WAY over use of RAM when Req is 16gb!

RAM is there to be used, not to sit idly. If you have 16GB physical RAM in your PC it will work OK and game will create swap if needed. If you have more RAM it will allocate that instead of using swap. 

And recommended setting is recommended. Not "this is maximum that the software will take". You could play SP and you'll be fine with ~10GB usage. Go to a crowded MP server with bunch of units on the map at the same time and just watch the RAM usage increase. That is fine BTW, you want as much of the stuff loaded in RAM instead of your SSD or even worse HDD.

• Like 3

On 4/25/2022 at 4:56 AM, Vakarian said:

RAM is there to be used, not to sit idly. If you have 16GB physical RAM in your PC it will work OK and game will create swap if needed. If you have more RAM it will allocate that instead of using swap. 

And recommended setting is recommended. Not "this is maximum that the software will take". You could play SP and you'll be fine with ~10GB usage. Go to a crowded MP server with bunch of units on the map at the same time and just watch the RAM usage increase. That is fine BTW, you want as much of the stuff loaded in RAM instead of your SSD or even worse HDD.

Well I guess that expalins why the RAM Usage in the 4ya server I played last night was tapping my newly aquired 64GB of RAM. So I guess it is really not using all 64GB it is just allocated then instead of just full out using all of it?

I also thought that if it did use all the RAM when it needed more it would start taxing the Pagefile, is this not the case? I mean I did not see any worse performance it was just that it was showing ram was full but since you say this is fine at what point would you have enough memory, or is there ever really enough?

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

It will tax the pagefile but it will do so as little as possible. The idea is that the most used memory pages stay in memory. It's a very similar concept to how protected mode on CPUs work - process states are pushed to the stack when another process wants to execute, and retrieved when the process has to be run again. This is how windows could multitask even with only a single core CPU present.

Bits of the O/S, other running programs etc will all be offloaded to pagefile when something like DCS is running as well as bits of DCS itself. It's just that DCS can exceed the point where the cost of paging justifies a RAM upgrade to 32GB prevent it because processes start waiting for disk I/O for memory pages. The pagefile is always being used and it's a normal function of any modern O/S in some form or another.

Just because 32GB looks full and say you have an overall 40GB commit, it doesn't necessarily mean you need an upgrade, it's windows doing its job and keeping the needed bits of memory in memory.

On 4/24/2022 at 10:07 PM, ICMatrix said:

A: Fix your game or B: Change your Specs to 32gb needed. DONT KNOW WHY it needs 20+ 

Just because it uses 20+ GB of RAM doesn´t mean it NEEDS all of it.
Remove 16 GB of your RAM and see if you can still start DCS. If you can´t, come back here and complain about the requirements.

I would be more upset if DCS only used half of my RAM...
I mean, I really don´t get the problem, it´s not like you have to buy new RAM after you play because DCS used it all up ...