TM Cougar issue - All buttons simultaneously activate occasionally

sirrah

I haven't been using my TM Cougar much the last few years. I'm kinda waiting for a VR pilot body to be added to the Viper (until then, I just don't feel immersed in that empty pit) and then upgrade to a force sensing mod.

Since the Apache EA release I however started using my TM Cougar stick for the CP/G RHG.

Unfortunately though, it seems my beloved TM Cougar stick has an issue 😢

On some occasions (feels totally random), all the stick buttons are activated for a fraction of a second. (yet long enough for DCS to detect input)

I managed to capture the issue in a screenshot.

If I keep a button pressed (no matter which one) and then move my stick slightly around its center position, at some point, very briefly, all buttons activate for a split second.

image.png

Someone else already suggested that there might be an issue with the PS2 connection between the base and the grip (which would indeed make sense). But I can't see anything strange or loose.

Kind of a long shot, but does anyone have any ideas on what I could do about this?

Fwiw; I upgraded my throttle with the USB mod, so no interference possible on that side. My TM Cougar stick has a spring mod and hall sensors, but other than that (the PCB) it's original

Edited by sirrah
grammar

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

When I got (an) extention(s) for my Warthog, the cable(s) were so poorly made that shorts were soon developed, and I had the exact issue you seem to have, just all the time. Of you're comfortable with taking it apart and using a meter you might find you have some sort of short, that can easily be fixed with a soldering iron, or just "bending" some of the culprit cables/pins.

Another little tip. I know you have the Virpil collective. I don't have any Virpil's, but I use their excellent joystick tester app. Works with any stick/throttle/pedal, and I used it to test my findings and fixes, as it immediately shows which buttons are pressed or not, or have been.
If for some reason, there isn't a short, and you actually have a problem in the electronics, like the shift registers, I'm sure @rel4y might have a fix or suggestion.

Crossing my fingers for you!
Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

I'll give the Virpil joystick tester a go (if I find out how)

I did test the Cougar base with all 3 TM grips I have (Cougar F-16 grip, A-10 grip and F/A-18 grip). All gave the same error, so it's definitely the base 

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

• 3 weeks later...

Just in case someone else has the same issue at some point and reads this:

I found the issue

One of the 5-pin din connector wires (the red one) was broken and on some axis inputs I guess it lost contact entirely. Somehow the other cables and the crimp sleeve kept it together all this time.

Screenshot_20220429-165142_Gallery.jpg

I got myself a soldering iron (was about time I bought one...) and some new crimp sleeves and reconnected the red wire.

All working flawlessly again now! :cheer3nc:

Thanks @MAXsenna, that tip for removing the 5 pin connector was golden! Let me know if/when you pull the trigger on that VFS-WE. I think I'm gonna wait for a VR pilot body to be added to the Viper. Perhaps hardware prices are a tad lower by that time 🤞(I know... wishful thinking)

• Like 2

System specs: