HOTAS & Keyboard Chair Mount Questions

Hi,

I am investigating setting up a full chair mount for my office. This would double as both a keyboard/mouse work platform, as well as be able to have the HOTAS controller as well.

I'm eyeing off the Monster Tech setup, and am interested in something like the following but wanted to check some things with the community before continuing:

monstertech_chair_mount_keyboard_04.jpg

I was wondering - how comfortable is it having the joystick off to the right hand side (right of the actual arm rest). Coming from a desk placed joystick that's closer inline to my right thigh I was wondering if off to the side is ergonomic, or just looks good but is not practical.

I thought about more towards the center, however I need the keyboard to be mounted there, and I plan on using this for a work setup as well (8hrs a day typing and using the mouse) so I'm chasing something to be suitable for both (and where the joystick won't get in the way of touch typing).

I figure it's better to stand on the shoulders of giants that have gone before me than to try from scratch and learn the hard way, so has anyone got any thoughts and experiences to share please?

It's extremely solid, no wiggle at all.  I like the ergonomics of the side stick mount a lot.  You'll want a short throw joystick, anything designed for desktop use will be fine.  Trackball will work better than a mouse although you can make a mouse work.  Get the quick release bolts, makes it easy to swing that stuff out of the way for work.  If you're in VR, it's really hard to check six wearing a scuba mask; using a swivel seat undoes that disadvantage and with chair mounts you can still control the aircraft.  You can sit close enough to your desk to use your keyboard without a special mount, which is good if you ever need to like stand up or something.  Put "sliders" on your chair to replace the wheels; note it's hard but not impossible to find sliders for Ikea chairs in the US, google is your friend.  I have not had issues using rudder pedals but it helps if the entire rig is on carpet or a large rug.  

Think of it this way; you're more or less reproducing F16 ergonomics (including the reclining position if you want).  It's the bomb imo and I wouldn't fly any other way.  

Edited by DeltaMike
  • Like 1

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

10 hours ago, DeltaMike said:

It's extremely solid, no wiggle at all.  I like the ergonomics of the side stick mount a lot.  You'll want a short throw joystick, anything designed for desktop use will be fine.  Trackball will work better than a mouse although you can make a mouse work.  Get the quick release bolts, makes it easy to swing that stuff out of the way for work.  If you're in VR, it's really hard to check six wearing a scuba mask; using a swivel seat undoes that disadvantage and with chair mounts you can still control the aircraft.  You can sit close enough to your desk to use your keyboard without a special mount, which is good if you ever need to like stand up or something.  Put "sliders" on your chair to replace the wheels; note it's hard but not impossible to find sliders for Ikea chairs in the US, google is your friend.  I have not had issues using rudder pedals but it helps if the entire rig is on carpet or a large rug.  

Think of it this way; you're more or less reproducing F16 ergonomics (including the reclining position if you want).  It's the bomb imo and I wouldn't fly any other way.  

Thanks DM,

I have a VKB Modern Combat Grip (with the desktop base). Good to know that out the right hand side isn't a problem ergonomically. (I guess yeah - the F16 is that way by default - true, so it can't be that uncomfortable). I have the VKB T-Rudders, and I'm on carpet so I think rudder pedal sliding won't be an issue at all. (I love these pedals!!!!)

The one thing I'm very confused about is Monster Tech's own website. For their keyboard tray ( https://www.monster.tech/en/product/chair-mount-keyboard-tray/ ), they have an image of it on a swivel, but then on the same page they have the text "The Chair Mount Keyboard Tray must be attached to the side of the chair mount. Attachment is possible on either side. The use of a swivel and quick release adapter is not recommended."  (Emphasis mine).

Do you have the swivel and quick release adapter for your keyboard tray.  I'm not sure why they don't recommend it, when it's effectively essential to have it. (Not sure how I'd get in or out of the chair otherwise), so I'm interested in feedback on how well this works.

Cheers

DZ

I didn't get the keyboard tray. I'm close enough to the desk to reach it. Plus I'm in VR, I seldom go there anyway. 

I imagine the problem is, the keyboard mount has a lot of leverage and it would be easy to hurl the whole thing to the floor if you whack it the wrong way.  I dunno about that thing....

This is the second set of MT chair mounts I've had, the old setup was a permanent install where I had plenty of room for everything and I never missed having the quick release.  Current setup is on an Ikea chair in a really small multi-use space and I use the quick release constantly.  So, depends on your needs I guess.  (I'm travelling in an RV so, it's like the world's smallest sim pit)

You can buy "star" bolts on Amazon for cheap if you decide later you want em, as I did.  

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

On 4/27/2022 at 8:34 AM, Dangerzone said:

The one thing I'm very confused about is Monster Tech's own website. For their keyboard tray ( https://www.monster.tech/en/product/chair-mount-keyboard-tray/ ), they have an image of it on a swivel, but then on the same page they have the text "The Chair Mount Keyboard Tray must be attached to the side of the chair mount. Attachment is possible on either side. The use of a swivel and quick release adapter is not recommended."  (Emphasis mine).

OK - I believe I have this bit figured out. There is a separate swivel on the keyboard tray arm itself, so I believe what they're saying is don't use the swivel and quick release that connects down low near the chair mount if using the keyboard tray.  (The one that would normally move the throttle at the same time). Keep that fixed in place - but the keyboard will still swivel at an elbow higher up that only affects the keyboard tray and the lateral arm connected to the tray.

• 4 weeks later...

For anyone who may come across this post and wonder on an answer - I took the plunge and this is my experience so far:

I'm quite impressed with how customizable monster tech is. It's not 100% customizable, but there's enough options available to change things around and small things such as adjusting the height by an inch or two can make a big difference as to how it feels.

Having the joystick to the right side has taken a little bit of getting used to after having it in front of me for... well - most of my life. It didn't affect my flying capabilities to a level that I've noticed but after too many hours flying with it in another location - it wasn't a quick "aah - that feels like a natural position).

However it has certainly changed my posture. My shoulders don't roll forward like they used to - they're normally back in the chair - which I think has been quite a good thing for me. (Old age sucks). My adjustable arm rests on the chair can also be altered and come in handy for me to rest my arms and hold both the HOTAS and joystick.

The keyboard swivel is completely different to the quick release. It comes with it's own swivel which is dedicated to the keyboard's horizontal arm in front, allowing the keyboard to be rotated 90 degrees away (out in front). 

One issue I faced is that I want my keyboard closer for general PC stuff - but I can't move it closer because of where the HOTAS throttle is mounted. I think I'm going to be able to easily overcome this with a 4080 extrusion I've purchased separately that replaces the extrusion that holds the keyboard plate to make it a tad longer. 

The other issue I face is I need to be careful when leaning back in my chair - the keyboard tray can continue to swivel 'through' towards me and make contact with the HOTAS.

I've heard some people say that monster tech is expensive and that because it's mostly aluminum extrusion they could make something up themselves. I can't comment for others - but I think I saved money. I reckon I would have gone through 2 to 3 times the amount of supplies to 'get it right' after making a lot of mistakes, and probably still wouldn't have worked out as well as monster tech's design. I figure the extra price between the price of the equipment RAW and sourced from there goes towards the engineering they've put into this - and for me - it  is a price that I think was worth it.  Others with a good engineering mindset, and the right tools to start with may have a different approach, and may get more enjoyment working things out themselves - but I'm happy for someone else to do the brain work. 🙂

The main gripe I have would be the MKG Gunfighter mount. The mount you see in the photo's has 2 rings cut out - almost all around - with just 4 points at 0, 90, 180 and 270 degrees to hold the metal together. The MCG mount I have doesn't have this. It has 4 holes with a 'little' curve in them for small adjustments. I would have liked to be able to angle my grip a little more but couldn't. If the mount was the same as the one in the pic - it would have given me more versatility.