A list of modules to make WW2 complete-ish

Licenceless

This is a list of all aircraft which had major involvement in ww2 which ED still has to make,
i tried including birds/models according to different battles/periods and excluding some birds/models
if they are too similar and some later models would fit for early ones or vise versa, i do this to make the dream of
a complete pereod accurate-ish theatre all of us DCS WW2 fans want a bit closer to reality, just so we can dream on.

If you have anything to add to the list or modify it everyone is welcome, lets make a perfect checklist for Nick to stick on a fridge so he can keep track of modules to add to DCS (although i don't think he has a big enough of a refrigerator 😄 in total it's somewhere between 37 and 41 modules to make which makes me really sad though, cuz i know ED makes good stuff but they take ages, especially when it comes to ww2)

I'M NOT AN EXPERT, i'm not a history buff or very knowledgeable on particularities of different birds,
most stuff i know about ww2 comes from DCS and IL2, and thus i only know how to operate some DCS birds
and maybe some extra details about them, also some general ww2 aviation stuff but nothing else, so it's
just me guessing what would be the best way for ED to give us the most possible while doing the least possible.

British

• Spit MkI (MkI and MkII in my opinion are only important for Battle of Britain and since both were in it i chose the later one)
  • MkV (important version also it was leased to soviets so good future thinking if ED will ever think of making easter front)
  • Hurricane (Duh)
  • Typhoon (Very late war fighter)  

German

• BF109 E3/4 (A needed option as both BoB and just an early 109)
  • G6 ( good for mid and late war with MW50 mod)
  • 262 (DUH)
  • MC.202 (Very famous italian bird on the german side in early war)
  • Stuka (Obviously)

US

• F6F (F4F isn't really needed since F6F entered service in 42 and we know ED is making it)
  • P38 (L is a must but some earlier options are needed too if possible) 
  • A20 (US needs a light twin engine attack plane since everyone elese has one and this one was extensively used and also leased to russians)
  • TBF Avenger (obvious choice, good for multicrew gunner)

Japanese

• Mitsubishi A6M (I think Zero will be the first Japanese bird they gonna make, good for the entire war period)
  • G4M (Japan needs a light torpedo bomber, i think it should suffice for the entire war period)
  • B5N (counterpart to the Avenger, good torpedo bomber with multicrew gunner)(I really don't know much about japanese warbirds so maybe you can help with it)

Soviets

(optional, i think it's one of the last things on ED's wishlist and we shouldn't even imagine having it but since i16 is in i have an excuse to tigh in eastern front)

• Yak 1 (we need at least one early war fighter)
  • La 5FN (one late war fighter)
  • P39 (You can't get away without putting this in, too many russian aces flew it)
  • IL2 (Obviously)

Alternatively Soviets

As per Rudel_chw 's suggestion

It would be easier for ED to make soviet counter parts to existing German birds (109K, 190D9 & 190A8), either a Yak-3 or a La-7.

This of course only if they start working on russian theatre now, but i think it's gonna be the last thing they do, so they are gonna make BoB first, and will definetly make some earlier german stuff a for early russian stuff.

Also we needsome big ass pacific western and estern europe maps, splitting them into noeighbouring chunks wouldn't make much sense, and they know it since it looks like they are uniting normandy and channel maps. Pacific although the biggest might be the easiest to make since it's just water and very little land, although it's gonna be huge.

The list has been reduced drastically, now it looks very bad but if they pumped out 2 per year, in 10 years we would be done.

Birds that have been taken out or replaced:

Spitfire mkXIV (We don't need a later war spit, mkIX is enough and instead of having another slightly different/faster spit (ik it's griffin but still) Typhoon should be enough for late war)

Tempest (We don't need another earlier war fighter, early Spits are enough)

Lancaster (Mosssie will have to be enough)

109E7 (replaced by E3/4 as more accurate to the period as suggested by Ala13_ManOWar)

109F4(not sure if it was right taking it out since now G6 has to fill a huge gap)

BF110 (we already have a twin engine bomber and i know it's not the same thing but we gotta cut those numbers so it has to go)

HE111(same as BF110)

WF190A5 (A8 should be ok from 42 and on, early war will just have E3/4 and stukas)

P51C/B (we have a late war one and just cutting losses, mid war will have spit mkIX to fight with)

PBY (Is cool but gimmiky and a bit useless)

P47 B/C razorback (we will do with late war one for now or just won't do at all)

P40 (Kinda useless for pacific and in general)

Ki 43 and 84 (these two were suppost to accompany zero one in early one in late war, but we're cutting costs so they go)

Yak7b ( we will just use LA5 from mid to late and yak one from early to mid)

Pe2 (loses to IL2 as a ground attacker in popularity)

MiG3 and Lagg3 (Replaced by yak 1 for the most part)

Edited by Licenceless
suggested edits
  • Like 4

Please, I know you explained you aren't expert on the subject and everything, but Mk.I, II, V, XIV, etc… my eyes bleed with those "numbers" 🤣 .

Nice wishlist, a lot to comment on it, but too much to comment right now, sorry 😅.

BTW Nick Grey already said BoB stuff is happening, no dates, but you know, "it's not if, it's when". Hence, Mk.I, E-3/4 (7 is a too late model, don't fall for stupid marketing decisions in other titles 😉 ), Hurricane I, will eventually come to DCS. At least I hope so.

• Like 3

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Even since the acceleration of DCS WW2 development we have seen approx. 1x WW2 flyable model per year, even if you take the most likely candidates you're looking at 31 years for that list!

Plus I can guarantee there is insufficient data out there to model a great deal of those to DCS standards; where possible they like to have a real flyable equivalent to get reliable feedback from pilots on handling characteristics, and if not, a veteran with exceptional presence of mind and recall (exceptionally rare) to provide the same . This requirement alone immediately excludes a lot of those you ask for.

Then there's wind tunnel test data, or even just basic data on the aerofoil shapes; not just of the wings but the propellers too; even the Western nations where stuff was generally very well documented, there are gaps, even in the popular types, particularly the German aircraft where a lot of documentation was destroyed or lost. Japan? There's a reason that not many modern high fidelity simulators have a WW2 Japanese type flyable currently.

If I were you, I would mange my expectations somewhat.. 😉

• Like 2

Then there’s the question of addition variants of existing modules - Spitfire I, V, Seafire, 109 E, F, G, for example…

or entirely new modules that bring a different angle to DCS (as the Mosquito has)

I’d love to see the Spitfire V / 109F matched up in DCS, or a Mosquito B.IV / IX…. 
But a P-38, Beaufighter TF.X, or dare I say an Me-262 would do more to expand the existing experience

as would a CVE with a squadron of F4F and TBM / TBF

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ala13_ManOWar said:

Please, I know you explained you aren't expert on the subject and everything, but Mk.I, II, V, XIV, etc… my eyes bleed with those "numbers" 🤣 .

Nice wishlist, a lot to comment on it, but too much to comment right now, sorry 😅.

BTW Nick Grey already said BoB stuff is happening, no dates, but you know, "it's not if, it's when". Hence, Mk.I, E-3/4 (7 is a too late model, don't fall for stupid marketing decisions in other titles 😉 ), Hurricane I, will eventually come to DCS. At least I hope so.

i'm too lazy to use roman numbers sorry 😅, i'll make some changes

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DD_Fenrir said:

Even since the acceleration of DCS WW2 development we have seen approx. 1x WW2 flyable model per year, even if you take the most likely candidates you're looking at 31 years for that list!

Plus I can guarantee there is insufficient data out there to model a great deal of those to DCS standards; where possible they like to have a real flyable equivalent to get reliable feedback from pilots on handling characteristics, and if not, a veteran with exceptional presence of mind and recall (exceptionally rare) to provide the same . This requirement alone immediately excludes a lot of those you ask for.

Then there's wind tunnel test data, or even just basic data on the aerofoil shapes; not just of the wings but the propellers too; even the Western nations where stuff was generally very well documented, there are gaps, even in the popular types, particularly the German aircraft where a lot of documentation was destroyed or lost. Japan? There's a reason that not many modern high fidelity simulators have a WW2 Japanese type flyable currently.

If I were you, I would mange my expectations somewhat.. 😉

As i said, it's not expectations, it's more of a dream since i, same as you, know how long it takes for ED to do stuff. But yes you're very right unfortunately, a lot of these planes are never gonna be in, i need to reduct the list.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Licenceless said:

... i need to reduct the list.

For me, the best way to reduce the list is to just think in terms of "what is the next warbird that I would most like to fly on DCS?" ... for me, that would be a russian contemporary of the current german aircrafts (109K, 190D9 & 190A8), either a Yak-3 or a La-7.

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

DCS WWII will benefit a lot more from focusing on a given historical time slot than releasing random variants of famous warbirds from different theaters of operations.

Since now we have a “late 1944” roster more or less (Spit & Mosquito are from 1943, but were still serving in large numbers), and the coming F4U Corsair will also fit this time slot - it is best to focus on that.

• Like 2

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

I really do want some early Battle of Britain era birds like Spitfire I/II, Hurricane, Bf-109E (I'd prefer E-4/b or E-7, they'd tie in as an early Eastern Front bird to go with I-16 too).

Since we are getting a WW II Marianas, Corsair, and Nick Grey says that F6F is something he'd love to eventually see made, I guess it is fair to imagine other Pacific modules too. Avenger can be cool, but I am more partial to SBD for whatever reason. For the Japanese side, since there are flyable examples, a Zero is probably feasible, and is a cool, iconic plane. At least an AI Val would round out a sword-shield combo for IJN together with the zero. For a later bird, while it has never been a favorite of mine, N1K Shiden is a good aircraft, and I think there was a surviving airframe and some docs somewhere. As for the IJAA side, I have an unreasonable love for the Ki-43. Ki-61 and/or Ki-100 can be nice as well. Ki-84 would be amazing, but I think there's nothing surviving that would make it possible as a DCS module.

Stuka of either early or late war vintage would be nice to see. Also, ED was considering the idea of doing F and G attack birds too when Fw-190A module was in dev, that would be a nice addition to give axis side a good attacker while doing relatively less work than a module from ground up.

B-25, A-26, Bf-110, Ju-88, Pe-2 are all things I'd love flying in DCS as well.

• Like 3

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

My life will continue to be hollow and incomplete until the P-38 is in it.  There is a long list of reasons that I’ve gone over ad nauseum  in other threads, but in summation it played hugely important roles through large chunks of timelines in both theatres of war that ED is expanding into.  Plus the highest scoring US ace in the war flew it, he had a really cool name (Dick Bong - come on, the memes and custom skins from this alone would be worth it), and he once got in trouble for flying a plane under the Golden Gate Bridge.  
TLDR: Dick, Bong, Bridge, cool plane, relevancy. 

• Like 3

That would make such an awesome addition to DCS WWII.

This is completely out of my realm, but I wonder what the possibility would be to partner on something like that with ED? Imagine if you would/could apply the type of technology used in the Apache in terms of Ai control opposite to human player control,... I don't think there would be any question of a home run hit for sure.

Great looking model though, hope your able to keep up with all the hard work.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Callsign112 said:

I wonder what the possibility would be to partner on something like that with ED?

I believe that has happened before, with the I-16 ... started its life as a Mod. Same with the MB-339.

• Like 4

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Loving it the hard way, aren't we?

Besides, this topic has been thoroughly discussed quite a few times:

I'll repeat my naive idea... how about requesting the completion of a sufficiently realistic theatre at a given time-period with the inclusion of at least the necessary AI units? I strongly believe this should come as the absolute first priority.

Edited by Picchio
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/25/2022 at 10:22 PM, Licenceless said:

Soviets

(optional, i think it's one of the last things on ED's wishlist and we shouldn't even imagine having it but since i16 is in i have an excuse to tigh in eastern front)

• Yak 1 (we need at least one early war fighter)
  • La 5FN (one late war fighter)
  • P39 (You can't get away without putting this in, too many russian aces flew it)
  • IL2 (Obviously)

Due to the fact we have the MiG-15 and I-16  I don't think anything Soviet is optional. 

I would add the Il-10 to the list (it should be bundled with the IL-2 if possible) and the YAK-9 both were used late war and saw action in Korea. 

On 4/25/2022 at 10:22 PM, Licenceless said:

US

• F6F (F4F isn't really needed since F6F entered service in 42 and we know ED is making it)
  • P38 (L is a must but some earlier options are needed too if possible) 
  • A20 (US needs a light twin engine attack plane since everyone elese has one and this one was extensively used and also leased to russians)
  • TBF Avenger (obvious choice, good for multicrew gunner)

I would add the A-26 as they served until Vietnam the B-25.

• Like 1