VR session in multiplayer in AH64, experiencing momentary freezing down to 1-5 fps when going in to adjust controls menu

if i go into the adjust control menu, and start moving the mouse when in AH64 in VR in multiplayer, (other modules do not have this problem)

i am lagged out, especially when moving the mouse and moving my head around, and pc freezes for 10-30 seconds, and i have to keep my head still to stop the lag until i Manage to move the mouse to "cancel" to get out of the menu

track file here 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Yoq0bGcY6U-z8zf21w29YEVnNBYp6sEj/view?usp=sharing

Edited by hannibal

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

• ED Team

Please let us know your system spec and what your vr device is. 

Also include your dcs vr settings and vr device settings, especially any resolution modifier values. 

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 5 months later...

Found this somewhere and it fixed recent bad performance in Condor 2 VR after the latest Win11 22H2 update. 

Hi,

lately i found a tip concerning holographic shell and logging. I was looking for a solution for my reduced gaming performance after installing Windows 11 22h2 function update:

"Go to Computer Management → System Tools → Performance → Data Collector Sets → Event Trace Sessions. In this list, find HolographicShell, right click, and choose ‘Stop’."

• ED Team
34 minutes ago, jurinko said:

Found this somewhere and it fixed recent bad performance in Condor 2 VR after the latest Win11 22H2 update. 

Hi,

lately i found a tip concerning holographic shell and logging. I was looking for a solution for my reduced gaming performance after installing Windows 11 22h2 function update:

"Go to Computer Management → System Tools → Performance → Data Collector Sets → Event Trace Sessions. In this list, find HolographicShell, right click, and choose ‘Stop’."

interesting, thanks for sharing 

edit: seemed to help with me, squeezed some extra frames out of my machine. 

• Like 1

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team
2 hours ago, 01G8R said:

Has there been any movement on this?  I have the same issue with Varjo Aero.  Very bad in aircraft.  Slight lag when accessed through the menu.  Running at 150% resolution OpenXR.   

150% res is going to be very demanding for any system. 
Personally I am not seeing this freeze and low frame rate, I am at 45 fps on the ground. 

can you give a track replay example showing the frame drop so I can try also, check it is not mission or object related. 

thanks

Do you have a lot of USB devices?

My system sometimes does that.  It appears to get worse when I have more USB devices running, eg joysticks, throttle, panels etc

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

• ED Team

it is worth disabling hotplug in dcs controls to see if it helps, some USB devices can create problems 

5 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

150% res is going to be very demanding for any system. 
Personally I am not seeing this freeze and low frame rate, I am at 45 fps on the ground. 

can you give a track replay example showing the frame drop so I can try also, check it is not mission or object related. 

thanks

This was not a problem with a G2 at 200% or the Aero at 150% when I first got it.  I believe it started with the 64 release, but my memory on that may be unreliable.   

I will give the other suggestions in this post a try.  I read a reddit thread that this might be caused by Virpil software/firmware not being current.  If that doesn't help I will post a track file. 

I figured out the problem on my system with a clue from @BIGNEWY.  I tried disabling hot plug with no change.  Then I removed every USB device and the stuttering/lag was gone.  I'm dealing with another DCS issue making new GUIDs for my FreeJoy devices.  I unplugged one of the devices and the stuttering was better, removed another and it got better again, removed the third FreeJoy device and stuttering was gone.

Freejoy lets you configure the USB Exchange Period.  It was set at 5ms for each device.  Changed this to 20ms and all the stuttering/lag was gone.  I will experiment with lowering this until the problem comes back.

This started for me after the 64 was released because that is when I added the second and third FJ devices.  Attached are track files if they are any use for others.  My problem is solved.

All USB FJ 20ms.trk 64 Menu Lag.trk

No USB.trk

Minus left console, collective, cyclic usb.trk Minus left console, collective usb.trk

Minus left console usb.trk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• ED Team
6 hours ago, 01G8R said:

I figured out the problem on my system with a clue from @BIGNEWY.  I tried disabling hot plug with no change.  Then I removed every USB device and the stuttering/lag was gone.  I'm dealing with another DCS issue making new GUIDs for my FreeJoy devices.  I unplugged one of the devices and the stuttering was better, removed another and it got better again, removed the third FreeJoy device and stuttering was gone.

Freejoy lets you configure the USB Exchange Period.  It was set at 5ms for each device.  Changed this to 20ms and all the stuttering/lag was gone.  I will experiment with lowering this until the problem comes back.

This started for me after the 64 was released because that is when I added the second and third FJ devices.  Attached are track files if they are any use for others.  My problem is solved.

All USB FJ 20ms.trk 1.71 MB · 0 downloads 64 Menu Lag.trk 1.76 MB · 0 downloads

No USB.trk 1.71 MB · 0 downloads

Minus left console, collective, cyclic usb.trk 1.71 MB · 0 downloads Minus left console, collective usb.trk 1.65 MB · 0 downloads

Minus left console usb.trk 1.73 MB · 0 downloads

Great to hear you have it solved, input devices are often the culprit with stutters. 

enjoy

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

@BIGNEWY I just wanted to follow up on this.  After the update this problem has come back with a vengence.  Controls menu completely unusable from the main menu and in game in VR, but I think I figured it out.  After messing around with my FJ device timing like I listed before I had to decrease those times because DCS was not recognizing commands.  I just dealt with the problem until today when it became completely unusable.

I figured it out though.  It has to do with my mouse and keyboard.  I was using a gaming mouse and keyboard.  Both wireless.  Switched them out for a standard Dell mouse and keyboard and the problem went away.  This is probably a combination of the FJ device polling and the super fast polling for the mouse and keyboard.  Maybe DCS can fix this so when you are in the menu it slows down the polling.  Others with the issue and not having FJ devices it is probably their mouse and keyboard.

• ED Team
2 hours ago, 01G8R said:

@BIGNEWY I just wanted to follow up on this.  After the update this problem has come back with a vengence.  Controls menu completely unusable from the main menu and in game in VR, but I think I figured it out.  After messing around with my FJ device timing like I listed before I had to decrease those times because DCS was not recognizing commands.  I just dealt with the problem until today when it became completely unusable.

I figured it out though.  It has to do with my mouse and keyboard.  I was using a gaming mouse and keyboard.  Both wireless.  Switched them out for a standard Dell mouse and keyboard and the problem went away.  This is probably a combination of the FJ device polling and the super fast polling for the mouse and keyboard.  Maybe DCS can fix this so when you are in the menu it slows down the polling.  Others with the issue and not having FJ devices it is probably their mouse and keyboard.

Thanks for letting me know, input devices often are the source of the problems with stutters. I have stuck with wired devices for a while now, I even use two mouses left and right with no issue. 

On 10/29/2022 at 4:37 AM, BIGNEWY said:

Thanks for letting me know, input devices often are the source of the problems with stutters. I have stuck with wired devices for a while now, I even use two mouses left and right with no issue. 

So I thought this was fixed, but I hadn't checked in game.  Only from the main menu.  The controls menu is almost completely unusable in VR.  I tried with both my wireless gaming mouse at 125hz, 500hz and 1000hz.  Also just a standard Dell wireless mouse @125hz and a wired (USB) EVGA mouse.  Video attached.  I'm moving the mouse the entire time and you can see it skipping around.  Trying to keep my head still.  If I move my head at all it gets even worse.  Down to 1fps and takes 4 or 5 seconds to recover.

Any other suggestions?  Thanks.

https://youtu.be/Xv6ebf6Jjv8

Edited by 01G8R

I had a similar problem with mouse skipping over menu. 

Turned out to be SRS was running as soon as I finished SRS mouse return back to normal smooth scroll. 

Just a thought . 

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

16 hours ago, KoN said:

I had a similar problem with mouse skipping over menu. 

Turned out to be SRS was running as soon as I finished SRS mouse return back to normal smooth scroll. 

Just a thought . 

I'm not following.  You are talking about Simple Radio Standalone or something else?  What do you men "as soon as I finished SRS"?

On 11/3/2022 at 6:08 PM, 01G8R said:

I'm not following.  You are talking about Simple Radio Standalone or something else?  What do you men "as soon as I finished SRS"?

As son as I close down simple radio standalone , the mouse went back to normal. No lag within DCS . 

In the end I totally uninstalled SRS and reinstalled. This made everything normal again . 

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

20 hours ago, KoN said:

As son as I close down simple radio standalone , the mouse went back to normal. No lag within DCS . 

In the end I totally uninstalled SRS and reinstalled. This made everything normal again . 

Was this anytime DCS and SRS were running?  I am only having the problem when using the Adjust Controls menu.  SRS being on or off makes no difference for me  

Yes both running together . So this maybe not the issue for you . 

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .