F/A-18C ACLS preview/tutorial

AstonMartinDBS

Tutorial for SC:

Tutorial for the non-SC implementation:

I'm looking forward to the next OB update.

Thanks ED & @Wags!

Edited by AstonMartinDBS
  • Like 3

[Modules] A-10C, A-10C II, AH-64D, F-14A/B, F-16C, F/A-18C, FC3, Ka-50, P-51D, UH-1H, CA, SC
[Maps] PG, NTTR, Normandy, Sinai, Syria, TC

[OS] Windows 11 Pro
[PC] MSI Pro Z790-A, i9-13900K, 64 GB DDR5-5200, RTX 4090 24 GB GDDR6X, 2 x SSD 990 PRO 2 TB (M.2), Corsair 5000D Airflow, HX1500i, H150i RGB Elite, Acer X28, TM HOTAS Warthog (Grip@WarBRD Base), MS SW FFB2, Thrustmaster TFRP, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro
[Checklists] A-10C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AH-64D, Ka-50, UH-1H

6 minutes ago, Thump said:

Nothing like forcing the SC purchase via another product bought prior to the SC's existence.

What an odd response! So, where else would you be expecting to use ACLS? The clue is in the name (Automatic Carrier Landing System). If you don't already use the carrier, then you're unlikely to want to use ACLS. If you DO have the carrier, then you'll be getting this for your F18 for free. What's with your attitude?!

• Like 8

CPU: Intel i9 13900KS @5.8GHz | MB: ROG Strix Z790 Gaming-E | GPU: Asus ROG Strix RTX3090 OC | RAM: 32Gb Corsair Dominator DDR5 @6200MHz | Cooling: Custom CPU/GPU cooling loop | PSU: Supernova 850G2 @ 850W | OS: Windows 10 Home Premium 64Bit
Storage: 3x Samsung EVO 970 Plus M.2 1Tb + 3x Samsung 850 EVO SSD 250Gb | Input: TM HOTAS WH Saitek Combat Pedals | Output: Samsung 50" OLED TV | VR: HP Reverb G2 | Audio: Realtek + Z906 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System

The vid raises a few questions too... 

D/L UFC options, shows link4 options but how to get the other MIDS info page with VocA and VocB? 

does a second press on D/L does the trick or is the link 4 options comming if ILS is selected on and MIDS option coles on D/L press if ILS is off? 

Also, are the voice message from approach frequency and ownship definitive or are we gonna get some updates there too? 

if flying Mode 1 or 1A, ball call should state also "coupled" in the call, no? 

BR

Rig: MB Gigabite z390UD, CPU Intel I7 8700k, RAM 32G DDR4 3200 Gskill ripjaws, GPU MSI RTX2080SuperOC, HDD Crucial mx500 1tb M2 sata, PSU Corsair 850W, watercooling Corsair h100,

Controlers TM f/a 18 stick on Virpil warbrd base, TM cougar f16 stick on cougar base, Cougar F16 throttle on TUSBA, ch pedals, TM cougar MFD

27" monitor with trk IR 5 and HP Reverb HMD.

Modules F18, F16, F86, Mig15, FW 190D9, Nellis range map, Aggr campaign, Middle East map

I'm a bit curious about the setting up of the carrier in the ME. I noticed that Wags sort of glossed over the command to activate the Tacan yet it was there once we were in the cockpit and what about the command to activate the ICLS for the carrier? Were we just supposed to assume that those mission builder actions are taken for granted or are they no longer necessary with the advent of the Link4?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1 hour ago, Chief Instructor said:

What an odd response! So, where else would you be expecting to use ACLS? The clue is in the name (Automatic Carrier Landing System). If you don't already use the carrier, then you're unlikely to want to use ACLS. If you DO have the carrier, then you'll be getting this for your F18 for free. What's with your attitude?!

You say 'unlikely to want to use ACLS.' What if we want to use it though? Not trying to quarrel but wondering what you mean.

1 hour ago, Chief Instructor said:

Maybe on FREE Stennis?

