard on the cyclic (rarely used afaik, everything else like Pilot cyclic BUT you have to action ("WAS") the weapon with the collective WAS)

2 stage trigger on the LHG (TEDAC left hand grip) for firing weapon of choice (1.detent and 2.detent same as on the cyclic trigger BUT you have to action (WAS) the gun with the LHG WAS)

2 stage trigger on the RHG (TEDAC right hand grip) for laser usage (LRFD). Master Arm has to be on ("arm") to fire laser. 1.detent for short burst ranging. 2.detent for continous ranging and target designation for laser guidance (manual page 74).

Hope i got everything right in there 🙂

K

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Kharrn said:

Greetings

K

Got to experience the AUTO range  in the second part of that training mission this morning - yeah way cool and easier to use. I have trouble in manual keeping the the target in line with my sight as I close in once I unslave it. So I have now complete the guns training, but going to do it over and over a few times yet to get it all in my head.

• Like 1

Don B

Kharrn

Why can't the manual be written as clearly as your explanation.  I never realized the difference and always wondered why the gun did not work sometimes. 

I also set up a voice attack command that sets the master arm to arm and at the same time, opens the trigger guard so I don't forget to do that.

• Like 1

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

vor 25 Minuten schrieb sobe:

Kharrn

Why can't the manual be written as clearly as your explanation.  I never realized the difference and always wondered why the gun did not work sometimes. 

I also set up a voice attack command that sets the master arm to arm and at the same time, opens the trigger guard so I don't forget to do that.

thy for the kind words 🙂 Though i have to say, much of this is written in the manual, expecially under "gun employment" and the rest is scattered in the cockpit overview and controls sections. But i know what you mean, manuals per se can be a difficult read. Just remember that the 'quick start manual' we got is also WiP! so after EA i guess ED will have a fully fledged out manual for the AH64D. During early access always except a lot of trial and error without lots of advice or documentation. For me, that is the fun in EA. There is always something new to find out around the corner (plus i have much time during train rides to watch youtube vids ^^)

K

• Like 1

Ah I am making really good progress now in firing the guns. Still need to do it a few times to get it to sink in for me. I really like using the AUTO method.

Rockets - I have been doing ok with them by just lining up the two vertical bars. I assume this is the only way to target with the rockets? That leaves me I guess with just the Hellfires, I will search for some videos on those. Thanks to all for the help!! 

Don B

The Hellfires are the easiest. Just find the target with the TADS, lase it and fire!

1 hour ago, imacken said:

The Hellfires are the easiest. Just find the target with the TADS, lase it and fire!

Thanks good to know I will have to give that a try here very soon!

I may be further along with my learning of this thing than I thought.

Edited by dburne

Don B

On 4/19/2022 at 2:11 AM, sirrah said:

I'm sure they will add more. The thing is, there's still quite a few features missing, so creating training missions now will require a lot of mission editor rework later when more features are added.

You're definitely right about the interactive training though. Especially in VR they are very helpful! (switching back and forth between VR and YouTube is a pita)

I can never hear the instructor talking when in training missions, It sounds like he is outside next to the engine.

On 4/21/2022 at 3:15 PM, imacken said:

No No guns are the easiest and you can shoot anything! Go nuts!

Frankly I find all the weapons easy to deploy and use, once you find the correct buttons to push. 

On 4/21/2022 at 12:44 PM, sobe said:

Kharrn

DCS manuals generally sux. They tell you about the systems but  many times don't tell you anything abou how to  use them. The last good manual I read was for the first A10. Yeah a long time ago.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pii said:

DCS manuals generally sux. They tell you about the systems but  many times don't tell you anything abou how to  use them. The last good manual I read was for the first A10. Yeah a long time ago.

I certainly would not agree with that statement.

15 minutes ago, pii said:

I can never hear the instructor talking when in training missions, It sounds like he is outside next to the engine.

Just in case: You do have the "hear like in helmet" audio option tickbox enabled, don't you? 

• Like 1

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

5 hours ago, pii said:

No No guns are the easiest and you can shoot anything! Go nuts!

Frankly I find all the weapons easy to deploy and use, once you find the correct buttons to push. 

LOL maybe that is what I need to start doing, just start mashing buttons and see what happens. Still doing the guns training mission over and over until I know it by heart and feel I can deploy them in combat with no issue. Once I have emptied the gun I finish off some of the rest with rockets before landing and ending the mission.

My big problem is the second half of that training mission where I am using the gun as Pilot. I have a hard time getting the chopper in a stable hover for firing the gun. Another reason I keep doing it over and over. Yeah I can active pause, but where is the fun in that.

Edited by dburne

Don B