Musings on cockpits VS VR

markturner1960

I know only me can really decide this but am interested in others opinions. I have already put down advance payment on a Dogfight boss 3/4 cockpit set up for the Hornet...basically, what you see below: 

DFB_2_19.8.-5.jpg

However, I also fly in VR and with recent advances (OpenXR has transformed my experience) I am using it more and more. The Hornet is my main jet, but I am starting to think perhaps that I maybe investing in "Old" tech......

For me, the limiting factors for the cockpit is mainly the monitor. My thoughts are that to get the most from the cockpit, I would need some kind of projector system  and a big screen? More $$$$........

If there was any halfway decent and solidly performing VR hand detection systems, it would be good, but I tried leapmotion and it was crap. 

I know its a nice dilemna to have but what do you guys think? I imagine the second hand market for something like the cockpit would be extremely limited if I ever decided to sell it!!! 

Edited by markturner1960
  • Like 1

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

I personally think the best way to go is VR + this cockpit. Some people say you can develop the muscle memory needed to find buttons. For me, the most annoying, immersion breaking part of VR is grabbing the mouse to click stuff. 

I tried leapmotion as well and it's useless. I don't even bother turning it back on after it bugs out. 

Edited by Amerik
  • Like 1

On 4/20/2022 at 8:10 AM, markturner1960 said:

I know only me can really decide this but am interested in others opinions. I have already put down advance payment on a Dogfight boss 3/4 cockpit set up for the Hornet...basically, what you see below: 

DFB_2_19.8.-5.jpg

However, I also fly in VR and with recent advances (OpenXR has transformed my experience) I am using it more and more. The Hornet is my main jet, but I am starting to think perhaps that I maybe investing in "Old" tech......

For me, the limiting factors for the cockpit is mainly the monitor. My thoughts are that to get the most from the cockpit, I would need some kind of projector system  and a big screen? More $$$$........

If there was any halfway decent and solidly performing VR hand detection systems, it would be good, but I tried leapmotion and it was crap. 

I know its a nice dilemna to have but what do you guys think? I imagine the second hand market for something like the cockpit would be extremely limited if I ever decided to sell it!!! 

whats price are these selling for, seriously considering this myself

On 4/20/2022 at 8:10 AM, markturner1960 said:

DFB_2_19.8.-5.jpg

i would forget about the hand tracking, if you get yourself positioned correctly in the cockpit after a few hours muscle memory will allow you to find the controls easily.

• Like 1

$8,000

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

Well, if you putting this kind of money down, why not simply mod your VR googles like Bergisons did? -> Link

Than you have the best of both worlds. Only downside: if your G2 breaks, you will have to replace it yourself 🙂

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

Thats an interesting mod, although before doing that, I would really like to try it out! No going back!! I have been thinking long and hard the last few days and have decided that perhaps, investing in a one jet specific pit is probably not sensible. I have been spending a fair bit of time lately in other modules such as the Apache and Harrier ( Viper and Tomcat are in my hanger already but not much flown) and with the F4 coming I can see this trend continuing. I think perhaps the money is better invested in stuff like jet specific HOTAS and VR or PC upgrades.......I do already have a pretty neat physical pit setup for the hornet anyway......

While that is pretty cool hardware for a simpit, I would assume, that it does not transfer such cool into VR. In VR the simpit cockpit is in visual sense completely replaced by the excellent virtual cockpits.
For my simpit I´m following a strategy, with which I could map most functions on to switches and dials of hardware accessory, like button boxes, HOTAS for sure, Thrustmaster MFDs.
By that it makes the VR simpit compatible to different modules, as the mapped function, like landing gear or MFDs, to a hardware switch of a button box always is the same, but with the view to the virtual cockpit in VR it feels different and appropriate to that module currently flying. I´ve also got the FSSB R3 side mounted and the Thrustmaster F/A 18 Grip onto a mongoose2 base with 20cm extension center mounted in that same simpit. It´s not a perfect strategy, but the compromises makes it flexible once you got used to the button boxes and the overall impression is always dominated by the VR view.   

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

7 hours ago, Gruman said:

Well, if you putting this kind of money down, why not simply mod your VR googles like Bergisons did? -> Link

Than you have the best of both worlds. Only downside: if your G2 breaks, you will have to replace it yourself 🙂

While this will work (and remember there are companies that sell different faceplate for the G2 so it is pretty low risk) what about the concept of using a pass through from the cameras on the G2 used for tracking? If it is able to show your surroundings overlaid on the VR environment,  you would be able to use the combination of visual cues (assuming that the overlaid image would be monochrome or low res) plus muscle memory

Just a thought

Les

Don’t know how long the current wait is, but you should get PointCTRL. With it, all you really need is your HOTAS and VR headset. 

• Like 1

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Cockpit: MonsterTech MTX F, 42" 4K TV, HP Reverb G2, Oculus Rift S, PointCTRL

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

I thought of this heavily and went for this compromise. Aluminum profile can be easily re-arranged, even broken down and re-used for other applications. I also play Assetto Corsa Competizione often in VR and it feels great with the pedals and Simagic wheel 

20211212_212929.jpg

20220326_161040.jpg

Edited by crispy12

With that pricetag and being so especific, I wouldn't go that way sir, I'm sorry. 

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Bang for buck - I definitely wouldn't go a simpit. I'm sure that one day we'll have Augmented Reality with camera's that will allow the mixture of the two, and/or 3D projectors where you just wear a set of 3D glasses will work to give you a great simpit experience - but at the moment that doesn't seem to be plausible.