High consumption of RAM memory

Frogfoot250

On 2/1/2021 at 11:49 PM, statrekmike said:

Can we get a official word on this issue? The Syria map's performance doesn't really match up with the rest of DCS's maps and while I can appreciate that it has more details, I also can't help but feel that it really should run better. Has there been any significant progress in this department internally? 

+1

Are there any DEVs reading this topic? I think we are screaming to deaf ears.

Edited by Jara4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jara4 said:

+1

Are there any DEVs reading this topic? I think we are screaming to deaf ears.

No. Stolen from another topic: "Urgra is a small team and are not English speakers" as per BN. So you'll have to ping ED to convey the message as they monitor it for them. Improvements expected with the release of 2.7 also.

• 1 month later...

I’ve noticed a huge difference on this map compared to PG and Caucasus. When I fly on this map my 32gb of ram is maxed out and so is my 1tb SSD. Still playable but not 100% smooth. When I fly on the other 2 maps I mentioned, my ram usage is halved and I’m using a fraction of my SSD. When will this map be tweaked for better performance?

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

None playable uninstalled . Shame looks good . 

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

• 2 months later...

Flew a mission on multiplayer server today running 2.7.6.13436. I have 32GB of RAM, and the mission loaded with 95% of my RAM being used. I'm going to try reducing the preload radius to see if it helps, but it appears that only the Syria map has this problem with excessive RAM usage. I don't get near this amount of RAM usage on the other maps.

• Like 1

i7-8700k OC to 5.1GHz, Sound BlasterX AE-5, Creative Sound BlasterX H7 Tournament Edition, Asus ROG Maximus X Code

Corsair Dominator DDR4 32GB 3200MHz, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid, Acer Predator XB271HU WQHD IPS Monitor, Logitech G510S, Anker 8000DPI Gaming Mouse, HOTAS Warthog, Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals, Track IR 5, Windows 10 Professional, https://www.youtube.com/c/iflyflightsims

On 10/1/2021 at 11:36 PM, SignorMagnifico said:

Flew a mission on multiplayer server today running 2.7.6.13436. I have 32GB of RAM, and the mission loaded with 95% of my RAM being used. I'm going to try reducing the preload radius to see if it helps, but it appears that only the Syria map has this problem with excessive RAM usage. I don't get near this amount of RAM usage on the other maps.

Still getting 99% usage with preload radius set below 50%. Only happens on the Syria map.

i7-8700k OC to 5.1GHz, Sound BlasterX AE-5, Creative Sound BlasterX H7 Tournament Edition, Asus ROG Maximus X Code

Corsair Dominator DDR4 32GB 3200MHz, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid, Acer Predator XB271HU WQHD IPS Monitor, Logitech G510S, Anker 8000DPI Gaming Mouse, HOTAS Warthog, Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals, Track IR 5, Windows 10 Professional, https://www.youtube.com/c/iflyflightsims

• 2 weeks later...

I would really love to use this map but because of the memory consumption, I just can't!!!

Maxes out my 16gb and I get crashes if I spend too long in the ME setting up missions here. I just stopped using it. I check in here periodically to see if there is an update or fix but I never seem to see any new info!! 

Does anyone know what's going on with this map? Its the only one that gives me trouble.

I don't own the Channel Map, but I own all the others and they all work great!! 

Any update or insights would be much appreciated!!! thx

• Like 1

I7 4790k EVGA 1080ti FTW 16gb Corsair Dominator Acer Predator 2k 165hz Thrustmaster Pedals & Warthog TrackIr5

12 hours ago, erick said:

I would really love to use this map but because of the memory consumption, I just can't!!!

Maxes out my 16gb and I get crashes if I spend too long in the ME setting up missions here. I just stopped using it. I check in here periodically to see if there is an update or fix but I never seem to see any new info!! 

Does anyone know what's going on with this map? Its the only one that gives me trouble.

I don't own the Channel Map, but I own all the others and they all work great!! 

Any update or insights would be much appreciated!!! thx

I feel and share your frustration. The main trouble is that Ugra is a tiny team.

Imho, considering the total lack of updates/bug fixes and communication, ED should be more strict in restrictions and expectations towards 3rd party devs, to insure proper DLC product support.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Syria map and even dare to say it's my favorite DCS map. Also I'm sure Ugra is doing its very best, but yeah... Take for instance this very crucial bug.. It was first reported August 2019!

Every open beta update I'm scrolling through the patch notes searching for Syria updates, but unfortunately 9/10 times I get disappointed. @BIGNEWYPerhaps you could share a bit more than the general "we can share news as soon as there is something to share"?

• Like 3

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

• ED Team
12 minutes ago, sirrah said:

Every open beta update I'm scrolling through the patch notes searching for Syria updates, but unfortunately 9/10 times I get disappointed. @BIGNEWYPerhaps you could share a bit more than the general "we can share news as soon as there is something to share"?

I can bump reports internally, pass on feedback, but if there is no news to share I have two choices, tell you I have nothing to share currently or be silent. It seems I can not win 🙂

Personally I am not seeing any issue currently but my system is a high end one. 

