Kh-29 and KAB-500Kr fail to track moving objects

Kilo

I found that the optical sensors on those two weapons will either fail to track moving objects or refuse to fire altogether. Tracks attached.

The Kh-29T can engage static targets (AC shown on screen) or arbitrary spots on the map (KC shown). In both those situations, we get "PR" on the HUD and Shkval. But, as soon as the target is moving, the "PR" indication disappears. (demonstrated in the track by alternatively locking the moving target and the ground next to it). The only way to shoot the missile then is by using launch override. And then the missile will target the area where the target was when I pulled the trigger.

The KAB-500Kr can be dropped when locking a moving target, but it too will hit the place where the target was when I pulled the trigger.

This is a pretty jarring bug, as the seeker is supposed to track the blob on the image that I told it to, and not act like a JDAM.

Kh-29T_tracker.trk KAB-500Kr_tracker.trk

• Like 2

Все буде добре

As near as I can tell, neither weapon is designed for use against moving targets. The “T’s” manual notes that they were designed for use against heavily fortified targets such as command bunkers, etc. The Kh-29T’s warhead, for instance, is quite large and half the missile’s entire weight.

The way it models the lock is a bit squirrelly, though. KC simply means it’s ground stabilized. AC is the lock notification. And, once the object is locked, both should attempt to follow it whether the target was appropriate for the weapon or not.

Edit: But, since in ED’s mind these are used against fixed objects, they simplified things by having the “lock” made on a fixed point on the ground. If there is an object covering that point, it’s hit.

Edited by Ironhand
  • Like 2

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

It still is kind of weird, as both those weapons have simple photocontrast sensors which, in real life, should track the spot in the image that's darker/brighter than the background that I locked, regardless if it's moving or not. I mean, the Kh-29T magically drops the PR indication once the target is moving. I don't know how that would even be achieved in real life.

• Like 1

Все буде добре

• 1 year later...

Kh-29T tracks moving targets during day, but Kab-500TV do not if used by Su-25T, AI still can make it tracks. I believe there is bug in the seeker, cause if you use Kab-1500Tv it works (not all the time idk why) for both Su-25T and AI.

• Like 1

None of the TV guided weapons are tracking targets going above 6km/h. AI is able to use the Kab-500kr against ground targets at any speed, but it is unable to use Kh-29T even against stationary targets. There is definetely something wrong here.

Here is a track showing all these claims:

Su-25T TV weapons not tracking.trk

Edited by Skuva
  • Like 2

I just wanted to report the same, so bump. Kh-29 T will not give LA then locked onto a moving target, and will hit where the target was at launch if you override it. I agree that given it's optically tracking, this behavior doesn't make much sense. Also while I know this weapon is intended for bunkers and such, it's the only Russian fire and forget ground attack missile, so it's kinda important.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

K-500 kr is broken and it can not be used. The HUD never shows it in range even if you are close to the target.

Some time ago, in a newlester, EA talked about the improvements in the armament of the red side. I hope this is the cause of the bug and it will be fixed sooner rather than later.

te.png

Edited by pabletesoy
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/22/2024 at 11:00 AM, pabletesoy said:

K-500 kr is broken and it can not be used. The HUD never shows it in range even if you are close to the target.

The K-500KR is a free fall bomb and not a missile. At that altitude, you will never hit anything since the bomb doesnt have the room for corrections. Try from 3000m

• Like 1

My skins