Building new setup - please your advice

Hi all,

I want to renew my old setup with fresh one.

My current setup is :

Intel i7 6700k

32 gb ram 3200

Gigabytes 1070 ti

all ssd

Oculus quest 2

I build this setup and like to know your opinion.

Please feel free to make changes.

IMG-20220421-WA0016.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

IAF Bell205

IAF Anafa

-----------------------

DCS World Modules: A-10C, FC3, MiG-21BiS, F-86, P-51, KA-50, UH-1H Huey, Mi-8, M2000K, Gazal, Bf109, Mig-15, Hawk and NTTR

-----------------------

My System - ASUS Maximus HERO iiiv, CoolMaster 120 Sadion Plus, I7 -6700K @4.0, G.Skill ddr4 16GB ram, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 , PSU Seasonic X-650W, OCZ 150 500Gb ssd drive X2, Seagate 7200 1T X2.

-------------

All ok, but get 64GB of RAM right away. If you plan on any bigger GPU's in the future you should also get a good  1000w PSU.

I think, personally, the Gigabyte Board from my sig is the better alternative to what you have picked, but both will work.

Tip:

When it comes to RAM, the Ripjaw kit from my sig runs very well on 3600 CL14 @ 1.4v. 

• Like 1

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

10 hours ago, assafm25 said:

Hi all,

I want to renew my old setup with fresh one.

My current setup is :

Intel i7 6700k

32 gb ram 3200

Gigabytes 1070 ti

all ssd

Oculus quest 2

I build this setup and like to know your opinion.

Please feel free to make changes.

IMG-20220421-WA0016.jpg

You could get RX 6900XT for price of RTX 3080 or cheaper.  You can also take advantage of Smart Access Memory by pairing AMD GPU and CPU.

Amazon.com: XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT Black Gaming Graphics Card with 16GB GDDR6, HDMI, 3xDP, AMD RDNA 2 RX-69XTATBD9 : Electronics

I went with RX 6900XT because it's faster for Unreal Engine 5 than RTX 3090.  Because Lumen is software raytracing, not hardware.  And I work with UE5.

I'm assuming there will be a lot of titles in the future with UE5 in which case AMD would benefit more.

• Like 1

Taz,

While I agree with you on the Unreal Engine and its performance regarding AMD GPU's. It doesn't apply to DCS at the moment. At resolutions of 1440p and below the AMD card is quicker. Anything above, ie, 1440p ultrawide and 4k the AMD cards are limited by their memory bus width.

I have built systems with AMD...5700xt, 6800, 6800xt, 6900xt and Nvidia with 2080, 2080ti, 3070, 3080, 3080ti and I own a 3090. If anyone with the current engine DCS uses wants to use a resolution higher than 1440p you need an Nvidia 2080ti or higher. Otherwise you will not be able to maintain 60fps down low on higher settings.

Please bear in mind this s only for DCS. Other games will be different.

Edited by Bossco82

Beside of my CPU not being the 3D one and me having 64 GB of RAM the system is very similar to mine. The others nailed all points to keep into consideration already. 64 GB are usable in crowded servers and are definately a benefit. I guess you will have a lot of fun with this setup.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4080 OC, Windows 10 64bit Home Premium, TrackIR 5 with TrackClip: Pro!, Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base + TM Warthog Stick + 7cm extension + WINWING Orion 2 with F-15EX grips, Cougar MFDs with 8" displays, Saitek Rudder Pedals, Samsung Odyssey G9 49" 5120x1440 @120 Hz

Nice Case - I thought about getting this one as well.

I would choose 64 GB of RAM because of DCS and I would think about a bigger PSU. Ampere GPUs tend to spike and I don't know if the Corsair RM PSUs can stand that. My Superflower Leadex can, but it was a guessing game. So if you want to be shure and if you have a 40xx Series Card spinning in the back of your mind, think about the PSU.

Other than that good choices and have fun with this nice setup.

14700K | MSI Z690 Carbon | Gigabyte 4090 Gaming OC | 64GB DDR5 6000 G.Skill Ripjaws S5 | Creative SoundBlaster X-FI Titanium HD on a Violectric V90 Headphone amp and Fostex TH600 Headphones | LG 42 C227LA & Samsung C32HG70 | TrackIR 5 | Virpil WarBRD with VFX Grip | Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle | VKB T-Rudder Pedals MK IV 

I only fool around the F-14 - and still having a hard time on it as there is so much to learn and so little time and talent. But I love it.

1 hour ago, Bossco82 said:

Taz,

While I agree with you on the Unreal Engine and its performance regarding AMD GPU's. It doesn't apply to DCS at the moment. At resolutions of 1440p and below the AMD card is quicker. Anything above, ie, 1440p ultrawide and 4k the AMD cards are limited by their memory bus width.

