Quick question about autopilot

Sparrow_1976

...how do you disengage it? I know that there is an on/off switch on the left console, but it also resets the altitude/heading switches and I have to move them again the next time I need the autopilot. Is there a method to temporarily disengage the autopilot while maintaining the setting?

2 hours ago, Sparrow_1976 said:

but it also resets the altitude/heading switches and I have to move them again the next time I need the autopilot

Those switches are spring loaded to return to off when the autopilot is disengaged. If you want to turn off the autopilot, you’re going to have to reset them.

16 hours ago, Whiskey Greg said:

You can just push or pull the stick beyond the allowance for adjustment and it will disengage the autopilot

This is not quite right, and something that trips a lot of people up. Overpowering the stick disengages altitude hold, heading hold, etc, but does not disengage the autopilot itself, and you will be in attitude hold until you flip the autopilot switch to off, hit the autopilot emergency disengage paddle, or disengage one of the SAS channels.