High consumption of RAM memory

Frogfoot250

This runs flawless with old 16gb ram and 32gb virtual memory, old i5 and 3080. Everything ultra settings at 4K. I suggest the 14 day trial before buying, so you can check if your system can make it or not.

Edited by KCOOL

• 1 month later...

Is this still being looked at?

I personally have 32GB of ram and find that from time to time my rig really struggles on this map however I also fly with users who have 64GB of RAM who also complain of the same stuttering struggles I have.

I appreciate that its not an easy fix but getting this map to perform as well as others in DCS would be a huge win for the community as many people just simply can't take part in MP events and servers running this map due to the high memory usage / memory leak that goes on in it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

104th Phoenix Wing Commander / Total Poser / Elitist / Hero / Chad

• ED Team

Hi Mav, I have asked the team to check with Ugra media about the status of this report. 

• Thanks 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I think I might be one of the 64GB people Mav was referring to.  Attached is a screen grab of my resource monitor just before DCS stopped responding.

My specs are in the sig.  Similar missions on PG map has about 34GB used.

Syria RAM.png

Edited by Specter
  • Like 1

i7-10700K @ 5Ghz | Asus Z490 Tuf Pro Gaming | RTX 3090 | 64 Gb RAM @3.6Ghz | 1TB Samsung 970 EVO+ SSD | 1TB addlink S70 M.2 SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | 4TB HDD | Reverb G2 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals | Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

• 2 weeks later...

Don't they have their own testers at Ed?

Minimum system requirements (LOW graphics settings): OS 64-bit Windows 10; DirectX11; CPU: Intel Core i3 at 2.8 GHz or AMD FX; RAM: 8 GB (16 GB for heavy missions); Free hard disk space: 60 GB; Discrete video card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 / AMD R9 280X or better; requires internet activation.

Recommended system requirements (HIGH graphics settings): OS 64-bit Windows 10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i5+ at 3+ GHz or AMD FX / Ryzen; RAM: 16 GB (32 GB for heavy missions); Free hard disk space: 120 GB on Solid State Drive (SSD); Discrete video card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 / AMD Radeon RX VEGA 56 with 8GB VRAM or better; Joystick; requires internet activation.

Recommended VR systems requirements (VR graphics settings): OS 64-bit Windows 10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i5+ at 3+ GHz or AMD FX / Ryzen; RAM: 16 GB (32 GB for heavy missions); Free hard disk space: 120 GB on Solid State Drive (SSD); Discrete video card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 / AMD Radeon RX VEGA 64 or better; Joystick; requires internet activation.

Something doesn't work there  i fly in mp with 55 Gb and in Sp with 40 Gb !. 

i9-11900K, alle Kerne 5100 MHz  –  Asus ROG Maximus XIII Extreme – 64 GB DDR4 3733 MHz Cl17 – NVIDIA Rtx Asus Strix Oc 2080 super (4090 später 🕹️) – Hotas Warthog mit Drossel – Vpc Mongoos T50CM2 & Vpc 200 mm Verlängerung – Vpc ACE Sammlung Pedale -Trackir5

The thing with RAM is: Computers tend to use what´s available. Just because the RAM is filled up with 55 GB, doesn´t mean it NEEDS 55 GB.

It´s a bit like with the fuel tank of a car. If you have a smaller tank, it doesn´t mean the car is going slower, it just means you have to stop more often to refuel.
And that´s exactly what the computer does: It has to stop to get more data from the HDD/SSD. Ideally, with faster SSDs, you won´t even notice those stops.

Also, I would be happy to see my computer using up all my RAM. Imagine buying 64 GB of RAM and the computer never using more than 20 GB or so...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

RAM optimization is not good............................................🤢

i9-11900K, alle Kerne 5100 MHz  –  Asus ROG Maximus XIII Extreme – 64 GB DDR4 3733 MHz Cl17 – NVIDIA Rtx Asus Strix Oc 2080 super (4090 später 🕹️) – Hotas Warthog mit Drossel – Vpc Mongoos T50CM2 & Vpc 200 mm Verlängerung – Vpc ACE Sammlung Pedale -Trackir5

Same issue, after a hour or 2 my DCS just crashes to desktop and I have 32GB RAM + 32GB Pagefile set on a SSD with more then 100GB available space.

errors indicate it just ran out of memory to use.

