Defeating Ru Carriers

C3PO

What's the best way to defeat the Russian carriers with harpoons? I launched four of them and all got taken out. Admittedly, they were from the same. Does setting alternative waypoints for each work?

Now: Water-cooled Ryzen 5800X + 32GB DDR 4 3200 RAM + EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra 24 GB + Reverb G2 + Add-on PCI-e 3.1 card + 2x1TB Corsair M.2 4900/4200 + TM HOTAS Warthog + TM TPR Pendular Rudder  'Engaged Defensive' YouTube Channel

Modules: F/A-18C / AV-8B / F-16 / F-15E / F-4E (when it lands) / Persian Gulf / Syria / Nevada / Sinai / South Atlantic

Backup: Water-cooled i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz + 32GB DDR4 3200MHz + GTX 1080 8GB + 1TB M.2 1k drive & 250GB SSD drive 500MBps 4K 40" monitor + TrackIR 5

Swamp the carrier, absolutely monster it.

If you are trying it single ship, then all you will likely do is give the defences a chuckle.

Many missiles, from more than one direction, to arrive at almost same time. Compound the ships ability to engage all of them.

• Like 2

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

If you are going to attack a Kuznetsov with a single F18 in DCS, the Walleye is probably the best option. After a low-altitude and high-speed penetration, and throwing two Walleyes, it has less than 10% of its health remaining, and it should not have the ability to counterattack at this time. Because the Walleye is a bomb without RCS, and the damage is huge (in DCS, all weapons that are classified as bombs have no RCS, so they will not be intercepted). Before dropping Walleye, though, you'll need to fire the HARM for cover at the right moment. It will intercept HARM first to give you a chance to penetrate.

Therefore, you will find that anti-ship is a very embarrassing task in DCS, the ship has no damage model. Harpoon is a weapon used to incapacitate ships rather than sink them, so the damage is set very low, which is pretty useless in DCS. I wouldn't use harpoon if it wasn't for a rigorous realistic task.

In a real environment, you will never use a single F18 against a single carrier. Usually, the fleet is suppressed by saturated firepower, and there will be swarms of aircraft to organize the attack. I don't know much about real situation, but according to my understanding, it should be made like this. So I guess you need a lot of F18s and a lot of Harpoon to sink Kuznetsov.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 28270 said:

Five MK-84s in CCIP = 5% damage on a fantasy attack.

Very nicely done!

• Thanks 1

Now: Water-cooled Ryzen 5800X + 32GB DDR 4 3200 RAM + EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra 24 GB + Reverb G2 + Add-on PCI-e 3.1 card + 2x1TB Corsair M.2 4900/4200 + TM HOTAS Warthog + TM TPR Pendular Rudder  'Engaged Defensive' YouTube Channel

Modules: F/A-18C / AV-8B / F-16 / F-15E / F-4E (when it lands) / Persian Gulf / Syria / Nevada / Sinai / South Atlantic

Backup: Water-cooled i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz + 32GB DDR4 3200MHz + GTX 1080 8GB + 1TB M.2 1k drive & 250GB SSD drive 500MBps 4K 40" monitor + TrackIR 5

Quite easily doable in Viggen even if Kuznietsov is in breadcrumbs of Moskva and couple of other corvettes.

I am not saying this is piece of cake, but it's possilbe to sink these monsters using 2-4 RB-15F missiles for each.

Natural Born Kamikaze

-------------------------

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, AMD Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4, AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT, 32 GB RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX, PSU Modecom Volcano 750W, Logitech G940 HOTAS, Turtle Beach VelocityOne Rudder.