• Like 3

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

18 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

I can bump reports internally, pass on feedback, but if there is no news to share I have two choices, tell you I have nothing to share currently or be silent. It seems I can not win 🙂

Although I do understand the position you are in, for an issue as pressing as this one, an occasional "Ugra is still looking into this, but the problem turned out very complex. We're sorry for the inconvenience and we're doing everything possible to solve this issue a.s.a.p." would be more satisfying then utter silence. 

I know you guys are very busy and please realize that my (our) concerns originate out of pure love for this great sim, but well.. if I'm not mistaking, the last official feedback that was shared by @NineLine on this problem dates 14 months ago. We are just very curious about progression.

• Like 6

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Well, the map looks nice but its performance is poor.  Too bad, as I was thinking of a new Hornet campaign for this map released today, but I think not.

Edited by Steel Jaw
  • Like 1

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

Apache and Syria map 

F16 and Syria map 

Hind and Syria map  

But Syria map broken for 70 -80% of people with 8gb VRAM . 

Only high end computers have no issues . 

When Is this map going to get a fix . 

• Like 1

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

Low FPS High ram usage.. What can we do for fly smoot in this map? I dont wanna fly like a tetris graphics.. Optimization is really weird I think and they have to fix it.

Edited by anatolianwolf
  • Like 1

i9-9900K, 32GB 3200Mhz DDR4,Asus Rog Strix 3080 10GB, TM Hotas Cougar with Vipergear VFS-WE Mod, TM MFD Cougar, TM Warthog Base with F-16 Stick.

F-16C, F-14A/B, Syria Map, Supercarrier, Persian Gulf, Nevada.

Did some testing today .

Turn all shadows off .

Texture to Medium

Ground texture too Low .

No MSAA .

No Anti AA .

NVIDIA AA x 2 and X8 enhanced .

use FXAA - on

Smooth game play on Rotorheads server .

But looks awful .

MAP loads with all VRAM used no matter what settings .

If have over 8GB Vram then happy smooth play .

MAP needs a  fix . Some thing not right . ?

All maps I use 16GB of ram .

This 32GB or 28GB .

On 4/4/2022 at 5:44 PM, dg6546 said:

After the hot fix it is unplayable now. I have got 32GBs of RAM, whenever I load into syria map it will consume all 32GBs of ram from my computer and started stuttering.

Was there a HOT fix . ? for this map .

On 10/19/2021 at 11:40 AM, BIGNEWY said:

Of course your not seeing any issues . I think you have a 3090 . lol Yes .

Edited by KoN

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

A couple of thoughts:

- DCS will seemingly always "allocate" VRAM when available.  That's NOT the same as actually using it.  As I'm unaware of how we could measure it, frankly it doesn't matter

- The Syria map does use a lot of RAM.  Had you consider that it's a GOOD thing.  After all, if DCS has loaded lots of the textures into RAM, then it's not going off to your SSD or HDD to pull those files, so it should actually be faster (assuming that you have a system with a lot of RAM)

Bear in mind how much we pay for GPUs, HOTAS and DCS modules, just stick some additional RAM in.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

• BIGNEWY changed the title to High consumption of RAM memory
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi there!

I just bought the Syria map, and I absolutely love it. I've got 32GB RAM, and so far, I've only created simple SP missions in the F/A-18 and F-16. FPS are really good (not too different from the performance I get in the Persian Gulf), but I just recognised, that upon initial load, the memory usage reaches 99%. After a few moments, it eventually settles at around 70% (swapping files to the Page File?). Is that a normal behaviour? 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Greets,

Michael

25 minutes ago, Mik75 said:

Hi there!

I just bought the Syria map, and I absolutely love it. I've got 32GB RAM, and so far, I've only created simple SP missions in the F/A-18 and F-16. FPS are really good (not too different from the performance I get in the Persian Gulf), but I just recognised, that upon initial load, the memory usage reaches 99%. After a few moments, it eventually settles at around 70% (swapping files to the Page File?). Is that a normal behaviour? 

Simple answer, yes. Discussed in great lengths on this subforum.

https://forum.dcs.world/search/?q=RAM&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=342

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, quick question. Has anyone experience with Syria on a 16GB system?
I tested the map on my system two (?) years ago at the pandemic free to play event and it was fine for doing a sightseeing flight but for anything more it struggled with ram.
Has there been optimizations since then? I would not expect "proper" missions to run well, but very light mission with a handful of aircraft would be nice.
Any experience anyone?

Thanks.

nope i have 64gb and still run textures for apache and hind at medium with 64gb i can get away with terrain textures at high, with 32 was a no go in vr

• Thanks 1

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

11 hours ago, twistking said:

Has there been optimizations since then?

It's hard to say if they hadn't optimized it at all, or the newly added locations outweighed all their optimization efforts.

To me it runs about the same on 32Gb now as it ran on 16Gb pre-Cyprus (i.e. barely).

I honestly cannot imagine using the current version with 16Gb.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dima | My DCS uploads