Track IR Z Axis movement too limited in Spitfire, can I tweak it?

Hi,

The Spit is just the 2nd bird I'm flying with DCS after the free Su-25T (still a newbie after only 50ish flight hours) and while I'm working on learning the ropes there is this thing that really puzzles me. In the Su-25T I could use my big old head to zoom by moving closer to the screen (TrackIR Z Axis), but in the Spit somehow this movement is VERY limited and far from enough, so I need to use the zoom in/out keys to have a real good look at things.

I'm sure there's a way to tweak the values of the invisible 'box' that constraints headtracking axis movement or maybe some workaround for this limitation. Any ideas, please?

Edited by nachinus

Zoom is fine, we all use it, specially if you have buttons enough in your HOTAS. But you can tweak your TrackIr profile to any response you want, just enhance Z axis to your like and you'll be good to go. But it's the same profile for every airframe inside the game, so be careful with it, but it's easy just trial and error to find your personal sweet spot.

I leave this here is case you wonder how to do it.

• Like 1

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Thank you for your response! I just checked out that vid, but fortunately my TrackIR config is pretty much ok for my taste (I've been using it for many, many years in other sims). Z Axis is sensitive enough to make a great zoom-in without having to touch the screen mith my nose.

The problem I think is in the 'box' that DCS Spit module puts on headtracking axis (you know, the limits that prevent you from sticking your head further out of your  cabin even if you continue to make X or Y axis input). In the Spitfire the Z-Axis movement is severely limited, which it wasn't in the previous model I flew (the Su-25T). Since I haven't tried any other DCS modules I don't know if the general rule is the Su-25T unlimited Z-Axis (so you can actually use it like a powerful Zoom axis) or the Spits limited head movement Z-Axis (so you can't move it further than you would be able to move your head). The former was great because it meant I didn't need to use Zoom-in/Zoom-out keys or HOTAS binds and comes naturally.

I wonder if there's a way to mod this axis limits or to overcome this limitation fiddling with axis configurations ingame. 

Edited by nachinus

Yeah, those "cockpit limits" you mention are there to prevent you stick your head out of the glass in closed cockpit, every module has them and they change since not every cockpit have the same room and Spitifire is definitely a cramped cockpit, but I don't recall Spit to have any specially tight limits for trackIr. If you don't have more modules to compare (you always have the 14 days trials), check TF-51 to see the difference. In any case the FC3 cockpit on Su-25T would be the different one, not the other way around. I mean, your trackIr profile should be aimed to full modules before FC3 limited cockpits ones, and since Spitfire cockpit is already tight you shouldn't have that problem with Z axis in order to get closer to instrument panel or whatever.

Those limits can't be changed to my knowledge, you can tweak your default head position, default zoom, and that kind of things by editing files (there are also in-game keys for editing and saving default seat positions), but I don't recall limits to be changeable (it's a common bug popping out sometimes, you can stick your head out of the cockpit after some OB patch), and if you manage to do it remember maybe that editing doesn't pass online integrity check.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

@nachinus I'm a TiR Z-axis zoomer in all modules as well. I guess you're talking about the invisible limits when trying to look sideways / down etc., right? Forward-look Z-axis zoom is impressive, but only this one, so for a quick workaround which doesn't involve editing files, you can always lean-zoom first while looking ahead and then turn your head in intended direction. Probably not convenient in combat, but still...

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Hi, @Art-J! I'm glad that there are other people using this way to zoom so I can learn how to do it right!. I'm talking about these limits, yeah... BUT it turns out that there's a limit for the Z-Axis too in the Spitfire! (not in the Su-25T). I have to check other modules, as Ala13_ManOWar suggested, but RL just got in the way. I'm planning to try the free TF-51 today.

Just a question: Do you use the default assignment for the TiR axis in DCS? or did you assign a zoom action to the TiR Z-axis?

Edited by nachinus

12 hours ago, nachinus said:

Just a question: Do you use the default assignment for the TiR axis in DCS? or did you assign a zoom action to the TiR Z-axis?

I don't remember how default assignments worked, it's been years since I bought the module and set it up. I do have it now as per your latter question: axis assign -> zoom -> TiR z-axis.

Generally, DCS is not 100% consistent about camera limites between various aircraft modules, so differences you spotted are kind of "normal" and require either getting used to, or patient and tedious modding of relevant .lua files ;).

• Like 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

hace 10 horas, Art-J dijo:

I don't remember how default assignments worked, it's been years since I bought the module and set it up. I do have it now as per your latter question: axis assign -> zoom -> TiR z-axis.

Generally, DCS is not 100% consistent about camera limites between various aircraft modules, so differences you spotted are kind of "normal" and require either getting used to, or patient and tedious modding of relevant .lua files ;).

I tried last night to assign the axis zoom to TiR z-axis, but the the default zoom position was TOO close to the reticle, I had to lean back a lot to get a good view of the cabin. Also, the zoom-in/zoom-out HOTAS binds I previously had didn't work when that axis is asigned to zoom, so I had to use the head position controls to adjust for a better view. It was a little bit tricky but the outcome worked ok. With a little bit of fiddling with that axis adjustements I'll be good, I think.

Thanks for your help, guys!

That closeness to the reticle is the kind of thing you can change in game as I said before. I don't remember exactly how it worked or the exact keys, but there were by default keyboard numpad keys with which you can change you default position in the six axes and save the new one you want. If you search the forums there are posts covering how it's done.