Training Missions

dburne

7 hours ago, dburne said:

My big problem is the second half of that training mission where I am using the gun as Pilot. I have a hard time getting the chopper in a stable hover for firing the gun.

Don't go into a hover!  Remember it's your LOS from your head movement that is the aim, so you don't have to manoeuvre the aircraft to aim. 

• Like 2

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

7 hours ago, imacken said:

Don't go into a hover!  Remember it's your LOS from your head movement that is the aim, so you don't have to manoeuvre the aircraft to aim. 

:thumbup:

Just ran through it this morning, did pretty good I will say - no hover, no active pause. Thanks for the encouragement!

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Don, as an aside, try the Weapons Range Instant Action missions.  They are perfect for practising your weapon skills.

• Like 1

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

2 hours ago, imacken said:

Don, as an aside, try the Weapons Range Instant Action missions.  They are perfect for practising your weapon skills.

Ok thanks will check it out. Just want to make sure I have all the preparation stuff down pat.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

14 hours ago, imacken said:

Agree

Especially the Marianas one is ideal for a quick target practice session, as it's super close to the range

(Currently the rearm function is bugged though, but that has been reported/acknowledged by ED)

• Like 1

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

On 4/25/2022 at 11:11 AM, imacken said:

So I gave it a try to see about launching some hellfires and that did not work so well. Now I am looking at Wags videos and yeah I see where there is a little more involved with these getting them and a target set up. Maybe a lot more involved. Back to ground school via videos for this one as no training mission for it yet.  Guess I could fly as Pilot and let George handle most of that hopefully lol.

Don B

Hey were you able to complete the 30mm gun training mission? I failed to activate the trigger after going into the pilot seat and suppressing the AA on the red smoke, Do you actually have to destroy those targets? I just shot at them but didn't get any kills. edit: actually I managed to complete it, I did have to get hits on the target for the trigger to activate. 

Edited by ChessurCat

2 hours ago, ChessurCat said:

Hey were you able to complete the 30mm gun training mission? I failed to activate the trigger after going into the pilot seat and suppressing the AA on the red smoke, Do you actually have to destroy those targets? I just shot at them but didn't get any kills. edit: actually I managed to complete it, I did have to get hits on the target for the trigger to activate. 

:thumbup:

Good deal. Yeah no problem on completing it on this end finally, have done so several times.

Now I am trying to get my arms wrapped around hellfires, and particularly using the George AI to do the shooting. I really could use training missions for these but I guess it is what it is. We are just supposed to struggle through it and try to learn in the process I guess. Yeah I know there are videos but I have a bit of difficulty retaining the info in my mind. 

Don B

So is there ever a situation when George AI CP/G is telling me he is firing but actually he fires nothing should be happening?

I managed to get him to fire a few hellfires and a couple gun bursts but after that he was telling me the above yet nothing got fired. 

Don B

There are threads about this. Have a look around here, can't link atm.  Bottom line, you are not alone!

• Like 1

I give up for the day, now George AI is just firing hellfires way out into the distance rather than the target range we are shooting for. This time I was giving him full authority to fire the missiles.  Afraid today was not much productive for me at all. Frustrating. And yeah I watched Wags video on this several times earlier today.

Maybe take another look tomorrow.

Edited by dburne

Don B

Post a track, and I'll have a look.

2 minutes ago, imacken said:

Post a track, and I'll have a look.

Thanks but seems it is too big to post here.

Don B

On 4/25/2022 at 11:11 AM, imacken said:

Better yet set up your own  mission and adapt it as you learn new things. 

That would mean having some basic ME skills, which new learners probably don’t have!

Well I had slightly better luck this morning but a disastrous end. First I gave George the green light to handle targeting and firing the hellfires. We got a couple of vehicles first but then he proceeded on his own mind you targeting and shooting hellfires at a friendly ship! Then upon exiting the mission I got the - you have committed fratricide message. Ugh, that dang  George AI. NO idea how in the heck he managed to handle that ship all on his own.

This was at the shooting range in Marianas map. I thought George AI was supposed to make things easier on the pilot LOL.

Edited by dburne

Don B

I think it has been stated elsewhere that it is normally not a good idea to let George go "weapons free".  Tell him to search for targets, pick the target you want to hit from the list, then either fire the Hellfire yourself, or tell him to engage that one target.

The exception might be letting George clean up some residual infantry on the ground with guns, as long as there aren't any hard targets he might get distracted with. 

12 minutes ago, Floyd1212 said:

I think it has been stated elsewhere that it is normally not a good idea to let George go "weapons free".  Tell him to search for targets, pick the target you want to hit from the list, then either fire the Hellfire yourself, or tell him to engage that one target.

The exception might be letting George clean up some residual infantry on the ground with guns, as long as there aren't any hard targets he might get distracted with. 

Yeah I just tried that, now he is just not firing. I see the target cross, but I never see the Hellfire box in the HUD. He says firing but never fires. Got a couple ok on the first attempt but after that - nada just kept getting this same result. Think I may call it a day on that one, getting too frustrated at this point. I am sure there is a clue there in when he says firing but does not, I do not see the rectangle hellfire target box. But I see a cross pointing to the target. And he says lasing, but does not fire.

Don B

Yes, this has also been reported. 😕

I believe you can take matters into your own hands and WAS missiles and fire it yourself, while he has it lased.

This is currently being discussed here as well:

Edited by Floyd1212

1 hour ago, Floyd1212 said:

Yes, this has also been reported. 😕

I believe you can take matters into your own hands and WAS missiles and fire it yourself, while he has it lased.

This is currently being discussed here as well:

Ah ok then good to know it is not just me. Very frustrating when one is trying to learn. I will give that a shot thanks!!

Don B

Ok another maybe stupid question. When George AI scans for targets and returns them in the list, I go through and select one to hit. Shouldn't they be all enemy targets or does he not distinguish enemy from friendly? Pretty sure I hit some friendlies today from the list he returned at the shooting range Marianas map.

Edited by dburne

Don B

3 hours ago, Floyd1212 said:

He must be colorblind or something, and can't distinguish red from blue.  Yes, he does pick up friendlies in his target list, unfortunately.

:doh:

Don B

Ok so this morning I was starting to be successful with Hellfires at the Marianas Map weapon range. The first four or five worked perfectly and was hitting the targets I selected so I was feeling pretty good. Then CP/G just stopped working again. He would say firing but he never fires, and the targeting rectangle never shows up. 

Based on what I have read here guess this is just a bug currently. So my CP/G is only good for four or five hits maybe and then it is game over. I even tried changing trajectory types and launch types with no luck. Maybe I will try switching to rockets or guns and see if he will continue to at least try to hit something. So frustrating when one is trying to learn.

• Like 1

Don B

Yep, but I guess that's Early Access for you!