AIM-9s firing with Bombs?

Mikkall

Been awhile since I messed with the Viper.  But tonight, I set up with a couple Mk-84s & Rockets.  Set up to drop the the Mk-84s in CCIP as a "Pair".  Switched to  A-G, everything looked good and correct. When I hit the Weapon Release, the bombs came off, but so did a Sidewinder.  When I rolled back in to loose some rockets... the other sidewinder launched along with the Rockets.   Did the same thing with 12 Snakeyes loaded (along with 2 Sidewinders).... same thing, except this time, after dropping all 12 Snakeyes (AND) 1 sidewinder... the other missile never launched with the pickle button (had no other weapons).  Very odd

Glitch or am I missing something?

Make sure that when you enter the mission, your "Dogfight/Missile Override" switch is in center. It happened to me a couple of times before and i *think* this is the cause

Planes:                                      Choppers:                                       Maps:

• Flaming Cliffs 3                      Black Shark 2                                 Syria
  • A-10C Tank killer 2                Black Shark 3                                 Persian Gulf
  • F/A18C Hornet                       AH-64 Apache                               Mariana's
  • F-16C Viper   
  • F-15E Strike Eagle                   
  • Mirage 2000C
  • AJS-37 Viggen
  • JF-17 Thunder
  • F-14 Tomcat

• 2 months later...
Am 25.4.2022 um 13:37 schrieb Falconeer:

Make sure that when you enter the mission, your "Dogfight/Missile Override" switch is in center. It happened to me a couple of times before and i *think* this is the cause

Thanks for your comment. Some squadron mates and myself had this problem and came to the same conclusion.

This might be a bug, since i would expect the HUD and all other relevant systems to be in Override mode, too. But the HUD shows normal A/G symbology. Only the sidewinder seems to think it's in override. Shouldn't be a problem for pilots without 3-way-toggle switch.

Edited by Sile

• ED Team

Can not reproduce here. 

Check for double keybinds is my best guess. 

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

@BIGNEWY

if you have en throttle TM Warthog, you certainly map the Override (dogfight) switch on the boat switch of the throttle grip.

Before starting the mission put your dogfight overide switch into dogfight mode, and don't touch it anymore.

Do a traditional ramp start, go airborne and try to drop some mk82 in CCIP. When you push the release button the bomb drop and the AIM9 go away.

I can try to make a trk if you want.

• ED Team

Hi, 

yes have a warthog and use the boat switch but seems fine to me when I test. 

are you getting any jitter on the switch maybe?

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Holding down WR while transitioning in and out of dogfight must not fire an AIM-9. This was actually a problem in the real F-16 that holding WR after a bomb run and switching to dogfight would launch. This was fixed well before the DCS simulated variant.

I have had uncommanded AIM-9 launch in DCS Viper. In one case it was two missiles at once. I remember I took a really complicated path through modes and menus. It is my belief that somehow the selection of one missile had remained on while I had selected the other and so both went on pickle.

This isn't repro but for example pick AIM-9 in AA AAM station 9 then enter SMS S-J then DGFT picking station 1. By confusing the system with being in an SMS menu the normal selection/deselection logic may have been broken. Sadly I don't have this track file any more.

• Thanks 1

Am 11.7.2022 um 15:48 schrieb BIGNEWY:

Hi, 

yes have a warthog and use the boat switch but seems fine to me when I test. 

are you getting any jitter on the switch maybe?

DCS has this setting to match the aircraft situation to the switch position upon loading the aircraft. Sry can‘t remember its correct name and where it is atm. If this is checked and the boat switch is forward foe example because you flew the A10 the last time and used the FLIR (happens a lot to me with liberation) and you didn‘t reset the switch to TV the cold and dark F16 will start in partial Dogfight mode behind the scenes. It doesn‘t tell you though, if you choose A/G the HUD and MFD‘s behave normally. But the sidewinder will shoot. It‘s happened a couple of times to me now and I developed the habit to toggle all my thumb switches once when I use the Viper so it can reset. 

I don‘t know if this is a bug or correct behaviour with the F16 but it does happen in our version.

Edited by Ephedrin
  • Like 1

vor 12 Stunden schrieb Ephedrin:

DCS has this setting to match the aircraft situation to the switch position upon loading the aircraft. Sry can‘t remember its correct name and where it is atm. If this is checked and the boat switch is forward foe example because you flew the A10 the last time and used the FLIR (happens a lot to me with liberation) and you didn‘t reset the switch to TV the cold and dark F16 will start in partial Dogfight mode behind the scenes. It doesn‘t tell you though, if you choose A/G the HUD and MFD‘s behave normally. But the sidewinder will shoot. It‘s happened a couple of times to me now and I developed the habit to toggle all my thumb switches once when I use the Viper so it can reset. 

I don‘t know if this is a bug or correct behaviour with the F16 but it does happen in our version.

Very helpful post, thank you. The setting is called "Synchronize Cockpit Controls with HOTAS Controls at Mission Start - located in the "Misc." tab.

Maybe now the bug can be reproduced by ED.

• Like 1