Wayno

Direct storage has not yet been implemented by any games as this is a new feature being developed by windows but it essentially enables the GPU to communicate directly with storage in order to slash graphical loading times. Could this be something that may be implemented in DCS one day? I’m by no means a subject matter expert in this field but I would really like to learn more about how this could potentially be implemented in DCS from those who know much more about this subject than I do.

• Like 4

On 4/23/2022 at 1:49 AM, Wayno said:

Direct storage has not yet been implemented by any games as this is a new feature being developed by windows but it essentially enables the GPU to communicate directly with storage in order to slash graphical loading times. Could this be something that may be implemented in DCS one day? I’m by no means a subject matter expert in this field but I would really like to learn more about how this could potentially be implemented in DCS from those who know much more about this subject than I do.

Load times? Storage? Load times aren't where we have issues here, so I'd say the benefit would be little or nothing. Your best solution for ''load times'' is going to be just a good ol' SATA SSD. NVMe if you feel like slurging but practical benefits with them are negligible.

Aside from that, most the stuff mentioned in sales brochures represents the cutting edge and very possibly niche, and typically require integration from the beginning, thus the extensive delays between when people start seeing ads vs when a concept actually starts appearing in games.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Isn't that more of a hardware thing? I don't think it's something a given program can implement or not, even with a low-level API like Vulkan. It's just a way to keep things that should end up in VRAM from clogging the system RAM, and to streamline communications somewhat. In consumer hardware, the SSD itself, even NVMe one, will still be a bottleneck.

• Like 1

My point was, in a gaming PC, the PCIe switch has far more throughput than an SSD can output. Uncoupling the GPU from CPU, and VRAM from system RAM (actually a bigger concern with DCS, 4K textures tend to gobble up RAM and the CPU doesn't really need them) would be quite beneficial, but as far as actually speeding up data transfer goes, it's still up to how fast bits can come out of the SSD, at least unless you have some crazy RAID 0 setup that can saturate the entire bus.

By "hardware thing", I meant that it'd be up to the graphics card and/or the mobo, and to their drivers, to support that kind of flow, not anything particular in the sim.

Edited by Dragon1-1
  • Like 1

Thanks for the explanation.

16 hours ago, ApacheLongbow said:

Any hardware can be a bottleneck.

Everybody freaks out when they discover ''I have a bottleneck!'' Yeah, that's normal. In any given setup, there's one part that's slighty slower than the others... plot twist! This is context sensitive and what's a bottleneck in one context might not be in another!!!

tenor.gif

• Like 1

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

DirectStorage is a DX12 Feature, DCS is not going to utilize DX12

• Like 1

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs