FLIR on Activate and Deactivated units.

Doum76

Just realized i initialy created this in wrong Forum section. Here it is.

Hey guys, maybe this was posted, maybe not, or already been told, but basicly i was out of DCS for over a year, updated a few weeks ago to try the AH-64, and last week i changed my computer, all fresh new installed, no copying around, so bascily no preferences etc, using latest open beta version.

I've read a few things that the new FLIR mgiht had Whot and Bhot inverted etc.. but what i am wondering now, as i played a mission i created a while ago and head interogation as differences, as on a friend mission or generated mission, vehicules from mission were not being white or black hot, but as the scene, while on my mission, they were being white hot, same colors as the explosions and really contrasted. And i think i found out the differences and wanna if something i miss or something i need to set.

Basicly in short my mission has SAM+AAA that can be turned on, or AI activated from radio menu, when ever i wanna deal with SAM or not, so found out when they are off/deactivated, they are white hot, same as fire when i shoot them and also like the scene moving vehicles/traffic, but when turned on, they end up like the scene, no white hot or anything on FLIR, so i did the test, looked at them on the AH-64 tads being off, they are white hot, the second i activate them, they stop glowing and turn as the scene.

So i did a test if you wanna reproduce, created new units, when i make the unit late activate checked box and show before activate checked box on the mission editor, they are indeed white hot, when i remove the two checkboxes for these options, they end up again not white hot and as if, not on....

----

EDit:

To help view what i mean is, screenshot, i added 2x Tunguska and 2x Luv Tigr, the two on the left are normal actives, while the two on the right as seen in ME, are Late activation and Visible before activation.

The Tigsr are the same with both options seen in the FLIR,but the Tungunska deactivated on the right is hot/glow on FLIR, while the activated one on the left is normal as if not detected by Flir or not glowing. Both Tiungunska should be eitehr the same or both Tigrs should be different, in otehr words, the two vehicles are treated differently, sl i'm a bti confused between these difference, i haven'T tried all vehicles, but a few, and the AAA Ural on pickup does the same as the Tugunska, so does the Shilka, so each time i do a mission with normal active SAMS/AAA is a bit of a pain as they don't show on FLIR, so not sure if it was a bug or something i do not understand in the FLIR system.

SA-8, SA-9, SA-16, Shilka and AAA on Ural does the same things.

Digital Combat Simulator 2022-04-24 1_49_19 PM.png

Digital Combat Simulator 2022-04-24 1_49_07 PM.png

Digital Combat Simulator 2022-04-24 1_48_15 PM.png

• Like 1

@Doum76 interesting. this does look like opposite of what it should be. i noticed with A10 that it is really hard to see targets. moving vehicles have less thermal signature than a tree.

• Like 1

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

48 minutes ago, silverdevil said:

@Doum76 interesting. this does look like opposite of what it should be. i noticed with A10 that it is really hard to see targets. moving vehicles have less thermal signature than a tree.

Yeah and i don't think is a matter of inverted polarity, as i tried on this screenshot, all AAA/SAM units (Sa-8, SA-9, SA-16, Shilka, AAA on Ural, does this except the Tigr, and you have white hot and black hot and even on black hot, you can see they are different grayscale, so if it was just inverted polarity, both the left column on screenshot 1, should be the same grayscale as right columnDEfault White hot with left colum as non Flir showingBlack is hot on the other screenshot. (Screenshot with heading tape at 352 is the one with white hot on right and left default as spoken above, while the screenshot with heading tape at 354 is polarity inverted with black hot) and anyways both black columns are different. Feels liek they are seing like on , forget he mode, but like CATV on some pods in the sim, instead of showing as FLIR.

https://imgur.com/j1ZAO8e
https://imgur.com/6cBq69G

Edited by Doum76

@Doum76 in your second screen shot, the column of vehicles is what i see with active vehicles. really hard to see anything. i have some experience with thermal sights from the early 80s and i never found it hard to see targets. even wildlife. deer looked like lions because all their heat came from the neck and head. oh an i have been flying A10 since 2011 and the phenomena has not always been this way.