1 hour ago, VIXEN413 said:

The vid raises a few questions too... 

D/L UFC options, shows link4 options but how to get the other MIDS info page with VocA and VocB? 

does a second press on D/L does the trick or is the link 4 options comming if ILS is selected on and MIDS option coles on D/L press if ILS is off? 

Also, are the voice message from approach frequency and ownship definitive or are we gonna get some updates there too? 

if flying Mode 1 or 1A, ball call should state also "coupled" in the call, no? 

BR

Looks like we cane loose MIDS VOC, because ED didn't now we use in on SRS or they don't care, because SRS is independed mod.

57 minutes ago, AG-51_Razor said:

I'm a bit curious about the setting up of the carrier in the ME. I noticed that Wags sort of glossed over the command to activate the Tacan yet it was there once we were in the cockpit and what about the command to activate the ICLS for the carrier? Were we just supposed to assume that those mission builder actions are taken for granted or are they no longer necessary with the advent of the Link4?

I guess tutorial showed only new features, and settinf TACAN and ICLS will be this same as it was.

• ED Team

Topic here is ACLS please stay on topic

thanks. 

2 hours ago, Thump said:

Nothing like forcing the SC purchase via another product bought prior to the SC's existence.

Sorry, but I'm not sure what you mean. We've mentioned many times that carrier support for ACLS was being creating for SC and corresponding ACLS work for the Hornet. We've never said ACLS was coming to the old, free carrier. In fact, it would not even be possible given that it cannot support the comms or Link4 created for ACLS. Sorry for any confusion.

• Like 4

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

6 hours ago, Chief Instructor said:

Turns out there's more than one carrier....

4 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Topic here is ACLS please stay on topic

thanks. 

Sorry, but I'm not sure what you mean. We've mentioned many times that carrier support for ACLS was being creating for SC and corresponding ACLS work for the Hornet. We've never said ACLS was coming to the old, free carrier. In fact, it would not even be possible given that it cannot support the comms or Link4 created for ACLS. Sorry for any confusion.

howcouldIhavethoughotherwise.png

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/236553-dcs-fa-18c-hornet-features-roadmap/

Absolutely nothing about the SC in this post by your own people.

Placing a paywall on an expected module capability through another is very poor form.

Edited by Thump
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, VIXEN413 said:

I'm fairly certain there are multiple datalink UFC pages, and pressing D/L will cycle between them. Just like the IFF has separate transponder and interrogator pages. 

3 hours ago, AG-51_Razor said:

I'm a bit curious about the setting up of the carrier in the ME. I noticed that Wags sort of glossed over the command to activate the Tacan yet it was there once we were in the cockpit and what about the command to activate the ICLS for the carrier? 

My guess is he only wanted to show new ME options, and that the TACAN and ILS setup is unchanged from what it was before.

My question is what about the radar beacon? It was hinted that we would need to use the BCN button on the UFC for ACL setup, but that was not demonstrated in the video. Are there more details yet to come?

16 minutes ago, Bunny Clark said:

I'm fairly certain there are multiple datalink UFC pages, and pressing D/L will cycle between them. Just like the IFF has separate transponder and interrogator pages. 

My guess is he only wanted to show new ME options, and that the TACAN and ILS setup is unchanged from what it was before.

My question is what about the radar beacon? It was hinted that we would need to use the BCN button on the UFC for ACL setup, but that was not demonstrated in the video. Are there more details yet to come?

That's right, subsequent presses of the UFC D/L button should cycle between L4 and L16

• Like 1

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

1 hour ago, Chain_1 said:

That's because that post is about the F-18, hence its location in the F-18 forum.

And it should have an asterisk denoting the SC requirement seeing as how they are making ACLS a selling point of the Hornet module itself without any requirement whatsoever for the SC (not even sure if the SC was even a thing when they posted those expectations).  Adding to this, ACLS is not mentioned at all on the SC module sales page nor ED's release video or its description section. 

