Adding Points/Areas/Lines/Zones in Mission Editor & saving data locally to hard drive

AvroLanc

Are the Lines and Areas features planned? Only when DTC implemented as DCS wide feature?

Likewise, maybe sooner, SHOT file and Shot TSD symbols? Easier to add since it’s just a target location and symbol when a Hellfire is fired. 

Thanks. 

• Like 1

This is a good question. A lot of stuff that's tagged as N/I in the manual makes sense to be that way when it comes to maintenance procedures, detailed comms ECCM stuff etc. But some of these missing TSD functions would be nice to have eventually. With that being said, these features aren't tagged as 'coming later', like the FCR or some datalink related stuff. I'm thinking that there's a chance this disctinction is made to showcase which features are planned and which aren't. Hope to be wrong.

9 hours ago, WobblyFlops said:

This is a good question. A lot of stuff that's tagged as N/I in the manual makes sense to be that way when it comes to maintenance procedures, detailed comms ECCM stuff etc. But some of these missing TSD functions would be nice to have eventually. With that being said, these features aren't tagged as 'coming later', like the FCR or some datalink related stuff. I'm thinking that there's a chance this disctinction is made to showcase which features are planned and which aren't. Hope to be wrong.

Yeah, it’s hard to make sense of the ‘coming later’ and ‘N/A‘ labels. In some places the FCR and RFI are labelled as NI, but those are clearly coming at some point.

There are also vast chunks of the COMM pages labelled as NI. At least some of that should be coming later, IDM text messages etc. 

The TSD stuff is important because it’s not sensitive (unlike some COMM stuff and some ASE stuff) and will add to the feeling of completeness. Some of it will be also easy-ish to add. 

Edited by AvroLanc

• 2 weeks later...

Hello ED,

First off thanks for the beast that is "Ugly"

Now I can actually get the thing airborne and am semi competent at the "blatblat, pewpew" elements how do I go about mission planning the TSD icons in the ME and is this possible? Having watched Wags' video on how to drop points using the TSD I was wondering if this can be done in the planning phase using the ME/Mission planner and uploaded via the DTU eg, known threats, preplanned targets etc.

• Like 3

Hi folks,

Anyone know if you can create anything else than WP in the mission editor ?

I tried naming the point "CM AE T72" (For example), didnot worked. [This can be a way of doing so if anybody from ED is listening, just saying' 😛]

So is it possible or coming later nor not plan ? 🙂

• Like 2

Do not try to name the type of point using the KEU. On the TSD, select POINT, then ADD at R2. You then see the different point types below it. WP, TG, CM, and HZ at R3-R6. Select the type there, then IDENT at R1.

It's important to select the right type before adding the IDENT abbreviation, as the some abbreviations are shared across types. Thus AE for a CM type might be something different for a TG type. Thanks to Raptor9 for pointing that out to me in another thread.

In your example I think it needs to be a case of select TG on the TSD, then TG for the IDENT (if that's going to be a mission target) followed be the free text, MGRS and altitude.

Edited by frostycab
Typos

• ED Team
46 minutes ago, frostycab said:

Do not try to name the type of point using the KEU.

He's talking about setting other types of points in the Mission Editor prior to the mission, other than just waypoints.

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

On 3/23/2022 at 3:34 PM, frostycab said:

Do not try to name the type of point using the KEU. On the TSD, select POINT, then ADD at R2. You then see the different point types below it. WP, TG, CM, and HZ at R3-R6. Select the type there, then IDENT at R1.

It's important to select the right type before adding the IDENT abbreviation, as the some abbreviations are shared across types. Thus AE for a CM type might be something different for a TG type. Thanks to Raptor9 for pointing that out to me in another thread.

In your example I think it needs to be a case of select TG on the TSD, then TG for the IDENT (if that's going to be a mission target) followed be the free text, MGRS and altitude.

On 3/23/2022 at 4:24 PM, Raptor9 said:

He's talking about setting other types of points in the Mission Editor prior to the mission, other than just waypoints.

Can't add anything on top of that 😛

So yeah, i know the procedure it's just long and painfull
. Just like many of the DCS planes that miss their MDC real bad. (No rush, no hurry ED, just feeling like whining a bit while enjoying the 64D would make me feel younger for a sec')

It would be really cool to be able to create waypoints on the mission editor with the 2 letter identier (ie: LZ, NF, FC...) and those being loaded on the aircraft with the correct symbol for more realistic and in depth missions.

As the alternative is manually putting all the waypoints while on the aircraft is not as easy to do. Also it could be a really good adition to the viper as now it displays the correct symbology on the HSD for the different points, again something that really helps with the SA and inmersion.

Thanks!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if we can get an official response to the LINES / AREAS/ SHOT features?

Are they planned for later, adding LINE and AREAS might be possible with the simple ME 'target point' feature that many third party modules use, ED's Ka-50 uses these as well? They could represent the 4 corners of an engagement area or points on a line..... avoiding the need to wait for a full DTC simulation / drawing tool. Maybe the Editor drawing tool could play a role here as well.

Adding the SHOT locations and TSD crosses/symbols should be an even simpler task as well. Dunno, just curious, planned or not?

Thanks.

On 4/5/2022 at 8:35 PM, llOPPOTATOll said:

I thought N/I meant not implemented, not “not going to be implemented”

It's impossible to know what ED want to implement and what they don't want to. Unless they explictly state that something is eventually going to be implemented we cannot assume that it will be. 

54 minutes ago, Fromthedeep said:

It's impossible to know what ED want to implement and what they don't want to. Unless they explictly state that something is eventually going to be implemented we cannot assume that it will be. 

Even that logic isn’t the most reliable…. Unless it turns up on your hard drive one day in a Open Beta update, you never really know.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Every time I lose an apache, or load into a server, I have to load in Farp's, airfields, hazards, waypoints, targets, etc.

It would be nice if we could save these locally, hand them out for planned missions to our group, etc. That way I can just load up all my planned data instead of using the KU to re-enter each and every time I spawn in.

Thanks in advance 😉

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The apache has many features for the TSD including fancy lines, dozens of control measures and pre planned target/threat points. It would be nice if we were able to utilize this stuff from the mission editor.

I'm not sure how much memory the apache has for lines but some would be better than none.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
Am 19.4.2022 um 04:31 schrieb Antix70:

Every time I lose an apache, or load into a server, I have to load in Farp's, airfields, hazards, waypoints, targets, etc.

It would be nice if we could save these locally, hand them out for planned missions to our group, etc. That way I can just load up all my planned data instead of using the KU to re-enter each and every time I spawn in.

Thanks in advance 😉

Such a tool(DTC) was already requested 10 years ago for Ka50, a10.

They are working on a global tool in this regard which will be available for all aircraft that had this function in real.

But the tool "theway" now provides some relief and adds waypoints automatically

Edited by Hobel
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hobel said:

Such a tool(DTC) was already requested 10 years ago for Ka50, a10.

They are working on a global tool in this regard which will be available for all aircraft that had this function in real.

But the tool "theway" now provides some relief and adds waypoints automatically

It doesn't work in VR, doesn't support the numerous WP/HZ/CM/etc that the Apache does, and isn't built into DCS.

• Like 1

vor 16 Stunden schrieb Antix70:

It doesn't work in VR, doesn't support the numerous WP/HZ/CM/etc that the Apache does, and isn't built into DCS.

I agree with them I also do not wish more ardently, but we have to wait.

"theway" was just a suggestion, a friend of mine also uses it with VR, but I have to ask him how he does it.

• Like 1