Gunship Lift/Take off

Eskandaer

Maybe a bug; maybe not.

Not a great pilot, but I have learned a reasonable amount about the UH-1H and flying it in this campaign.

I get to missions 7 and 8.  Gunship.  Tracking on the dialogue in 7 about how to take off due to being overloaded along with the lore behind that mechanic. 

Where things depart from what I would expect:

1) Sometimes -- the first try on m7 and sometimes a retry on a m7/m8, the ship lifts fairly reasonably like flying the slicks, just slightly heavier, without me having to do anything special.  Just ease up the collective, don't have to red line, gain a few ft immediately and ease into some lateral motion for a fairly gradual but normal lift.

2) Other times, usually after a retry (since I can get gun happy until a tree embraces me as its best friend), the ship maneuvers like a sack of wet <profanity> when I attempt to lift.  I get the 'barely light on the skids' even with red-lining, try to follow the procedure outlined in the m7 dialogue, and usually get nowhere.  When I do get lift, it's almost like a script just stopped running that was keeping me down and suddenly I'm up with relative ease.  At first, I told myself this only happened because I finally figured out the wind component (does 'into the wind' mean fly upwind/windward or downwind/leeward?? -- flashback of some hilarious jumper errors with the MC-6 on this ambiguity of language); but on a retry, sometimes I have luck with the opposite direction or completely different angles -- again, it feels like a switch flicked off and suddenly I'm up.

If it weren't such a drastically different experience between suddenly hard and suddenly not hard on different tries, I wouldn't be considering the possibility of a bug; but as I'm getting such radically different experiences, I thought it might be worth a mention.

Is there an 'artificial' script or other mechanism in the mission file that is supposed to reduce the power/lift of the gunship engines?  If so, it might be applying its effects inconsistently.

Technical:

VR - Usually with Oculus Quest 2, using openxr and oculus software during this encounter.
Decent PC specs (rtx 3090/amd 5900x) , but this map really churns fps in VR down heavily -- I probably average 45 fps, but with the different motion smoothing techniques used by either openVR or steamVR.

Hi,

Thanks for the report. The weaker engine is simulated by adding an invisible cargo weight to the player's ship at mission start, so it's not a script, nor a switch. If you feel a sudden lift, that's translational lift, but the way it's implemented in the Huey is not mission related I'm afraid. Perhaps it's too sudden, I don't know, I've never flown a real helo.

Check out this video for more info:

Edited by Reflected

3 hours ago, Reflected said:

The weaker engine is simulated by adding an invisible cargo weight to the player's ship at mission start, so it's not a script, nor a switch.

Thanks for sharing this!  I wondered how you accomplished the "weaker engine".  👍

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

I'll be more deliberate about documenting what I'm experiencing to see if it has validity.  It might be that I'm executing the lift exactly right when things feel easy -- but I'm just a bit doubtful of that.  From a technical perspective, I'm guessing you're not seeing a possibility of that cargo weight modification somehow not initializing on a mission load when there might be performance issues -- you would know better than me, just noting that it feels like that sometimes.

With more time/experience, I'm getting more consistent results -- for now, I'm chalking up what I experienced to accidental luck, but yes, if I do get a super unnaturally easy lift off the bat, I'll save the track. 

That said, I still haven't figured out the wind element terribly well;  I just have been trying different vectors until I start going up.  For clarity:  what heading should we fly toward based on the kneeboard degree listed?  Ie.  if the kneeboard says the wind is 45 degrees; does that mean fly toward a 45 degree heading or opposite of that (225 degree)?  And forgive my ignorance -- does that mean the wind is blowing from the 45 degree angle or in the direction of the 45 degree heading?

Again, 'into the wind' always gets me; downwind or upwind both can lay claim to that depending on language understanding. I've assumed upwind but just making sure.  Thanks.

Edited by Eskandaer