This map looks great but I feel like a chump for buying it.

Tree_Beard

All WW2 multiplayer uses Normandy, and now Normandy is getting expanded and presumably more detailed. I feel like ED and Uggra must have not communicated at all prior to developing two nearly identical products. 

I think ED really needs to consider doing something to make this terrain stand out from what Normandy offers... Like covering more of the Eastern UK or expanding to cover more of the Low Countries or even some Western German territory. 

Without doing that I really fail to see a single reason anyone would buy this after Normandy is improved. 

31 minutes ago, Tree_Beard said:

now Normandy is getting expanded and presumably more detailed

I wasnt aware of that, is it on any newsletter?

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

5 minutes ago, Tree_Beard said:

I don't know about a newsletter but it was on the DCS 2022 and beyond video as well as confirmed by Nineline here: 

Thanks, I will look forward to that expansion, as the recent Syria expansion was also nice and unexpected. I also have The Channel, and it would be so good if it could be enlarged a bit.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

• 2 weeks later...

I agree. I bought it because currently in Normandy, the textures are really bad, and Channel does look awesome, ngl.

But having to see how the already bigger Normandy map is getting updated and EVEN bigger, while in Channel we got those ugly blue-blackish borders all around and you can't fly around Biggin Hill without being punched into the face with that border.. is just sad.

Edited by WolfhoundCH

1 hour ago, Gunfreak said:

Expand the channel to low countries, Denmark and western Norway.

That's like a 300% percent expansion ... 🙄

• Like 1

Just now, Gunfreak said:

Would still be smaller than Syria and South Atlantic map.

We don't know yet the real size of the South Atlantic Map, and even so, asking for a 300% expansion is kind of ambitious, don't you think?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

We don't know yet the real size of the South Atlantic Map, and even so, asking for a 300% expansion is kind of ambitious, don't you think?

Not when channel map is the smallest of all the maps. It would simply bring it into scale with the other maps.

• Like 4

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

Scale in distance maybe; but that’s not the limiting factor for DCS. It’s far more related to object density.

Some of the largest maps can be that big because, aside from a few big cities, there are not a lot of objects in the terrain between them. This is not the case with Northwest Europe and both Normandy and the Channel map, each had performance issues to start with and required heavy optimisation to get to the state they are now. The Channel has several orders more level of detail than Normandy and will require much more careful development if it is to be expanded.

Your request would require approximately 20x the current area - a lot of it sea I grant you, but also almost the entire East coast of the UK and the large number of industrial towns therein, not to mention 50 odd airbases. That’s before you even deal with the continent. I don’t believe any current computer could load and run it, especially when you start adding mission targets, AAA and AI aircraft. 

Syria also has draw distances much lower than other contemporary maps to compensate for its size so you need to be careful what you wish for.

Edited by DD_Fenrir
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, DD_Fenrir said:

Syria also has draw distances much lower than other contemporary maps to compensate for its size so you need to be careful what you wish for.

Wise words!

• Like 1

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

Personally I think the channel map looks so much better than normandy. And for some time now is running well for me in VR. I no longer use Normandy. But that’s my view. 

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV