ACLS Questions after YT video

Foka

@Wags @BIGNEWY

Hi, great video about ACLS for Hornet, I'm really waiting for next patch.

Could you please clarify details about the system:

1. How do we configure MIDS if all D/L "page" on UFC has changed and looks like dedicated to ACLS?

2. Will it be possible to manually enter Case 3 Marshall data (stack, radial, push time) for online missions with player Marshall or/and...

3. Will it be possible to configure Link 4 Marshall info by player acting as Marshal on SC (for example on PLAT cam)?

4. Will AI LSO's grading on SC be fixed? After ACLS landing, which should ba and looks perfect grading is...

image.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• ED Team

Hi Foka, 

1- MIDS is not configurable, it will remain static.
2- No
3- No
4- The grade we see currently is due to the nose wheel and how it behaves on the touch down with the carrier, this will be tweaked. 

Hope that helps. 

thanks

• Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

8 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hi Foka, 

2- No
3- No
4- The grade we see currently is due to the nose wheel and how it behaves on the touch down with the carrier, this will be tweaked. 

Hope that helps. 

thanks

So we have lost the ability to adjust AIC, F/F 1, F/F 2, VOC A, and VOC B or am I misunderstanding?

• Like 6

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

24 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hi Foka, 

2- No
3- No

Hope that helps. 

thanks

What do you mean by MIDS is not cofigurable? MIDS voice channels VOC A and VOC B work perfectly ok with SRS and we use it all the time!

Edited by Foka
  • Thanks 1

I must be missing something abut the LINK 4 frequency.

In the Mission Editor, he setup the Default Link4 to 336 (which is what showed up on the Datalink initially) but then the Kneeboard showed a different frequency for the GW which was punched in.

Why set a frequency in the Mission Editor if it will be different based on the Carrier itself?

When we set TACAN number/ICLS number in the mission editor Advanced Waypoints, this is the value used in the mission. Link 4 behaves differently?

Edited by Recluse
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

For now the MIDS page will stay as it is currently. 

I'm confused, do you mean the D/L button will display this:

hEbWZzb.png

or this?

pcceAUz.png

If the former, how will we access VOC A & VOC B?

If the latter, how will ACLS work? Is there a way to toggle between the menus?

To clarify, this comment is regarding the DCS implementation. The real jet can switch between L4 and L16 by pushing the button again.

Edited by MARLAN_
add clarification
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

11 minutes ago, Recluse said:

In the Mission Editor, he setup the Default Link4 to 336 (which is what showed up on the Datalink initially) but then the Kneeboard showed a different frequency for the GW which was punched in.

Why set a frequency in the Mission Editor if it will be different based on the Carrier itself?

When we set TACAN number/ICLS number in the mission editor Advanced Waypoints, this is the value used in the mission. Link 4 behaves differently?

I guess tutorial show setting up different mission, than Wags flew (which really is misleading).
Again - I guess, we'll set TACAN and ICLS as we do now, and setting LINK 4 frequency will work - in tutorial it wasn't changed, in mission Wags' flew it was.

Edited by Foka
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Foka said:

I guess tutorial show setting up different mission, then Wags flew (which really is missleading).
Again - I guess, we'll set TACAN and ICLS as we do now, and setting LINK 4 frequency will work - in tutorial it wasn't changed, in mission Wags' flew it was.

Ahhh ok.. that makes sense. I thought that setup was for the current mission not just an illustration.

Hmm, will Hornets be able to use LINK 4 for fighter/fighter-DL with Tomcats now?

• Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

46 minutes ago, QuiGon said:

Hmm, will Hornets be able to use LINK 4 for fighter/fighter-DL with Tomcats now?

Link 4C (the F/F data link) was Tomcat exclusive, and only works within a flight of up to 4 aircraft.

However, Link 4A (which is what ACLS uses), should be able to be used as a one-way tactical data link, in exactly the same way as the Tomcat (so you have some host unit, be it a ship or AEW&C platform, which then data links information to units under its control).

See this.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

9 minutes ago, Northstar98 said:

Link 4C (the F/F data link) was Tomcat exclusive, and only works within a flight of up to 4 aircraft.

However, Link 4A (which is what ACLS uses), should be able to be used as a one-way tactical data link, in exactly the same way as the Tomcat (so you have some host unit, be it a ship or AEW&C platform, which then data links information to units under its control).

See this.

I didn't know Link 4C was Tomcat exclusive. Thanks!

• Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

12 hours ago, MARLAN_ said:

WithAFC270, D/L toggles between LINK 4 and LINK 16 and MIDS is turned on/off via TACAN or LINK 16.

2 hours ago, RED said:

In the real jet yes, it seems ambiguous if this is what will be implemented in DCS this coming patch. Hopefully it is!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1A100.png?format=1500w  

7 minutes ago, near_blind said:

If the ACLS is implementation is reliant upon the ATC call cadence, how is zip lip going to work?

I might be wrong, but I think ziplip is exclusive to case I, whereas ACLS and/or case III both require you to talk to someone multiple times during the approach and landing phase.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Yurgon said:

I might be wrong, but I think ziplip is exclusive to case I, whereas ACLS and/or case III both require you to talk to someone multiple times during the approach and landing phase.

As long as you get your commence time, all further communication is optional, or at least that’s what my Buddy who’s gone through CQ has said.

• Like 1

• ED Team

Dear all,

we apologize for any confusion the upcoming inclusion of ACLS to the Hornet may have caused. A primary reason for the development of DCS: Supercarrier was to provide the most realistic carrier operations ever done for a PC flight simulation. Key aspects of this include the new Link 4 datalink and Beacon systems specifically created for the Hornet (just recently completed) and the new ATC radio communication system.
While the ATC radio communications system will remain a unique feature of DCS: Supercarrier, we are investigating moving Link 4 datalink and Beacon (BCN) from SC to the free carrier. This would use the existing communications for the free carrier of simply messaging inbound. When we have more information on this, we look forward to updating you.

Thank you
Eagle Dynamics

• Like 4

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

18 hours ago, MARLAN_ said:

hEbWZzb.png

or this?

pcceAUz.png

I think it should switch between the two when you press D/L again. That's how it was described in NATOPS.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, BarTzi said:

I think it should switch between the two when you press D/L again. That's how it was described in NATOPS.

Yea that's right, my comment was referring to DCS only. Hopefully that's how they have it implemented!

• Like 1

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Another issue. I guess the message “10 SEC” on DDI and HUD 12.5 secs. before touchdown is not implemented yet.

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO WiFi AC / i7-8700K@5.0 GHz / 2xM.2 Toshiba OCZ RD400 1Tb / 4xCorsair 8Gb (32Gb) DDR4@3000 MHz / 2xGeforce GTX 1080 Ti + 1Geforce GTX 680 / SoundBlaster Fatal1ty / Windows 10 Home x64 / TM Warthog / TM TPR Pedals / Oculus Rift / Samsung UE32EH5000W