Upcoming Jammer changes.

Ahmed

• 4 weeks later...
  • ED Team

Just to follow up on this, it is working as intended. 

With the changes coming to how radar and jammer behave together. 

thank you

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I’ll admit, this has me a little confused. In the Mini update, it states the following:

• Changed the Electronic Countermeasures, ECM, such that when in XMIT it will use radar in priority rather than jammer in priority. This will allow the radar to operate with ECM transmitting, but at a lower radar detection capability.

Maybe it’s just me, but this sounds more like Jammer Priority rather than Radar Priority. I would have thought in Radar Priority, the radar works correctly, and any interference from the jammer is minimised by reducing the jamming capabilities. What is described is the opposite, when the jammer is activated, radar capabilities are reduced to allow the jammer to function correctly, ie the jammer is the priority.

Seems backwards to me. Have I just got this wrong? If anyone could explain both options it would greatly appreciated.

Edited by norman99

As I understand it RADAR capability shouldn't be affected whatsoever. The only thing that would change (forcing of automatic radar channels) isn't possible in DCS anyway. (No radar freq simulation, nor channel functions)

There's certain circumstances where the jammer is dealing with multiple threats across multiple frequencies to the point the radar can't get out of the way, but again that can't be modeled in DCS yet. (At least ED hasn't worked on it)

So for current implementation levels ED could have a randomizer whether the radar is affected or not when the ASPJ is working on 3 or more threats within the radar FOV.

Jammer priority is what we have now - radar is shut off for best results in jamming. Radar priority let's radar wor with less quality of jamming (and detecting hits by radar).

It's this same in Viper.

• ED Team
2 hours ago, Hulkbust44 said:

As I understand it RADAR capability shouldn't be affected whatsoever. The only thing that would change (forcing of automatic radar channels) isn't possible in DCS anyway. (No radar freq simulation, nor channel functions)

There's certain circumstances where the jammer is dealing with multiple threats across multiple frequencies to the point the radar can't get out of the way, but again that can't be modeled in DCS yet. (At least ED hasn't worked on it)

So for current implementation levels ED could have a randomizer whether the radar is affected or not when the ASPJ is working on 3 or more threats within the radar FOV.

As always if you have public information on it, feel free to share, if you are unsure about the info and if you are allowed to post here, you can PM me, Thanks.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Jammer priority is what we have now - radar is shut off for best results in jamming. Radar priority let's radar wor with less quality of jamming (and detecting hits by radar).

It's this same in Viper.

For the last time, Viper =! Hornet and Hornet =! Viper.

The F-16s limitations are due to power distribution issues. Small single engine fighter with a powerful external jammer needs to give up some power resources to feed said jammer. The -184 is not a -99

The Hornet "Radar/Jammer *Filter Priority* " is automatically set to radar PRI for AMRAAM and Sparrow launches, or if manual radar channel operation is selected. "*Jammer priority causes auto radar channel selection.*"

This is so they stay out of each other's way.

Actually the DCS Hornet right now can finally use the ASPJ and radar simultaneously. Another thing that was left out of the patch notes with STT exit no longer dumping the track.

• Like 1

Without sharing any sort of ITAR info, the name of the option is Radar/Jammer Filter Priority. It is merely a frequency filter.

All modern radars can operate on several frequency bands, called channels. In the Hornet, Radar priority means that the Jammer stays out of the Radar's way (channel), even if it compromises the Jammer's effectiveness. Jammer priority means that the Jammer will choose the channel(s) it wants to operate on and the Hornet's mission computer will automatically switch the Radar to another channel, even if that means that the Radar's effectiveness will be compromised.

To the best of my knowledge, the Hornet does not suffer from power draw issues between the radar and the jammer, so a reduction in radar range makes no sense (a reduction in power would not dramatically affect max range anyway). The option is just a frequency filter and, in Radar priority, should leave the radar completely unaffected. (Also, Radar priority is automatically selected with either AMRAAMs or Sparrows in the air, since shot accuracy takes priority.)

In the context of DCS, since we don't have different radar and jammer channels, a reasonable approach would be:
Radar priority: 100% radar range, but weaker ECM
Jammer priority: Reduced radar range, but stronger/full ECM.

I understand about the ITAR concerns, so I'm not posting anything. I'll just say that the above description is in no way specific to the Hornet or any system in particular. It merely describes the function of a frequency filter in the context of managing frequency channels between a radar and a jammer.

9 hours ago, NineLine said:

As always if you have public information on it, feel free to share, if you are unsure about the info and if you are allowed to post here, you can PM me, Thanks.

PM sent, with a little more info.

• Like 11

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

On 4/20/2022 at 10:01 AM, Harker said:

In the context of DCS, since we don't have different radar and jammer channels, a reasonable approach would be:
Radar priority: 100% radar range, but weaker ECM
Jammer priority: Reduced radar range, but stronger/full ECM.

Exactly my thoughts, but it seems ED and determined to reduce radar effectiveness when jamming, even though they clearly state the mode modelled is changing to radar priority. 🤦‍♂️

• Like 4