CMWS Audible missile warnings delayed

FalcoGer

The missile warning comes up right away as the flashing arrow on the CMWS bolt on. If in auto the flares launch right away. But the missile warning is often delayed by up to 3 seconds, by which time a missile had plenty of time to blow you up or get someplace where flares won't do much anymore.

This is especially troublesome if you are currently engaging and are on bypass since you don't want to spend your flares for friendly missile launches.

In the attached track you can see the flares launching and the missile warning flashing but the audio warning comes way later (way later being relative to a short range missile heading your way from 1500m). By the time you hear the warning, the missile has already covered 2/3rds of the way, even though the launch was detected right away.

Unrelated: George just doesn't want to shoot the gun.

Late_Missile_Warning.trk

Edited by FalcoGer

• FalcoGer changed the title to CMWS Audible missile warnings delayed

The delay setting is inside a bit of the lua code that is accessible. It's set by default as 2 seconds (so all the CMWS actions happen, but the audio happens 2 seconds later). That value can be changed to zero by editing the lua and everything happens together.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

16 hours ago, NineLine said:

We don't have a definitive source on how it should or shouldn't be, I will put this in the Wishlist section and we will revisit later if we take another look at how this system functions. Thanks.

If a missile is detected, the warning should be played. If you don't have any other information, the most reasonable guess would be that the missile warning is played before the missile hits you, not afterwards. Who in their right mind would engineer a system that delays such information?

• Like 1

• ED Team
14 hours ago, Scaley said:

The delay setting is inside a bit of the lua code that is accessible. It's set by default as 2 seconds (so all the CMWS actions happen, but the audio happens 2 seconds later). That value can be changed to zero by editing the lua and everything happens together.  

Yeah that matches my timing of it as well. I think this is a reasonable request, but as I have no backing evidence, its one of those ones I will put off to the side and push when things get a little more fleshed out.

• Like 1

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

1 hour ago, FalcoGer said:

If a missile is detected, the warning should be played. If you don't have any other information, the most reasonable guess would be that the missile warning is played before the missile hits you, not afterwards. Who in their right mind would engineer a system that delays such information?

I'd agree, but while it's worked on just go to:
\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\AH-64D\Cockpit\Scripts\ASE\CMWS\CMWS_params.lua

and change line 26:
local short_delay    = 2.0

to a delay you prefer (like zero). 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Scaley said:

I'd agree, but while it's worked on just go to:
\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\AH-64D\Cockpit\Scripts\ASE\CMWS\CMWS_params.lua

and change line 26:
local short_delay    = 2.0

to a delay you prefer (like zero). 

is that IC safe?

• Like 1

I agree, that delay seems a bit ridiculous, as it leaves very little, if any, time to react to a missile. I don't know why a delay has been introduced in the lua, why would you delay a threat warning? I hope it's fixed soon, it makes CMWS quite hard to use effectively in manual mode, as you have to look at the quadrant at all time.

Edited by Mad_Shell
  • Like 1

I think I might have found the reason why it is delayed. It is probably a DCS workaround that doesn't apply to the real thing.

When launched at by a radar guided sam that gives you an RWR launch warning, it will say things like "SA-8 Launch - Missile missile forward." (there is no delay audible in any of that). I think the delay is there for the first part to complete. I think a more reasonable approach would be to put the voice warnings into a queue that plays one after the other, and immediately. Just gotta make sure that there is no silence in the audio file for too long at the start or end.

Edited by FalcoGer
  • Like 1

• ED Team
17 minutes ago, FalcoGer said:

I think I might have found the reason why it is delayed. It is probably a DCS workaround that doesn't apply to the real thing.

When launched at by a radar guided sam that gives you an RWR launch warning, it will say things like "SA-8 Launch - Missile missile forward." (there is no delay audible in any of that). I think the delay is there for the first part to complete. I think a more reasonable approach would be to put the voice warnings into a queue that plays one after the other, and immediately. Just gotta make sure that there is no silence in the audio file for too long at the start or end.

If that is the case it probably would be a bug, so you are seeing if the first part is played there is no delay, show me a track and I will dig into it again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Here you go. I believe the delay in the missile warning is there to make room for the RWR launch warning.

Also george decides to put master arm to safe in the middle of combat.

Also also again, what was stopping you to put a sam and an apache into the ME. Literally took me 1 minute. The time it takes you to test it is the same time it takes you to watch the track. Which for me was about another 2 minutes. The rest of the track is just messing about.

NoDelay_Missile_Warning_With_RWR.trk

Edited by FalcoGer