I have built systems with AMD...5700xt, 6800, 6800xt, 6900xt and Nvidia with 2080, 2080ti, 3070, 3080, 3080ti and I own a 3090. If anyone with the current engine DCS uses wants to use a resolution higher than 1440p you need an Nvidia 2080ti or higher. Otherwise you will not be able to maintain 60fps down low on higher settings.

Please bear in mind this s only for DCS. Other games will be different.

I don't run DCS in 4K but I'm currently having no issue whatsoever in VR with 6900xt.  I don't use SSAO or motion blur etc but with most necessary settings at max.  I am aware that for tier to tier (3080 vs 6800xt), (3090 vs 6900xt), Nvidia is faster.  But I'd like to see DCS comparison in current pricing range (3080 vs 6900xt).  And the thing I noticed is that AMD and Nvidia can't be compared with same setting.  I was really disappointed at first when I ran 6900xt with Nvidia settings.  For example, motion smoothing needs to be turned off for AMD etc so I'm not even sure if it's possible to measure the comparison in DCS.

It'll be good regardless with both 3080 or 6900xt.  Just offering another choice and decision is up to the OP.

By the way, with 16GB VRAM, I do see 6900xt's VRAM usage per process going over 12GB even in single player missions.  How does 3080 handle this with 10GB?

Edited by Taz1004

mitx build, nice!  

Doubt I'm going to upgrade my 5600X, it runs well in DCS, doesn't draw a lot of power and it's super easy to air cool (I'm using a Noctua tower with a 90mm fan).  Air is what makes that case mesh-licious, no?  

That gave me enough headroom to go with a corsair SF750, which (to my relief) is working fine with my 6900XT although I'm not even remotely thinking about overclocking the thing, I can't keep it cool in rage mode as it is.  I have it undervolted, and fans are in hurricane mode.  

Do it again, I would have gone for a 2TB SSD.   x570 does a good job of cooling your primary SSD but the secondary slot is nothing to scream about, limiting your upgrade options.  Depends on what else you want on there.  MSFS takes up a lot of room and Xplane I'm sure would put me over the cliff.  As it is, if I want to download any MSFS maps that'll probably have to go on an external drive.  

I went with a 1TB samsung on the front, and put an old 256GB SSD I had lying around on the back.   I keep Windows and the swap file on the latter.  That's one way of doing it but still should have gone 2TB for the front.  

RE: AMD vs NVIDIA.  Just depends on what you can get your hands on.  In VR at least, in DCS, the 6900XT is probably a shade faster than 3080.  Disadvantage is, it requires some tuning to get there, and I think the cooling solution for NVIDIA cards is generally superior for those SFF cases.  I guess it's kind of hard to screw up the airflow in that case, but still.  SAM doesn't do much. 

If you can, ask about what bios version your mobo is shipping with.  There was a time there, a couple of months ago when you had to borrow a CPU to get the durn things to post.  Don't forget to set your XMP profile for your RAM, otherwise it'll run slooooooooow

x570 is overkill of course.  You don't need to overclock AMD, not for DCS anyway.  I don't think you can overclock the 3D.  When I built mine, the x570 cost the same as the b550, so I bought it, even though I lost a fan header in the process.  Actually would have rather had the b550 but it was the principle of the thing.  

Edited by DeltaMike

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

2 hours ago, DeltaMike said:

mitx build, nice!  

Doubt I'm going to upgrade my 5600X, it runs well in DCS, doesn't draw a lot of power and it's super easy to air cool (I'm using a Noctua tower with a 90mm fan).  Air is what makes that case mesh-licious, no?  

That gave me enough headroom to go with a corsair SF750, which (to my relief) is working fine with my 6900XT although I'm not even remotely thinking about overclocking the thing, I can't keep it cool in rage mode as it is.  I have it undervolted, and fans are in hurricane mode.  

Do it again, I would have gone for a 2TB SSD.   x570 does a good job of cooling your primary SSD but the secondary slot is nothing to scream about, limiting your upgrade options.  Depends on what else you want on there.  MSFS takes up a lot of room and Xplane I'm sure would put me over the cliff.  As it is, if I want to download any MSFS maps that'll probably have to go on an external drive.  

I went with a 1TB samsung on the front, and put an old 256GB SSD I had lying around on the back.   I keep Windows and the swap file on the latter.  That's one way of doing it but still should have gone 2TB for the front.  

RE: AMD vs NVIDIA.  Just depends on what you can get your hands on.  In VR at least, in DCS, the 6900XT is probably a shade faster than 3080.  Disadvantage is, it requires some tuning to get there, and I think the cooling solution for NVIDIA cards is generally superior for those SFF cases.  I guess it's kind of hard to screw up the airflow in that case, but still.  SAM doesn't do much. 

