Troop Templates (non static)

Eisprinzessin

New to ME and directly a question:

I have a couple of templates (SAM sites, russians and US (Patriot, HAWK, etc) in my template button. (not static). Which is super cool, cause how should i know what has be in a hawk site for exeample? 

Back in the days i remember there was a "M1A1 Convoi" Template (which is gone maybe due cleaning process) which allowed me to "one click a Abrams Convoi" on the map.

Cool stuff. Question:
Can i download more "templates" like this? Maybe russion armed convoi or stuff like this? i mean how they are in real...would be cool for saving time by adding every single vehicle (which are mostly not right, cause i dont know which vehicles drive togeather).

I did not find something in the download section (only static temps).

Thanks in advance

Edited by Eisprinzessin
  • Like 1

Specs:
12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900K   3.20 GHz,  RAM 128 GB, Win11 Home, RTX3080Ti

On 4/20/2022 at 2:24 AM, Eisprinzessin said:

New to ME and directly a question:

I have a couple of templates (SAM sites, russians and US (Patriot, HAWK, etc) in my template button. (not static). Which is super cool, cause how should i know what has be in a hawk site for exeample? 

Back in the days i remember there was a "M1A1 Convoi" Template (which is gone maybe due cleaning process) which allowed me to "one click a Abrams Convoi" on the map.

Cool stuff. Question:
Can i download more "templates" like this? Maybe russion armed convoi or stuff like this? i mean how they are in real...would be cool for saving time by adding every single vehicle (which are mostly not right, cause i dont know which vehicles drive togeather).

Thanks in advance

Yes you can make your own templates. I'm not at my computer right now, so I'm doing this from memory.

In mission editor there is a bar of options on the left of your screen. Stuff like deploy airplane group... 

One of the options is two boxes with a line connecting them. 

First, make a unit like you want. Move it around and into the formation you want.

Select that unit by clicking on it.

Push the "save template" option.

Now, you can only save a template to the nation it is when you make it. Thus why most of mine are either red or blue Joint forces.

Name the template, for example "Red T72 company" or whatever.

Now when you go back to add template you can pick which you want and drop it where you want. 

If you need further help here's a link to my discord and I can screen share with you or something. Or you can just drop by and fly, ask a question, or whatever.

https://discord.gg/JuBydbsfDn

On 4/20/2022 at 2:24 AM, Eisprinzessin said:

Question:

This type of Template is called "Group Template", because they consist of a single Group of ground units (not ships, nor statics, nor aircrafts), though that single group can be formed by an unlimited quantity of ground Units.

Group Templates are kind of hard to share which probably explains why there are so few at User Files. This is the only Group Template Set that I was able to find, and it is pretty old, tough it still works ... probably it's best to use it as a sample and improve on the Template by making use of vehicles that have appeared after 2011:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/136413/

Here you can see what is within each of these Group Templates:

https://1drv.ms/b/s!Ai6cuX3YQI26iM4d8cX3jvm28Yviww?e=AKTTsB

All of your Group Templates are stored within a single "templates.lua" file, which should be stored at /Saved Games/DCS or DCS.openbeta/MissionEditor/  ... this is what makes them hard to share, as you can't simply overwrite it with a templates.lua that you download from the Internet, because doing so would erase the Group Templates that you already had.

Edited by Rudel_chw
  • Thanks 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

15 hours ago, Dscross said:

Yes you can make your own templates. I'm not at my computer right now, so I'm doing this from memory.

Thanks, bt i knew that already.

@Rudel_chw

Looks exactly what i searched for. I will go into a deeper look next week...#

Main problem for me: i dont know how troops are composed exactely. I have to search for Bundeswehr info...

Specs:
12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900K   3.20 GHz,  RAM 128 GB, Win11 Home, RTX3080Ti

Sorry, guess I misunderstood the question. 

Here are some general specs for you, hopefully this helps.

A USMC squad 10-12  infantry (including 3 saw gunners) clearly this changes from time to time, but that's about as close as you can get in dcs.

A US Army  infantry squad 8-9 including 2 saw gunners. Should fit in one Stryker.

A Bradley squad will be closer to 6 infantry.

U.S. armored platoons are 4 tanks.

For DCS, as close as we can get to a us/NATO style armored company is close to:

3-4 tank platoons

2 tanks (co/xo)

1-2 Bradley command vehicle.

1 heavy truck 

2 scout / atgm hummer (I use one of each)

1 fuel truck.

