IPD and World Scale

dokken1212

Hi everyone

I have done a bit of searching and reading but what I havent been able to work out is if I increase the size of my cockpit via IPD, should the World Scale also increase?

I have found that when I went into the cockpit it was fit for a 5-year-old 🙂 and once I adjusted the IPD and went to external view my FA18 was the size of a jumbo jet as low flying made it like 10 times the size of a block of flats (apartments).

Dont know if this is just the way it is, or if there is something I am not doing correctly?

Many thanks

Computer Specs:

AMD Ryzen 9 3900x

Thermaltake 360 AIO Water Cooler

32GB Corsair Vengeance 3600Mhz RGB RAM

GeForce RTX 2080 Super [ NVIDIA]

512GB Adata M2 NVME (boot drive)

1TB Adata M2 NVME

1TB WD Blue SSD

Corsair RM850x Power Supply

Phanteks Enthoo Evolve Case

Samsung 43" 4K Smart TV (used as monitor)

TRACK IR 5 + Wireless DelanClip Head Tracker

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

:pilotfly::pilotfly::pilotfly::pilotfly::pilotfly::pilotfly::pilotfly:

It affects everything to some extent. The IPD setting in DCS does not really change the scale of the world, but your perception of it, by moving your virtual eyes further apart. 

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

5 hours ago, dokken1212 said:

Hi everyone

I have done a bit of searching and reading but what I havent been able to work out is if I increase the size of my cockpit via IPD, should the World Scale also increase?

I have found that when I went into the cockpit it was fit for a 5-year-old 🙂 and once I adjusted the IPD and went to external view my FA18 was the size of a jumbo jet as low flying made it like 10 times the size of a block of flats (apartments).

Dont know if this is just the way it is, or if there is something I am not doing correctly?

Many thanks

IPD in DCS adjusts separation of left and right "in-game" camera.  So if you INCREASE the separation, then you're basically making your "in-game" head bigger.  Bigger the head, bigger the separation between eyes.  Which in relation, you're making the world smaller.  Imagine if you suddenly became a giant in real world, everything would seem small.  And vice versa.

But this will only affect things close to you.  A car would seem a lot bigger to a 5 year old than to an adult.  But a distant mountain would seem about the same size whether you're 5 year old or an adult.

Edited by Taz1004
  • Like 1

Taz1004 - thank you very much for that explanation. That actually makes it very clear to me as to what IPD is and the issues I am having with it. Therefore, the bigger I am 'in-game' the smaller things may be. Makes perfect sense. I guess, my next question would be - then how do we adjust our aircraft to 'fit' us in VR? When I went into DCS my cockpit was tiny - therefore is there a way to increase 'World Size' so that my cockpit is larger and the 'world' also remains relative in size?

Nodak - I find that also - the larger I go the less 'shimmery' things are

All the best guys

Edited by dokken1212

Computer Specs:

AMD Ryzen 9 3900x

Thermaltake 360 AIO Water Cooler

32GB Corsair Vengeance 3600Mhz RGB RAM

GeForce RTX 2080 Super [ NVIDIA]

512GB Adata M2 NVME (boot drive)

1TB Adata M2 NVME

1TB WD Blue SSD

Corsair RM850x Power Supply

Phanteks Enthoo Evolve Case

Samsung 43" 4K Smart TV (used as monitor)

TRACK IR 5 + Wireless DelanClip Head Tracker

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

:pilotfly::pilotfly::pilotfly::pilotfly::pilotfly::pilotfly::pilotfly:

On 4/26/2022 at 7:47 PM, dokken1212 said:

When I went into DCS my cockpit was tiny - therefore is there a way to increase 'World Size' so that my cockpit is larger and the 'world' also remains relative in size?

decrease IPD

the terrain always feels the same size as its beyond the convergence depth perception of your eyes

DCS Web Editor - New 3D Mission Editor for DCS that runs in your browser

DCS Web Viewer free browser based mission planner / viewer

dcs web editor new(2).png
4090 RTX, 13700KF, water cooled

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2022 at 7:49 AM, Topo said:

You can try to match simulated VR stick and seat with the real counterparts.

Better yet,  try to match the pilot body to your real counterparts limbs. It makes the pit snug and fit like a tailored suit.

If find this method more natural than trying to guess the stick, seat and gauges proper size.

Do you have to restart after adjusting?

I've always left the IPD at what it was and is about my real IPD - 68 (real IPD 68.5mm). I did try adjusting the IPD after reading similar threads to this one, but didn't see a big difference and they seemed about right until yesterday when I flew the F-15C and found it impossible to get my head anywhere near the canopy. First I was trying to find the bandits, but then when I realised how much space there was I did my best to try and 'touch' the canopy any way possible with my helmet - except it was not possible. Tried to see from photo's if that was accurate, but it can be really hard to tell.

The A-10s seem okay, but still not sure. In civvy sims I watch videos shot from the cockpit and see how much pilots are having to reach controls and buttons so I can set it right in VR - but it's a lot harder to do it that way for single seat military aircraft..

Edited by Johnny Dioxin

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

11 hours ago, pixie said:

Better yet,  try to match the pilot body to your real counterparts limbs. It makes the pit snug and fit like a tailored suit.

If find this method more natural than trying to guess the stick, seat and gauges proper size.

Yes you are right, but not all moudule have the pilot body (yet).