If you can, ask about what bios version your mobo is shipping with.  There was a time there, a couple of months ago when you had to borrow a CPU to get the durn things to post.  Don't forget to set your XMP profile for your RAM, otherwise it'll run slooooooooow

x570 is overkill of course.  You don't need to overclock AMD, not for DCS anyway.  I don't think you can overclock the 3D.  When I built mine, the x570 cost the same as the b550, so I bought it, even though I lost a fan header in the process.  Actually would have rather had the b550 but it was the principle of the thing.  

Thank!

I forgot to mention but i have 6tb of ssd drives in raid 5. This drive going to be for the rest of the PC (data,download,doc etc...)

The Core sustem (os) and DCS will sit on the M2 drive.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

IAF Bell205

IAF Anafa

-----------------------

DCS World Modules: A-10C, FC3, MiG-21BiS, F-86, P-51, KA-50, UH-1H Huey, Mi-8, M2000K, Gazal, Bf109, Mig-15, Hawk and NTTR

-----------------------

My System - ASUS Maximus HERO iiiv, CoolMaster 120 Sadion Plus, I7 -6700K @4.0, G.Skill ddr4 16GB ram, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 , PSU Seasonic X-650W, OCZ 150 500Gb ssd drive X2, Seagate 7200 1T X2.

-------------

9 hours ago, Taz1004 said:

I don't run DCS in 4K but I'm currently having no issue whatsoever in VR with 6900xt.  I don't use SSAO or motion blur etc but with most necessary settings at max.  I am aware that for tier to tier (3080 vs 6800xt), (3090 vs 6900xt), Nvidia is faster.  But I'd like to see DCS comparison in current pricing range (3080 vs 6900xt).  And the thing I noticed is that AMD and Nvidia can't be compared with same setting.  I was really disappointed at first when I ran 6900xt with Nvidia settings.  For example, motion smoothing needs to be turned off for AMD etc so I'm not even sure if it's possible to measure the comparison in DCS.

It'll be good regardless with both 3080 or 6900xt.  Just offering another choice and decision is up to the OP.

By the way, with 16GB VRAM, I do see 6900xt's VRAM usage per process going over 12GB even in single player missions.  How does 3080 handle this with 10GB?

Hi Taz,

Please dont think I am being critical because I'm not mate. If anyone was going to stick to 1440p and use a Track IR I would recommend an AMD 6800xt all day long. I loved mine and it was butter smooth on 4x MSAA max setting at that resolution. Plus it would be a great experience too, 1440p is a real sweet spot for DCS. 

However as soon as you jump to 4k the AMD 256 bit memory bus cant handle the textures etc. Smart access memory doesn't seem to help either. If AMD had a larger memory bus on the 6800/6900xt I am sure it would be equal to Nvidia at 4k because the GPU core and memory itself run fantastic. Its just that as soon as you fly low near lots of trees or building the AMD card can do about 48 fps where an Nvidia 3080 would hold just over 60fps. Like I said thats only for 4k in DCS. Which very few people use.

Not trying to be argumentative , but my 6800xt does quite well with the Reverb at 60hz . I run native hz almost all the time (and spend a lot of time very low) , and motion smoothing kicks in seamlessly on airports and the supercarrier , all this at quite high DCS settings , including msaa and shadows , and with plenty of headroom , both cpu and gpu (typically run 12-13 msec on both cpu and gpu anywhere very low in the Caucasus) .

I could hardly ask for a better VR experience , and i suspect that 4k would do at least as well , though i can't say definitively as i don't have (or want) a 4k monitor .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

@assafm25: Your build looks very good (to me).
Every component is importand and it's a lot of money invested, but do focus on getting the very best GPU you can, as well as a hefty ammount of total RAM - right now that's what DCS requires the most.

As for the RAM, and like others said, better get 64GB of RAM, not 32GB. It makes quite a difference, especially in MP with populated servers.
I presume this will become "the standard" from now on - rather do it sooner while you can, than feeling forced to do it later.

As for the GPU, the trend on prices is slowly and steadily going down, so perhaps wait just a bit more and perhaps go for either Nvidia RTX3080Ti or AMD RX6900XT, once a good oportunity arises. Either are phenomenal options, though I'd choose Nvidia over AMD any day of the week if DCS was all that I cared about. 

Some nice deals appear occasionally on Ebay for used high-end GPUs and RAM from sellers with good reputation, so if you don't mind spending on used components, perhaps also have a look in there too.

