Made the leap.

dooom

Just ordered the Reverb G2 gen2 from HP Canada.

Have to admit i'm excited. more excited than i have been in a while with DCS>  Hopefully I'll avoid all the cabling issues etc and have a smooth setup.

Can someone point me to a definitive thread to get things setup / optimized for DCS?

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

1 minute ago, dooom said:

Just ordered the Reverb G2 gen2 from HP Canada.

Have to admit i'm excited. more excited than i have been in a while with DCS>  Hopefully I'll avoid all the cabling issues etc and have a smooth setup.

Can someone point me to a definitive thread to get things setup / optimized for DCS?

Congrats!  I am sure you will be fine!

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey Plus+, EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB GDDR6X, 32GB RAM, Intel i7-7700k 5.1GHz (OC), Hydro Series™ H100i v2 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler, Buttkicker 2 Gamer+SSA Sound Module, Virpil MangoosT-CM2 Base+Grip, Logitech X56 Throttle +Rudder, Logitech Z906 5.1, LG OLED 55'' 4K 120Hz
A10-C II,  AH-64D,  AV88NA,  F-14A/B,  F-16C,  F/A-18C,  Ka-50,  Mi-24,  Mi-8,  SA342,  UH-1H,  SuperCarrier,  Persian Gulf,  Nevada,  Syria,  Simshaker for Aviators

install WMR (Windows Mixed Reality) and then install Steam VR and then Windows Mixed Reality for Steam VR to get going.  I have a reverb G1...I tried a G2 but kept my G1 over it.  Screen rez is the same.  I did like the controllers.

Anyhow, turn all of your graphics down and then test.  See the link in my signature to get some useful tips on going in VR.  Make sure you bind a recenter key in DCS first!  My recommendations are to get the basics going first in VR before you decide to start using various mods with DCS. 

Edited by DerekSpeare

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

What is your system- cpu and gpu? I'll be more than happy to talk you through the setup.

The g2 is just awesome in dcs when all tuned in. You are in for a treat and will love it.

I made every mistake in the book setting up and tuning so know most of the pitfalls by now as I came into all this with practically zero computer knowledge in the beginning. 

Edited by TED
  • Like 1

Haha yeah the G2 is a pain in the butt.  It's not a "consumer headset" but as a steely-eyed rocket man you need a professional, industrial strength headset anyway so you're on the right track.

Biggest problem is, DCS can't talk to your headset directly.  It has to talk to SteamVR first, and then SteamVR has to talk to WMR via an intermediary (the delightfully-named "WMR4SVR", which looks as pretty as it sounds) and then WMR finally gets to talk to your headset.  

The definitive guide for how to do... um, that... is here.  You can find Thud on his discord for real time help. Note, the guide doesn't make a ton of sense just to read it, it makes total sense if you have your headset unboxed and ready to plug in.  It's kind of like karaoke that way, just sing along.  

There is another way, and it's an "Open" question in my mind whether we should steer new users in that direction to begin with.  Maybe so. Consider taking a moment to read this.  Where it says "don't open SteamVR, don't even touch SteamVR," you can take that as, "don't bother to install SteamVR in the first place."

OpenXR is our little way of cutting out the middle man.  They taught OpenXR how to speak Steamish.  So, DCS is able to talk to OXR in Steamish, which it can understand, and OXR can talk directly to your headset.  Pretty slick, and it seems to be a superior user experience in a number of respects. 

Most of us -- strike that, all of us went through the WMR/SVR/WMR4SVR dance, with a great deal of growling and gnashing of teeth, only to undo it all and start over with OpenXR.   

If it pleases you, consider reading both sets of instructions.  Interested to know how all this sounds to the ears of a new user, which one seems the least intimidating for example.  Very interested to know what you think.  

• Like 1

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks @TED & @DeltaMike

I really didnt fiddle with much since i started out but i think i'm ready to explore OpenXR.  One question though... the kids like beatsabre and assetto corsica... can i keep steamVR around and force through openxr or do i need to abandon steamvr all together.

I'll read through the instructions and let you know what i think in this thread.  @TED thanks for the offer for a talk through... i read your other thread but it looks like you have experimented much further since your first post there.

Kirk

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

I don’t think I’ll ever get why the mods… it looks awesome as is. To each it’s own …that I do understand. OpenXR I’m really thinking about though.

Congratz and welcome to the VR club, your gonna love it.

Edited by Burt

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

4 hours ago, dooom said:

eatsabre and assetto corsica

Both games works on OpenXR. AC defenetly better.

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey Plus+, EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB GDDR6X, 32GB RAM, Intel i7-7700k 5.1GHz (OC), Hydro Series™ H100i v2 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler, Buttkicker 2 Gamer+SSA Sound Module, Virpil MangoosT-CM2 Base+Grip, Logitech X56 Throttle +Rudder, Logitech Z906 5.1, LG OLED 55'' 4K 120Hz
A10-C II,  AH-64D,  AV88NA,  F-14A/B,  F-16C,  F/A-18C,  Ka-50,  Mi-24,  Mi-8,  SA342,  UH-1H,  SuperCarrier,  Persian Gulf,  Nevada,  Syria,  Simshaker for Aviators

13 hours ago, dooom said:

Thanks @TED & @DeltaMike

I really didnt fiddle with much since i started out but i think i'm ready to explore OpenXR.  One question though... the kids like beatsabre and assetto corsica... can i keep steamVR around and force through openxr or do i need to abandon steamvr all together.

I'll read through the instructions and let you know what i think in this thread.  @TED thanks for the offer for a talk through... i read your other thread but it looks like you have experimented much further since your first post there.

Kirk

Believe it or not there's been a ton of work on opencomposite since we last talked, this guide is kept up to date.  

The only caveat is, as of a week or two ago some people were having problems switching between OXR and SVR games using the "global install" procedure.  I'd consider doing a manual install into the DCS install/bin directory and leave SVR alone so the kids can play whatever they want.  Otherwise you're gonna be getting a lot of technical support calls along the lines of "DAD!  You're ruining my life! FIX THE COMPUTER!!!!" 

To do that, you'd follow the "Per Game Installation" instructions here, download the 64-bit dll and just slap it into your DCS install /bin folder.  In that same folder, find  D3DCompiler_47.dll and rename it to something like  D3DCompiler_47.dll.old and you should be gtg.  

Be advised, your rig might wind up running too well.  If your frame rates are peaking above 60 you'll start getting dropped frames.  If that happens, don't freak out, we'll fix it for ya

Edited by DeltaMike

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

Thanks - this sounds like a weekend project.  I think I'm going to pull my DCS off the NVME and leave that to SVR games for the kids.  I'll buy another NVME this weekend and reinstall DCS clean on that and point OXR that way.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the difference will be.  Maybe the smoother gameplay will help with the nausea

• 1 month later...

welp - i followed the instructions and did a clean/repair with skates tool.

I downloaded openxr for windows and set it up as per the thread

I did a manual install of the 64 bit dll into my DCS bin and renamed the D3Dcompiler.

I hit launch on the desktop and it puts the vr hangar i used to see in steam vr on my desktop... I cant get it to load into the g2 at all.  

Any ideas?

Assuming you have a WMR headset...

There's no need to put any files into the bin folder with the global installer, simply delete the D3D compiler and with WMRP open, run DCS.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.