Can someone explain ranging for rockets?

dmatt76

I know you can set: 

• nav range
  • manual range
  • auto range

but after many test runs I couldn't really tell the difference between those three. i-beam seems to have its own life anyway but it is always around LOS reticle, the rockets hit somewhere around LOS reticle regardless of the setting...
Is it only affecting the limits of firing because of max range (7.5km for rockets)? 

Basically, if using HMD as a sight: where you look is where the system tries to aim the rockets, no matter the ranging source. Your I-beam needs to be lined up with the HMD crosshairs for azimuth, but you will have to fire-adjust-fire in elevation to get rockets on target. If rockets hit too short, then adjust your head above the target; if too long, then adjust down.

Think of the ranging source as a weapon zero, not your actual aim point.

Edited by NeedzWD40

3 minutes ago, NeedzWD40 said:

where you look is where the system tries to aim the rockets, no matter the ranging source. .

Exactly, so if the ranging source does not affect that, so what does it affect? What's the difference if I choose the A method and see A2.5km or choose W02 as acquistion and see 2.5KM to the source? Seems like A should be the prefered method with pilot's solo run.

1 minute ago, dmatt76 said:

so what does it affect?

It affects where the pylons are elevating to hit, thus making it a bit easier to adjust your fire. If your target is at 4km and you set your range to 4km, then adjustments with your aim point are minor instead of major. Try it: set your range to 500m and attempt to manually aim at a target at 3km away. You have to elevate your head a great deal to make up that range.

The problem with the automatic mode is it's generally unreliable due to being dependent on radar altimeter and angles. What might look like a small change in range from your viewpoint can easily be misconstrued as an extreme change by the automatic mode. From higher altitudes and flatter ground it might be adequate, but if you're spending a lot of time down in the weeds you'll want a more reliable ranging source. As another example, it also adds difficulty when attempting to fire indirectly over obstacles.

Yes, the I-beam isn't CCIP; it's intended to be used as an indicator for how much elevation you have available for your pylons. So if your sight is at the top of the I-beam, you have little/no remaining positive elevation, while if at the bottom then you have little negative elevation available.