Some wishes

Digitalvole

Dear Father Christmas/the Genii of the Lamp/ the CO of the Wishes battalion, please grant my wishes:

Wish 1: it’d be great if the refuelling probe caused the aircraft to roll to the right a little like in the Tomcat. Assuming it does this in real life ofc.

Wish 2: a separate view distance for targeting pods. It’s too easy to find targets when the buildings they are hiding behind are not rendered. 

Wish 3: 3 more wishes!

Thank you.

And a quick question, why can we program the laser code of the gbu when in flight? I didn’t think this was possible irl.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Hulkbust44 said:

The reason we can set the paveway II laser codes is because we can't tell the JTAC to change codes.

Ahh, that makes sense. 

26 minutes ago, Mikaa said:

This may also be waiting on the mission planner/DTC implementation. For now there’s some workarounds to assist in employing certain laser based weapons. 

Looking forward to the DTC.

I don’t want to sound like I’m just comparing the Hornet to the Tomcat but… some of the stuff that HB implemented via the kneeboard with the F14 would be most welcome for us too. Such as setting the laser code before takeoff and the carrier landing breakdown page after landing (love that feature!).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2022 at 11:55 AM, Phantom711 said:

"Wish 1: it’d be great if the refuelling probe caused the aircraft to roll to the right a little like in the Tomcat. Assuming it does this in real life ofc."

The Hornet is Fly-by-wire...why would it roll to the right?

I don’t know if it would, though it seems plausible to me. If you have an asymmetric load the fly by wire doesn’t help much, still needs trimming out. 

Though I could be (and probably am) wrong, I don’t think fly by wire = straight and level flight at all times. As an example if you have an Aim 120 on one side and the Tpod on the other then there is a bit of roll, both on the F16 and F18. I find it more subtle in the Hornet (due to the Amram counter weight) but it’s there.

Anyway as I said, if it’s correct as is then super dooper, if not maybe it could be added.  🙂

Seeing as I’m here I thought I’d add that the issue with buildings not rendering in the Tpod is pretty bad. I have view distance set to High and, off the top of my head, at anything above 20 miles away those poor little tanks look terribly exposed.

Edited by Digitalvole

Hey...sorry...didn`t want to sound rude. Maybe you are right...I don`t know....

I would think, that a FBW-system should make up for something like this and as far as I know it`s only for some significant asymmetry that you have to trim out (i.e 1000lbs bomb on one side only etc...). But as I said....I might be wrong as well...

vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

image.png

No worries, I didn’t think you were being rude. 🙂

Update: Well I was wrong about the ATFLIR causing roll when you have an Aim 120 on the other cheek, but fire even one of your Aim 9s and the FBW system dose not compensate for it.

Does the A10 have something up it’s sleeve to counteract asymmetrical loads? I seem to remember it does but it’s been a long time since I took the Hog for a spin.

Edited by Digitalvole