How to fly the Apache this way?

VTJS17_Fire

I want to do some hard breaks/stops, followed by turns and other aerobatic maneuvers, like in this vid. Do anyone know, how to fly these?

Maybe a vid/tutorial with the controller display on, which shows the controls settings while flying these?

• Like 1

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Practice is useless, if you don't know how to practice/use the controls or practice it wrong.

If I would say to you: "Do a backflip!" and as help "practise", you would break your neck. If not, your would still do it false. Promised, as a trainer for gymnastics myself.

Edited by VTJS17_Fire
  • Like 3

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I did some of those tricks.

Try this:

Loop: get some altitude. Then nose down until you get speed, then do a loop as you do on a fixed wing airplane.

Barrel: same idea. Get speed, then put yor cyclic to full left or right and compensate using your rudder pedals.

Edited by vilson.farias
  • Thanks 1

That's some fancy flying. 

I've been practicing hard stops to a hover, without gaining too much altitude, after watching this tutorial:

Still working on them, but it's coming along.  Hard left/right slips to unmask will probably be next.

I practice by going up and down the runway at 50-100ft, trying to stop at a hover directly over the end of the pavement.  Then do a 180 degree pedal turn and do it again the other direction.  It requires a surprising amount of coordination with the collective and pedal to keep everything stable and pointed in the right direction.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, VTJS17_Fire said:

I want to do some hard breaks/stops, followed by turns and other aerobatic maneuvers, like in this vid. Do anyone know, how to fly these?

First rule of Apache aerobatics is "learn to refrain from pulling hard on the collective when loosing the altitude", or most of Your attempts will look like in attached video. Rest will come sooner or later 😉
Apache is pretty good glider when he have the speed, even on "zeroized" collective.

Edited by Amarok_73
  • Thanks 1

Natural Born Kamikaze

-------------------------

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, AMD Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4, AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT, 32 GB RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX, PSU Modecom Volcano 750W, Logitech G940 HOTAS, Turtle Beach VelocityOne Rudder.

I did a very fast barrel roll at 900 ft on my first flight just by switching from CP/G back to pilot which got the Apache almost out of control. My pants and me survived unharmed but close. 😉

That inspired me to try a loop. And it worked on first try. So the DCS Apache is definitely capable of doing those maneuvers shown in OP's video.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Floyd1212 said:

That's some fancy flying. 

I've been practicing hard stops to a hover, without gaining too much altitude, after watching this tutorial:

Still working on them, but it's coming along.  Hard left/right slips to unmask will probably be next.

I practice by going up and down the runway at 50-100ft, trying to stop at a hover directly over the end of the pavement.  Then do a 180 degree pedal turn and do it again the other direction.  It requires a surprising amount of coordination with the collective and pedal to keep everything stable and pointed in the right direction.

Thx very much. Great stuff!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 4/26/2022 at 8:50 PM, vilson.farias said:

I did some of those tricks.

Try this:

Loop: get some altitude. Then nose down until you get speed, then do a loop as you do on a fixed wing airplane.

Barrel: same idea. Get speed, then put yor cyclic to full left or right and compensate using your rudder pedals.

Agree, that works for me too. It is quite easy.

________________________ ________ ______ ___ __ _

Win10 64 Pro, i7-6800K 3.4Ghz, 32 GB (DDR4), Asus Aorus 1080 TI WF, TrackIR 5 / RIFT, Thrustmaster Warthog, Fanatec Pedals, 55" oled 4k TV, Modules:A10C, KA-50, Huey, AV-8B, FA-18, F-16, NTTR, Persian Gulf

_ __ ___ ____ _____ ______ _______ ____________

The hammerhead maneuver works quiet well, with little practice.

Go full speed, pull the nose 90° up, while keeping the aircraft straight. look to the side and wait for the "world outside to stop moving".

At this moment, lower collective to nearly 0, kick in right rudder, (did not try left that much) until your nose points 90° down.

When you think there is no way to prevent the aircraft from crashin, let it dive just a second longer, pull collective and be amazed how your rotor tears up your nose few feet above the ground.

(As always, much better in VR than pancake, especially with a "butt kicking device")

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

NZXT H400i case

i9 9900k @ 4,9GHz (cooled by NZXT Kraken X62 4x140Fan - Push/Pull)

Asus RoG Maximus XI Gene with 32GB G.Skill CL14

Samsung M.2 970Pro 1000GB

ZOTAC RTX 2080ti Triple Fan 11GB

34" RoG Swift Curved TFT

runs smooth like Beck's Gold :D

HTC VIVE pro eYe (still freaking out!)

Thrust Master HOTAS Warthog on MONSTERTECH table mounts

15cm Stick Extension + red spring by SAHAJ 8 (<-- love them)

(TM F-18C ordered)

TPR (Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder)

T.Flight USAF Headset

I've had some success by practicing with the sim at half speed (CTRL+Z).  This helo is a sports car and things happen very rapidly.  Slowing down allowed me to analyze cause and effect with these sensitive controls.  The other thing that helped a lot was pumping the collective.  Pulling collective and keeping it there doesn't have the same effect as pumping (sometimes rapidly) for 2sec bursts while in heavy pitch.  It's hard to explain, but try it out when hard breaking and I think you'll see what I mean.

• Thanks 1

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

Proper curves would help a lot, if you have not yet tuning the curve, it's worth some time on it. 

I can do barrel roll and some nice stall turns like those seen in air show now.

image.png

Edited by mwlue
  • Like 1

I already tuned the curves, according to one of the Apache YouTubers and feel fine with it.

Only the rudder axis seems to be not "long" enough, to correct the steering above 120% collective.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

6 hours ago, StrongHarm said:

I've had some success by practicing with the sim at half speed (CTRL+Z).  This helo is a sports car and things happen very rapidly.  Slowing down allowed me to analyze cause and effect with these sensitive controls.  The other thing that helped a lot was pumping the collective.  Pulling collective and keeping it there doesn't have the same effect as pumping (sometimes rapidly) for 2sec bursts while in heavy pitch.  It's hard to explain, but try it out when hard breaking and I think you'll see what I mean.

What curves are you using and what controllers do you have?

8600K|64 GB 3200|4090|m.2

http://www.blacksharkden.com/

Come join us!

You can use gyroscopic precession with rudder application to flip it around pretty good too...  Like damn near snap roll territory.  Unload the rotor by gaining alt, then leveling to 0G and then depending on stick and rudder you can get her to barrel roll SUPER fast.

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

2 hours ago, jnr4817 said:

What curves are you using and what controllers do you have?

I have a Warthog HOTAS on a 4" extension.  I use the F/A-18 grip when flying the Apache.

Collective: 0/100/100/0 (default)
Cyclic pitch/roll: 2/100/100/20
Rudder: 5/100/100/15

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

14 hours ago, Niehorst said:

The hammerhead maneuver works quiet well, with little practice.

I've originally tried with Casmo's advice on how to do a return to target maneuver with the Hind - and in the Hind it works perfectly. He says not to touch the collective at all while doing it, and no problem.

And yet doing the same procedure in the AH-64, it just tries to kill me on the way down. 

So I'll try your technique. I'm surprised nobody has made a video demonstrating these things yet. Barrel rolls may be 'cosmetic', but return to target would be genuinely useful.

• Like 1

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR