Request for ED: please focus on fixing the existing bugs on the F-16 before releasing new features

SCPanda

Given the current state of the F-16, while the jet still has many features that remain incomplete, there are currently so many bugs and problems that are still not fixed or acknowledged by ED. I feel with the currently implemented features, F-16 can perform its roles quite well at AA, AG, SEAD, etc. I think it might be better for ED to shift a bit of their priority to bug fixing. The upcoming features like Sniper pod and CRUS pages would be nice to have but keeping introducing new features might add more bugs to the jet. I mean just take a look at the "Bugs" section, there are so many bugs already and more bugs just keep appearing after every update. Also, people are really trying to help ED by providing evidence that there are systems, functions, and performances that are wrong for the DCS F-16. So you just see more and more bugs appearing, like the wrong hold and release HOTAS logic, roll rate, drag, and AOA problems with the jet, just some examples.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

I understand the logic in this post.  I think, though, there are two major groups...yours and the folks that want the jet to be more complete.  I see advantages to both; however, I favor the fuller feature approach, mainly because you can test the entire mission flow and find bugs you might not have if you were "handicapped" into a comprehensive testing cycle for each sub-module.  As soon as you add more subsystems, these integration bugs will show themselves.  

I find a more compelling argument in finishing a module's functionality, before starting another aircraft, leaving some bug-fixing teams in place at the end.  But that isn't the way things work in this business; to keep the revenue flowing to support the business model and employees, you need to keep introducing new paid modules with a good strategic roadmap.  

To be sure, there will always be an unhappy contingent.  For all the euphoria of the Apache release, as was with the Hornet, Viper, Tomcat, etc., each camp's fans will start the inevitable cycle that caused this post and other similar posts...frustration with bugs, as well as incomplete feature sets that come with Early Access and a lack of qualified experts that dance around ITAR/classified information.

• Like 3

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
=============================
Intel Core i7 5930K 3.5GHz, 32Gb RAM// Radeon RX Vega // SSD only // VKB STECS Mini Plus Throttle / TM Warthog FCS / Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals / Physical Cockpit // TrackIR or VR (HP R-G2)// Win10Pro 64bit //

2 hours ago, Dawgboy said:

I find a more compelling argument in finishing a module's functionality, before starting another aircraft, leaving some bug-fixing teams in place at the end.

What's the point of having a feature-complete plane when its sensors cannot even track a moving target, because of a bug that was introduced and reported 4+ months ago? Bugs like this should be fixed in a week, not half a year (hopefully it won't take longer).

Same thing was with Hip. ED broke sling loading which was a game breaker if you tried to play their payable campaign Oil Fields. We had to wait 6 months for a fix because they were happily working on Hind, completely ignoring old (not profitable) modules. Only when Hind was released they finally fixed the bug.

I totally agree with OP. Existing bugs should have the highest priority.

Edited by Marklar
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

i9 9700K @5.0GHz; 2080 Ti, 32GB RAM. Reverb G2; TM Warthog on VPC WarBRD Base, MFG Crosswind V3

2 hours ago, Marklar said:

What's the point of having a feature-complete plane when its sensors cannot even track a moving target, because of a bug that was introduced and reported 4+ months ago? Bugs like this should be fixed in a week, not half a year (hopefully it won't take longer).

Same thing was with Hip. ED broke sling loading which was a game breaker if you tried to play their payable campaign Oil Fields. We had to wait 6 months for a fix because they were happily working on Hind, completely ignoring old (not profitable) modules. Only when Hind was released they finally fixed the bug.

I totally agree with OP. Existing bugs should have the highest priority.

What's the point?  I made my point already, and you disagree, which is fine.  However, you're bolstering my point in a round-about way...if they don't have the dollars coming in from new modules, there will be no more bug fixes, OR, they will take even longer.  This is the difference between the freeware non-profit model and the for-profit model.  Running it for-profit is always a delicate balance, full of tough staffing vs priority decisions, especially with Early Access aircraft.

With the freeware, non-profit approach, you wait forever for both fixes AND new functionality.  Your desires are completely controlled by what the devs can do within their volunteer time.  I am amazed at how fast ED introduced some of the new Viper functionality, while being frustrated with the bugs.  I even took a break from DCS because of it.  MSFS2020 came at a good time for me, since I only fly the Viper.  

Now, if something's already out of Early Access, I think it's an "all-hands-on-deck" situation.  I don't fly any helos, so I can't speak to the Hip issue you cited, but I'd be pissed if the Hip was already fully released and out of Early Access.

When you buy an Early Access module, you sign up for the reality that comes with that module until it's fully released...  

• Like 2

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
=============================
Intel Core i7 5930K 3.5GHz, 32Gb RAM// Radeon RX Vega // SSD only // VKB STECS Mini Plus Throttle / TM Warthog FCS / Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals / Physical Cockpit // TrackIR or VR (HP R-G2)// Win10Pro 64bit //

• ED Team

Our priority is completing the Viper, both new features and bug fixes are required for this, because we share videos on new features coming to a EA module doesn't mean the bug fixing has stopped, we do both at the same time, because a bug takes longer to fix doesn't mean its been forgotten. Thanks.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

I will be honest, the FCR/HSD Radar Ghost bug is really becoming a nuisance.  (if a target breaks lock, it stops updating the track position on the FCR and HSD).  Both times when doing TMS right long, TMS down,  And TMS right long again to switch back… DCS froze.   Does anyone else get the same behavior? Also squadron members reporting constantly the DL/FCR update issue. Yesterday,  leads PPLI was 30nm from where he actually was…

It’s been like 4 months now where this ghost bug is happening, and it’s super common now. To the point where you have to use the TMS long right every time in cold ops to ensure things are reset and not bugged while attempting BFM sets. Another example - you can currently lock someone on an IFR departure, as reference, then drop the lock... and until you TMS right long, recycled MIDS and locked someone else, he appeared back at the last point at an inaccurate alt and position. Little issues like this need to be sorted before DL continues to get more confusing for the Viper fan base.

• Like 3

• ED Team

As I said above, we are doing bug fixing along with new features, some bugs take longer to fix. If its reported on the forums and marked as reported in the thread, then it will be fixed.

That's all we have for this topic, sorry guys.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png