Edited by Thump
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Thump said:

The SuperCarrier + Hornet combo is worth every penny... given what they are in their current state and what they will be in the future.

• Like 5

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

Restricting the ACLS to the SC because the SC alone has case 3 comms makes zero sense. By that logic you might as well also restrict the Hornet's ILS, for the same reasons.

Frankly, ED should be better than this. You have been better than this in the past, and you should strive to keep it that way.

Edited by TLTeo
  • Like 5

14 minutes ago, TLTeo said:

Restricting the ACLS to the SC because the SC alone has case 3 comms makes zero sense. By that logic you might as well also restrict the Hornet's ILS, for the same reasons. I also don't see how discussing the interaction of the ACLS and available DCS carriers is straying off-topic. We're literally discussing that very a system will be implemented in the sim.

Frankly, ED should be better than this. You have been better than this in the past, and you should strive to keep it that way.

*Stares in (currently broken) Tomcat ACLS for all three carriers.*

Edited by Thump
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Thump said:

*Stares in (currently broken) Tomcat ACLS for all three carriers.*

Just a thought. Seeing as whatever free carrier you are using:
A. Does not have the Comms nor any of the other functions such as DL, that would make up a proper ACLS Case III recovery.
B. No wands at night (coming)

I'm failing to see the gripe as you will not have these functions on a "dead" carrier anyway. Sounds like an immersion killer as you would be missing some pretty major pieces bro.

• Like 4

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

I'm confused with Link4 frequencies. Wags set up 336Mhz frequency in ME, but in game he had another frequency - 256 MHz, which was written down in kneeboard(was this auto generated page or manually added?). Where was 256Mhz come from? Why it is inconsistent with ME?

Screenshot_20220425_125506.pngScreenshot_20220425_125605.png

P.S. If Link4 frequency made it way to the kneeboard, may be there is a chance that we can get automatic kneeboard page with other frequencies and channels (radio, TACAN, ILS, etc.)?

• Like 2

Верните короновирус в качестве главной проблемы, спать в маске буду, обещаю.

Скрытый текст

Hardware: AMD 5900x, 64Gb RAM@3200MHz, NVidia RTX3070 8Gb, Monitor 3440x1440(21:9), Samsung 980pro 1Tb NVMe SSD, VKB Gunfighter+MCGU, Virpil Throttle CM3, VKB T-Rudder, TrackIR.

Hornet + SuperCarrier owner here and i think too that forcing to purchase SuperCarrier for using ACLS is a shame, it never was stated before.

ED falls again on the same stone that on the WWII assets pack...

• Like 7

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

1小时前,5ephir0th说:

Hornet + SuperCarrier owner here and i think too that forcing to purchase SuperCarrier for using ACLS is a shame, it never was stated before.

ED falls again on the same stone that on the WWII assets pack...

I have the same feeling too

This is the function of F18, those who bought F18 but did not buy SC will not be able to experience the full F18

CVN-74 has ICLS but not ACLS, so weird

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, FrostLaufeyson said:

I have the same feeling too

This is the function of F18, those who bought F18 but did not buy SC will not be able to experience the full F18

CVN-74 has ICLS but not ACLS, so weird

Thought that  was  the  idea  of  purchasing  the  sc  for  the  extra features  that its  going  to get,  this  is  one  of  them. Sure  there  will be  more  to come  for  the  sc. 

Edited by pete_auau
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Jackjack171 said:

Just a thought. Seeing as whatever free carrier you are using:
A. Does not have the Comms nor any of the other functions such as DL, that would make up a proper ACLS Case III recovery.
B. No wands at night (coming)

I'm failing to see the gripe as you will not have these functions on a "dead" carrier anyway. Sounds like an immersion killer as you would be missing some pretty major pieces bro.

Don't need it, don't want it.  I do want something that was made a selling feature of the Hornet on the Hornet forum for the purposes of making the Hornet more enticing to buy.  I really don't see how a community can be so anti-itself and choose a business over a better (and as advertised) total experience.

• Like 5