Edited by silverdevil

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

Not sure where to post this, if it's a DCS thing or module thing as i didn't re-installed anything besides the Apache on my new system to try out on otehr modules, so here it is in this section as well. I've also read some bug report about infantry hard to find, i haven'T tried, but wondering if the same with infantry.

Hey guys, maybe this was posted, maybe not, or already been told, but basicly i was out of DCS for over a year, updated a few weeks ago to try the AH-64, and last week i changed my computer, all fresh new installed, no copying around, so bascily no preferences etc, using latest open beta version.

I've read a few things that the new FLIR mgiht had Whot and Bhot inverted etc.. but what i am wondering now, as i played a mission i created a while ago and head interogation as differences, as on a friend mission or generated mission, vehicules from mission were not being white or black hot, but as the scene, while on my mission, they were being white hot, same colors as the explosions and really contrasted. And i think i found out the differences and wanna if something i miss or something i need to set.

Basicly in short my mission has SAM+AAA that can be turned on, or AI activated from radio menu, when ever i wanna deal with SAM or not, so found out when they are off/deactivated, they are white hot, same as fire when i shoot them and also like the scene moving vehicles/traffic, but when turned on, they end up like the scene, no white hot or anything on FLIR, so i did the test, looked at them on the AH-64 tads being off, they are white hot, the second i activate them, they stop glowing and turn as the scene.

So i did a test if you wanna reproduce, created new units, when i make the unit late activate checked box and show before activate checked box on the mission editor, they are indeed white hot, when i remove the two checkboxes for these options, they end up again not white hot and as if, not on....

Image with Luv Tigr and Tunguska side by side, left side both units active, while on right side, both units deactivated/activate late

https://imgur.com/cnDxlyg

Mission editor showing both sides unit settings,

https://imgur.com/hbd7gR4

Colums with on the front the Tigr, and behind, Shilka, Tunguska, Strelam Osa, AAA etc... on White hot and Black hot, and left side are always different, so not just polarity inversed.

https://imgur.com/6cBq69G
https://imgur.com/j1ZAO8e
https://imgur.com/JetEegz

• ED Team

Hi, 

Please include the track replay or the mission, we will take a closer look. 

Active vehicles should be hotter, deactivated vehicles should be colder.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

36 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hi , 

Please include the track replay or the mission, we will take a closer look. 

Active vehicles should be hotter, deactivated vehicles should be colder.

thanks

Here you go @BIGNEWY, my test mission, ground hot and targets are ROE Hold fire, so you can directly jump on CP/G and check target in front. Left column active, right column Late Active+Visible BeforeActiv.  I tried all possible options, Group AI off/ON, AI Off/ON, starting mission Off with a triger to activate after still does the thing, i even have my main train missions with SAM units activating by a radio menu, so while i was looking at targets they were hot, the second i activate them through my radio menu, they went IR signature off. As mentionned, i haven't tried on any other module t help you guys if it's AH-64 or DCS, just reinstalled all on new computer and started with minimum i play with for now. I've tried with many units and does the same, infantry, some armored, mainly SAMs on this one, so far only the Luv Tigre has the same signature on and off, though less hot than other units, not sure if in DCS difference of temperature shows in IR or still also a bug or something.

test.miz

• Thanks 1

• ED Team

The team have a report and will investigate the late activate FLIR state. 

thank you

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Even though ED is checking  this already, i made some tests myself. Can provide screenshots and track tomorrow. (AH64D TADS view)

My assumptions are:

'late activated' units with 'show befor activation' may use the old FLIR models from before AH64D launch. At least they look a lot like that. And they are therefore "hot" (and white if you have whitehot selected).

When they are activated they use the new FLIR models instantly, that is why they are "cold" (look nearly like surrounding). Only when they then start to drive/shoot/etc they will 'generate' heat and show up better in FLIR.

I think this is also the point the OP was missing when he wrote '[they went] flir signature off'. 

So for mission creators, we now need a way to set the heat signature of a unit when it spawns or gets activated. Otherwise you will only get cold units all over your missions (as long as they didnt move etc).

Thy 🙂

K