For Red side cold War

3 tanks to a platoon

3 platoons in company

2 IFV for command in company.(hq)

2 tanks (co/xo) company  (hq)

1 sa19 (sa21, sa15, zsu-23, your choice) 

1-2 heavy trucks.

1-2 fuel trucks.

I also add a Russian jeep type thing.

Those are not perfect companies, but they are generally representative.

A U.S army Stryker platoon is 4 Stryker. Only 3 will have a .50. One (Irl) has a mk19 or something. (I rode many miles in a mk19 equipped stryker) when I make a Stryker platoon in dcs I use 3 ifv and 1 ATGM.

As a generalization, NATO/  western trained armies use 4 tanks or 4 IFV per platoon. (3 platoons/ company + HQ stuff) 

Warsaw pact (as a generalization) uses 3 vehicles but sometimes adds a 4th platoon to a company and almost always has SPAA with a company. 

In my squadron we have a guy who was a stinger team in the USMC. He helped me develop a quasi stinger (on humvee) platoon/ group.

3 humvee stinger 

1 atgm stinger

1 ammo truck.

1 fuel truck.

It isn't perfect, but it's as close as we could do with avaliable DCS assets.

Here's some naval stuff.

In 1980's the US navy used some surface action groups in the Persian Gulf. (See U.S.S. Vincennes/Iran air shoot down)

1 Ticonderoga class cruiser

1 Perry class frigate.

From my research the U.S. navy rarely puts more than 1 Ticonderoga cruiser in a battle group. They'd like to, there's just a finite number of those ships.

A carrier battle group (usa) can't be perfect in dcs. We don't have fast supply ships, or SSNs. And an SSN generally isn't very close to the carrier. (Think dozens of miles) from what I understand, there's no such thing as a friendly submarine close to a carrier. (All subs are hostile type of ASW thinking) this means US subs generally stay outside the close ASW bubble around the CV unless they need a doctor or something. 

With all that in mind I make my cv groups with 1 cv, 1 cg, 2-3 ddg, 1-2 ffg, depending on what I'm doing. 

I make separate Tarawa groups with the Tarawa, 1 DDG, (sometimes, not always) 2-3 FFG, and sometimes a gunboats or 2 (LA Combatant) 

Tip. 

Most armies will put a gun truck or MP IFV at the front, middle and back of a fuel or supply convoy on the roads. 

Before 1990, most Iranian armored formations were NATO style, because of all the money spend by the shah. 

Israel is a small country, they generally run fewer logistics and supply vehicles in their armored formations. 

Insurgents and ISIS/ ISIL would often use 2 truck bombs. One to blow the gate, one to detonate inside the convoy or compound. 

The U.S. military rarely, if ever, fires only one cruise missile at anything. If it's worth shooting, it's worth shooting a couple times. 

I hope that information is closer to what you're looking for. Remember in dcs we can't make things perfect because of limited assets, so I personally try and substitute as best as I can. 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Eisprinzessin said:

The main problem for me ist, that there no vehicles avaiable for the "Bundeswehr". Iltis, Wolf, trucks...nothing....only armor.

If you know your way with a graphics software, you can edit Bundeswehr skins for some of the more similar vehicles, they are much more simple compared with aircraft skins. For example, this user has done it for the spanish army:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/filter/type-is-skin/user-is-Atazar/apply/

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

OK, i see. But this is not for me. Knowlege- and timewise.

At least it would be ok, if i can select HUMVEE and Trucks for German side. Is there a chance to change in the lua file (like in aircraft liveries) for which country i can select them? I mean we have tons of US equip.

Specs:

11 hours ago, Eisprinzessin said:

Is there a chance to change in the lua file (like in aircraft liveries) for which country i can select them?

I believe that editing the db_countries.lua file (at DCS/Scripts/Database) might achieve that, but you will fail the Integrity Check impacting your ability to go Multiplayer.

7 minutes ago, upyr1 said:

I'd love to have more templates and a better templat editor. 

The current Mission Editor is OK with me, but I'd like Group Templates to be improved in three ways:

1) Replace the single templates.lua file with a Folder, so that each Template can be saved on a single file, much like it is for Static Templates.

2) Allow Group Templates to consist of more than a single Group (all from the same country), plus allowing static objects to belong to the Group Template. This is the tricky part, as it needs a good way to select several units & statics at a time, so that they can be saved as a template. 

3) Separate the GUI to create Group Templates, from the GUI to select & use Templates, as the current single-form-does-all is confusing to beginners.