Edited by HunterICX

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Can Ugra Media optimize the map? I have the same problems and I cannot finish the Single Player/Multi Player Campaign and Missions.

Thank you

http://104thphoenix.com/ "Failure Is Not An Option" - Online Combat Simulation Since 1997

www.youtube.com/user/AntonioGR201 www.twitch.tv/104th_Tiger www.facebook.com/TIGER.GR.Tiger/

Discord: 104th_Tiger#1883

It is important to have a decent virtual memory budget. The game does not actually need 30GB in RAM to run the mission, it appears to preload the entiere map but only needs the data for the local area.

So to avoid running out of memory, rather than having more than 16GB RAM, make sure your pagefile size is set to ~32GB.

I had frequent crashes even with 32GB RAM because I ran out of memory, but increasing my virtual memory budget to 32GB fixed them and improved the performance.

Edited by J-man

On 5/15/2022 at 7:40 PM, twistking said:

thanks to both of you. i was already suspecting that 16gb might not cut it. i guess i'll wait wth buying until i get a new pc...

HI.

I have only a 16 GB of physical RAM, and some missions where not able to initialize ("through the inferno i.e.) I did upsized the page file in wind 10 so the total was 32 GB and that did the trick. Obviously, with an SSD for the page file.

Saludos.

Saca111

Edited by Sacarino111

I picked up the Syria map, it's beautiful. I have been to some of the places on the map.

I have only one issue is it normal for system memory to start at 16gb use to well north of 32gb and keep going? To a point where the game will chuge until it crashes. This only happens on the Syria map. Any other map tops out at 25gb.

I'm think there is a problem with a memory leak?

• Like 1

I have a graphics preset specifically for the Syria map. In single player it runs ok so long as there isn't many AI units.

Multiplayer is another story. It never runs smooth, ever. No matter how many or few AI units, it stutters constantly and has led to several hard freezes (those do not generate crash reports). And this is with my settings set low. I don't dare use my normal settings that I can use for every other map that I have (Caucasus, Marianas, The Channel, Persian Gulf), as that makes it even worse. My PC has 32GB RAM and a 32GB pagefile.

I'm at the point where I'm about to uninstall the map to free up drive space because of how awful it runs. Which really sucks because the map looks great.

EDIT: Just so no one is mislead, this was on my old PC (MSI 990 FXA, AMD FX-8120, 32 GB DDR3 RAM). My new PC (specs below) handles this map far better, both in single thread and multi thread.

Edited by Diesel_Thunder
  • Thanks 1

PC: MSI X670E, Ryzen 9 7900X, 64GB DDR5 RAM, RTX 3090 Ti, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight pedals, Opentrack

Link to my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/DieselThunderAviation

Commander, 62nd Virtual Fighter Squadron

Join the 62nd VFS today! Link to our discord server: https://discord.gg/Z25BSKk84s

Patch_v1.2 small.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There have only been 2 purchases I regretted - this map is one of them (the other had wings and rhymed with Gawk). Only flown about 5 times since purchase about two months after its initial release. Each time a slideshow. 

Such a shame.

• Like 1

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

• 1 month later...
On 2/17/2023 at 8:20 AM, G.J.S said:

There have only been 2 purchases I regretted - this map is one of them (the other had wings and rhymed with Gawk). Only flown about 5 times since purchase about two months after its initial release. Each time a slideshow. 

Such a shame.

Are there any news about the developer optimizing Syria? Many people would think about purchasing if better VR performance....

I love this map, but man this needs urgently VR optimization...

I can not understand how this remains the same while some members here are creating mods for free, as a token of appreciation to the community, to improve performance of maps and other things. Thanks to them for their work.

Edited by KCOOL