FWIW, at the moment (3rd week of April 2022) this is the general pricing for brand new GPU products on the shelves:

April GPU prices.JPG

Source: youtube.com/watch?v=T0RfE_b4g2o

Edited by LucShep

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | M-Audio USB + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

Thanks a lot u all

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

IAF Bell205

IAF Anafa

-----------------------

-----------------------

-------------

On 4/22/2022 at 5:46 PM, Bossco82 said:

ts just that as soon as you fly low near lots of trees or building the AMD card can do about 48 fps

I'm not trying to be critical either but I can't agree as that simply isn't the experience I'm having with 6900xt.  And many others as shown below.  All I can think of is perhaps you didn't have the correct settings for the card or had a defective one.  Performance gap between 6800xt and 6900xt is much bigger than between 3080 and 3090.  But much smaller price difference as shown by LucShep.  $100 versus $700.  6900xt in my opinion is the biggest bang for the buck at the moment even for DCS.

Remember I was comparing 3080 vs 6900xt because of them being in same price range.  Not 3090.  And total VRAM is more important than bus width.  As being suggested in this thread, 3080's 10GB or even 12GB isn't enough for DCS.

Edited by Taz1004
  • Like 1

Taz> 

I’m not sure that we actually know how much VRAM DCS really needs.  As I understand it, DCS may well “reserve” all of your VRAM, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that it’ll use it. 

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

5 hours ago, Mr_sukebe said:

Taz> 

I’m not sure that we actually know how much VRAM DCS really needs.  As I understand it, DCS may well “reserve” all of your VRAM, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that it’ll use it. 

I don't think anybody knows how much VRAM DCS really "needs".  But what we know is that DCS "reserves" more than 12GB if available.  And maxes out under 12GB depending on the mission.  And according to that thread, DCS doesn't reserve "all" 24GB of 3090.  And certainly doesn't reserve "all" 16GB of my 6900xt either so we know there's headroom with those cards.

It's same with RAM.  DCS wont "reserve" more than 16GB if that's all you have.  But we all know DCS needs more than that.

Edited by Taz1004
  • Like 1

In post 3 of that thread, Gallagher reported having seen 22.5GB or VRAM in use during his monitoring.

Not sure where you’re trying to go on this.  You’ve suggested that 10-12GB is not enough, but that 16GB is.  Funny coincidence that your card happens to fit that.

Bit of a shame then that it was so easy to find someone reporting that your testing wasn’t sufficiently comprehensive.

For all that, doesn’t really matter as whatever we buy with be outdated shortly thereafter.  It’s a lot easier to just assume that than get into debates that look a lot like examples of cognitive dissonance (from a marketing perspective).

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

VR is different. For various reasons we run at whole number fractions of the monitor's refresh rate. With a 90hz monitor, for example, we are only ever shooting for 45fps.  With a reverb G2, a 3080 is sufficient, and in VR enough is as good as a feast. Same could be said of the 6900XT.  

For the same price, in an SFF rig, a 3080 will run cooler (and your CPU might also, airflow in general is gonna be better) and it'll be less fiddly.  You'll get fewer power spikes, something to consider if you're using a SFF PSU also.  Whether you can squeeze a few more FPS out of it (you can't, that's been settled) is irrelevant

If you might upgrade to a Varjo or Pimax, bring as much ass as you can and hope for the best.  

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

4 hours ago, Mr_sukebe said:

Not sure where you’re trying to go on this.  You’ve suggested that 10-12GB is not enough, but that 16GB is.  Funny coincidence that your card happens to fit that.

Then read 8th post of THIS thread.  Where I said "It'll be good regardless with both 3080 or 6900xt.  Just offering another choice and decision is up to the OP."

Perhaps you didn't read the whole thread but I'm just debating bus width which was brought up by Bossco versus total VRAM.  And I did not argue with him on slower bus width of 6900xt because I agree that it is one of its weakness.  But total VRAM is strength over 3080.  Did I say 6900XT is best because it is mine?  Did you read "I am aware that for tier to tier (3080 vs 6800xt), (3090 vs 6900xt), Nvidia is faster."  I made it plainly clear that there are pros and cons on both cards.  And that the OP has to choose based on his needs.

And I never said 16GB is enough in all cases.  DCS very well could "reserve" all of that too "depending on the mission" but it's much less likely to happen than 12GB wouldn't it?  And that 3rd post clearly said it happened on Apache which is very early development.  Is it clear now on where I was going on this?

This was fairly civil discussion until you turned it personal and picking on semantics (reserve vs use).  So you get to go on my ignore list.  Bye.

Edited by Taz1004
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

At the end i decided to wait for the new AMD family. In the meantime i Buy the Asus 3080ti (Some good price now of amazon) And the Samsung nvme g4 1T drive.

Whan the new process will out i Buy the motherboard and memory and rest of the stuff. I also decided to go with the 64 gig if ram.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

IAF Bell205

IAF Anafa

-----------------------

-----------------------

-------------