Flying from the CP/G

Tshark

I have been flying the Apache from the CP/G seat.  I use a modifier to switch my HOTAS axis from TADS control to flight, but I cannot seem to get the force trim to work in the CP/G seat.  The bindings are set the same as in the pilot seat, which works without a problem.  Anybody else get this working?

i9 10900KF 3.70GHz (5.30GHz Turbo), MSI RTX 4090 OC 24GB, ASUS Z590-E GAMING Motherboard, CORSAIR Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, 2TB Intel 660P M.2 NVMe SSD, Virpil Alpha Joystick, T-50CM3 Throttle, MFG Xwind rudder pedals, Pimax Crystal VR.

1 hour ago, Tshark said:

I have been flying the Apache from the CP/G seat.  I use a modifier to switch my HOTAS axis from TADS control to flight, but I cannot seem to get the force trim to work in the CP/G seat.  The bindings are set the same as in the pilot seat, which works without a problem.  Anybody else get this working?

So I know I personally ran into issues where I thought I bound things in the front seat and actually bound or re bound them for the backseat. 

The other thing I think I can think of is verify that your force trim release / u is bound appropriately with your modifier.  I just tried it out and it was working appropriately for me after I took the controls. I hope this helps, good luck. 

Thanks for the reply.  I just wanted to make sure the feature is available in the CP/G seat before I spent too much time troubleshooting.  I will check on the force trim release.

i9 10900KF 3.70GHz (5.30GHz Turbo), MSI RTX 4090 OC 24GB, ASUS Z590-E GAMING Motherboard, CORSAIR Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, 2TB Intel 660P M.2 NVMe SSD, Virpil Alpha Joystick, T-50CM3 Throttle, MFG Xwind rudder pedals, Pimax Crystal VR.

I wish I could figure out a simple way to be able to fly from the front seat and then use the same controller to switch to the TEDAC as I have George start to fly. Can you give me some insight into how you accomplish this OP?

Sager Laptop, i7-6700k 4.00GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX 980M, 1920x1080, TIR 5, Windows 10

19 hours ago, Tshark said:

Thanks for the reply.  I just wanted to make sure the feature is available in the CP/G seat before I spent too much time troubleshooting.  I will check on the force trim release.

Works fine on my side. It's quite fun if actually if you're the CPG, flying multicrew with a FFB stick equipped pilot, because when you as the CPG change the trim of the aircraft the physical FFB stick of the pilot player makes a sudden jump. That's great to wake him up if he snooozed away... #truestory

9 hours ago, monkie said:

I wish I could figure out a simple way to be able to fly from the front seat and then use the same controller to switch to the TEDAC as I have George start to fly. Can you give me some insight into how you accomplish this OP?

For the front seat I use my stick as the cyclic and mapped a modifier (the paddle switch on my TM Warthog Stick) so I can keep it pressed and then use the stick to control the TADS. Works quite well actually. You just need to make sure that you also map the laser trigger to the modifier as well (and maybe some other things), so you can use it at the same time while slewing the TADS.

Edited by QuiGon
  • Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

That is how I've seen the paddle used for other aircraft as well and that works great but I need a solution where the controller I'm using is completely remapped with a button press on the keyboard. It would require DCS to recognize the controller as 2 separate pieces of hardware, not sure that is possible. Thanks for sharing your info, I might have to think a bit harder on the modifier angle.

Sager Laptop, i7-6700k 4.00GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX 980M, 1920x1080, TIR 5, Windows 10

1 hour ago, monkie said:

That is how I've seen the paddle used for other aircraft as well and that works great but I need a solution where the controller I'm using is completely remapped with a button press on the keyboard. It would require DCS to recognize the controller as 2 separate pieces of hardware, not sure that is possible. Thanks for sharing your info, I might have to think a bit harder on the modifier angle.

Not possible.

3 hours ago, QuiGon said:

For the front seat I use my stick as the cyclic and mapped a modifier (the paddle switch on my TM Warthog Stick) so I can keep it pressed and then use the stick to control the TADS. Works quite well actually. You just need to make sure that you also map the laser trigger to the modifier as well (and maybe some other things), so you can use it at the same time while slewing the TADS.

To make life easier you can configure modifier button as switch, so - 1 press and it changes functions, 1 press and it switches off.

Second option is using some of the on-off switches on WH throttle as modifier to turn off/on modifier.

13 minutes ago, Foka said:

Not possible.

I wonder if I use two of the same game pad controllers if DCS will recognize them as separate controllers. 

29 minutes ago, monkie said:

I wonder if I use two of the same game pad controllers if DCS will recognize them as separate controllers. 

Yes, because it's not matter od DCS, but system. DCS takes list of controllers from system. And system recognize each USB device separately. I have 3 TM Coguar MFD frams and each of them is separate device.

2 hours ago, monkie said:

I need a solution where the controller I'm using is completely remapped with a button press on the keyboard

Look at Joystick Gremlin (JG) as a software solution outside of DCS.  This is very possible.

You would create two virtual joysticks and then use JG to map various buttons and axis to VJoy1 for flying, and switching to a different "mode" with JG you can map the same physical controls to VJoy2 for controlling the TEDAC.  In DCS your physical controller will still show up, and you will see 2 new columns for the virtual joysticks VJoy1 and VJoy2.

Switching between the modes can be done with buttons on the controller itself, or a keyboard press, and JG keeps track of what mode you're in, so you don't need to use modifiers on the DCS side.

Edited by Floyd1212

And to expand on what Floyd said, you can create as many modes as you want/need, so you can have different responses for the same in game control. 

And you can also set mode switching via short/long/double press, so if you get confused what mode you are currently in, just return to your default mode via set press.

What I did was configure my default HOTAS axis to control TADS, etc.  I mapped a momentary toggle on my throttle to unfold the cyclic (the "c" key on the keyboard).  I have a toggle switch on my throttle mapped as a modifier and for flight bound my axis controls with the modifier. 

So to take control from the CP/G I open a switch guard and flip the toggle.  The cyclic unfolds.  I then flip the modifier toggle and my axis now control the aircraft flight.