GBUs + CMTR TGT with JTAC lasing - Inconsistent?

Callsign JoNay

Hey guys,

Has anyone noticed inconsistency with GBUs lately? I'm trying to deploy GBU 24s and 16s on a stationary target marked and lased by an AI JTAC, and I'm seeing some inconsistent results.

See below video. I broke the timeline into three chapters for convenience.

Chapter 1- A pair of GBU-24s dropped from the F-14. Both bombs sail wide of the lased target.

Chapter 2- A pair of GBU-16s dropped from the F-14. One bomb tracks the laser and one sails wide. This is the most confusing chapter for me. How is it even possible for one bomb to see the laser and for one to miss when they were dropped as a pair? It makes no sense to me. Anyone have an explanation for that?

Chapter 3- A pair of GBU-24s dropped from the F/A-18. Both bombs track the laser and shack the target as expected.

Notes:

-My GBU-24s don't always miss. Sometimes they both track the laser as intended, but it's rare. I ran a few dozen trials this weekend and I would say on average 6/7 trial runs missed their target.

-Also, the one hit one miss behavior of the GBU-16s in the video is not exclusive to the 16s. Sometimes my GBU-24s have split results also.

-Last note, my GBU drops from the F/A-18 hit every time 100% accuracy in my trials, so I don't believe it's a blanket GBU issue. It feels Tomcat specific to me.

I've attached the miz in case anyone wants to give it a try and shoot me some feedback.

F-14B GBU CMPTR TGT JTAC TEST.miz

Edited by Callsign JoNay

• Callsign JoNay changed the title to GBUs + CMTR TGT with JTAC lasing - Inconsistent?

Some images from TACVIEW...

GBU-24 Drop:

16.8 ASL, 344 IAS, weapon release at ~4.60 DME

image.png

GBU-16 Drop:

17.6 ASL, 340 IAS, weapon release at ~4.66 DME

image.png

GBU-24 from F-18:

16.1 ASL, 374 IAS, weapon release at 5.36 DME

image.png

Is CMPTR TGT + GBU 16/24 releasing too late in the Tomcat and causing guidance issues as a result?

Hmmmm....

Did some testing on the same miz with all wind disabled and the GBUs set to a code different from the JTAC to see what would happen if I deployed them unguided, to see if there is a significant difference to what DME they are deployed from and where the bombs from an F-14 land in relation to an F-18.

F-14 GBU-24 un-lased drop from angels 15, 340 IAS, bombs only went 650ft long. (Actually more accurate than my JTAC-lased testing I did on the weekend.) 
DME of the drop was 4.3 NM.

unknown.png

unknown.png?width=1440&height=917

F-18 GBU-24 un-lased drop from angels 15, 340 IAS, bombs imact the ground about 2400 feet short of target. DME of the drop was 4.68 NM.

unknown.png

unknown.png

So yes, the Tomcat seems to release it's bombs via CMPTR TGT a little bit later than the Hornet does via it's analogous mode, but it's not by much and if anything the Tomcat is more accurate than the Hornet. I'm super-stumped. I have no idea why my JTAC-lased bombs are so inconsistent in the Tomcat compared to the Hornet, and/or how a pair of bombs dropped at the same time could ever result in one following the laser and the other ignoring it.

Edited by Callsign JoNay