Laser guided munitions problems, new players

OldIronsides

So, for anyone newer using laser guided bombs, if you run into issues after your first successful bomb dropped, make sure your laser is turned back on! I have read a few threads here with some thinking there was a bug and said first bomb was successful, everything else after missed. Happened to me as well, until I noticed the laser turns to the off position after a bomb is dropped each time. 

26.04.2022 в 16:12, Foka сказал:

According to some experts that feature was needed with older TGPs, where it was easy to overheat laser.

It was easy to overheat even when not lasing, but only armed the laser?

Верните короновирус в качестве главной проблемы, спать в маске буду, обещаю.

Скрытый текст

Hardware: AMD 5900x, 64Gb RAM@3200MHz, NVidia RTX3070 8Gb, Monitor 3440x1440(21:9), Samsung 980pro 1Tb NVMe SSD, VKB Gunfighter+MCGU, Virpil Throttle CM3, VKB T-Rudder, TrackIR.

Haha, yeah, this "feature" would make me bring my ducktape and a rubberband to the LTD/Rswitch if I was a real Hornet pilot... drives me mad!

4 hours ago, Blackfyre said:

It was easy to overheat even when not lasing, but only armed the laser?

Very good question. Spontaneously I would guess "no". 😄

On 4/26/2022 at 2:32 AM, Digitalvole said:

I assume this feature was added when they had “bring your granny to work” day at the factory. All the grannies agreed it was a a dreadful waste of electricity to leave it on. 😉

The old Nite Hawk pods had a tendency to burn out the laser if it was fired too long. Apparently building a safety switch linked to bomb fall time into the pod itself wasn't an option, so the aircraft was modified to safe the laser a few seconds after TTI hit zero. When Nite Hawk was replaced with ATFLIR this feature was retained, though I don't think it's needed. 

• Like 2