I was trying to hover with another player in Copilot Position in the SA342M. Tried to get into Autohover for over 5 minutes

Lineaxe

I was trying to hover with another player in Copilot Position in the SA342M.   Tried to get into  Autohover for over 5 minutes. Can you even autohover with 2 players in the Chopper? or am I supposed to try to keep it in a hover ,which is near to impossible.

On 4/20/2022 at 10:09 PM, Lineaxe said:

Can you even autohover with 2 players in the Chopper? or am I supposed to try to keep it in a hover ,which is near to impossible.

TL;DR:

SP "autohover" is a simplification for gameplay, with an AI "co-pilot" providing auto collective, heading hold, etc. so the player can switch to the CPG position and fire HOT missiles, etc.

Multicrew removes this simplification and requires the pilot and CPG to work together to maintain a hover/firing solution.

Detail:

AFAIK

• Auto-collective isn't a thing in the *real* Gazelle, as pilot, altitude control/stabilisation is your responsibility.

• Heading hold may or may not be modelled correctly in multicrew. The heading is likely set by the rudder pedals AND stabilized by the autopilot but how this should be modelled for spring centered twist sticks/rudder pedals is another question. For now you should use the ADI VIS needle to ensure the pilot lines up with the Viviane's camera/target.

• IIRC Polychop has said the Pilot's "auto-slave" button should stabilize the Heading to the Viviane's LOS but I don't recall it working like that in multicrew.

• When the cyclic "Hover" button is engaged, the AP tries to keep the helicopter in a 10x10m² position by adjusting the cyclic trim actuators i.e. the multicrew pilot doesn't need to focus on the cyclic so much and instead can concentrate on holding the required heading/altitude.

From this, I understand that the "Hover" button in multicrew is an "assist", not a hands free "auto-hover".

Edited by Ramsay
spelling, auto-slave is on the pilot's cyclic
  • Like 3

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Kewl, we will certainly work all that in !  I knew it was a bit of a toughie to fly around but we'll get it one day !!

I sure like using the SA-342M as a revenge chopper when one of my UH-1/Mi-8s get shot down by enemy SAMs.

However,I do sometimes become another target for them.  

Edited by Lineaxe
  • Like 1