High end gaming laptop for DCS

So, I need to upgrade my old system and get a new PC for DCS but I also do some content creation and digital photography and it would be great to have the portability. I know most games run great using a gaming laptop but flight sims (DCS, MS2020, Il 2), eh, not so much. 

I am looking at an Alienware M 15 R7 - i7 12700H, 64GB DDR5 RAM, 3070ti or 3080ti GPU, 1 TB M2.PCIe SSD.  I would use a cooler pad to help keep the temps down.  I might be looking at VR in the future but not right now.  If I go with a solution for right now I will probably go with a 34" Ultra Wide monitor and Alienware has a sexy one of those too.  I have a pretty good budget (3k-4k) so $$ is not an issue.

I know that laptops will be about 30% slower than a comparable desktop configuration but the portability factor and sexy small thin and light laptop pleases the eyes.  How bad is it in DCS with a laptop vs. a desktop build?   I'm trying trying hard to not get sucked into all of the marketing and the idea of the laptop.  

Edited by Maverick1202
  • Like 1

Following, I was about to ask the same question. Haven't owned a desktop for 20 yrs. I would not have just one hard disk though. If I must go DTop I will but do not want to. Another downside of laptops is that I don't think you can upgrade the graphics card later. Here is a Dell /Alienware quote for a spec I was looking at. BTW this was minus 10% off the original price. they called back after a week and dropped the price. They don't seem to supply the 3090 for laptops yet. VR seems to be tricky enough on a Dtop, anyone using VR on a laptop? 

Thanks for any advice. 

image.png

The constant 100% GPU will heat-load any laptop and likely cause it to downclock the GPU.

I know you want it mobile, I have been there too, but it does come with the heat problem.

Think twice before you go that route

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

3 hours ago, AlphaG said:

Following, I was about to ask the same question. Haven't owned a desktop for 20 yrs. I would not have just one hard disk though. If I must go DTop I will but do not want to. Another downside of laptops is that I don't think you can upgrade the graphics card later. Here is a Dell /Alienware quote for a spec I was looking at. BTW this was minus 10% off the original price. they called back after a week and dropped the price. They don't seem to supply the 3090 for laptops yet. VR seems to be tricky enough on a Dtop, anyone using VR on a laptop? 

Thanks for any advice. 

image.png

This is a great build.  Although, I would go for the 15" screen myself and spend the extra money on the monitor.  

Hi,

I have Dell G7 7700 64 GB RAM with 2070 RTX. Cooling pad is a must! I can recommend Coolmaster Notpal XL Klim Wind

My GPU runs at ~82C.

I had lots of issues with throttling until I realized that Alienware profiles are too optimistic to slow down fans and to slow to push them to the max.

Basically you will need yo create custom curves for both CPU and GPU in order to ensure that fans work all the time at 100%. They need to start spinning way before uou reach 75C.

Also clean the ventilation openings from the dust at least once per week.

Be aware of optional measure: you may need to switch off hyperthreading. This is not thermal issue but rather a scheduler issue with mobile CPUs that can cause your GPU to work at 60-70% utilization.

No VR on my side.

Edited by okopanja

WRT the 17 v 15 -Yes that's a good tip, thank you. I was about about to buy a 17 a few years ago until I saw the weight difference was about a kilo and it would not fit into any of my laptop backpacks. 

I am using Speedfan on my aging Ltop now.  It's shareware but pretty good at setting curves.   

Edited by AlphaG

My experience with Alienware and AWCC thermals/fans is to use a manual offset for the fans… 1 speed while game NO curves. And use MSI Afterburners Custom fan option. Set it and forget it.

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

I can answer this, as my dad did this for VR flight sims, with an Alienware R5 17in...

answer is...kinda yes? He can run DCS / X-plane 11, and even in VR. BUT, we've had issues, this thing runs loud and hot, has frequent crashes, and can't be upgraded, and has a high up front cost.

He has a 17 inch M17 R5?  What are his system specs?  CPU (i7 10, 11, 12 Gen?  16 or 32 GB RAM?  GPU (30XX)?  VR in single player or multiplayer?  What brand/model VR?  What resolution in VR?  What are his settings set at (Ultra, High, Medium)? Is he running it on a cooler pad?   What is making it crash? 

It's not that much more up front cost because of the cost of the GPU and monitor if you are going the desktop route.  You actually can save money going down the laptop route vs. a spec'd out prebuilt gaming desktop rig.  It's about the same cost for a prebuilt desktop right now with the prices of the GPUs being so high.

Edited by Maverick1202

Whatever the GTX 1080 version was with 16GB ram and top i7 at the time. He runs the Oculus Rift S, which...again, was the best at that time.

Main issues are it crashes in VR frequently, and non-upgradable. You get a desktop, you can upgrade the GPU, swap mobo and get a new CPU, etc. That said, it does work.

Seems like maybe his bottleneck is the GPU.  From what I have researched, you really need a GTX 3060 or higher to run VR...  Everyone is recommending going with the RTX 3080 for VR now.  From everything I reading, they all say that VR works best with the most powerful GPUs and at least 32GB RAM.  Does he run DCS with a monitor?  Does it crash still?  Upgrading a desktop is hard right now.  Good luck finding a desktop GPU if you can even afford it or you want to spend the money on it.

Edited by Maverick1202

I am not sure with the OP ment with "in a RV", like motor home ?

I have been through all that and on top of that I build them too for others, I would not recommend a laptop if you have the chance to squeeze an ITX system "somewhere". HDMI and USB cables can be very long and honestly, I have travelled with Alienware & Dell myself, at the end of the day...you carry a BIG laptop rucksack, mine is Himalaya size, a bag with your Hotas, your usual bag(s). It wont matter much if you carry an ITX or a Laptop imv.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Im alittle upset about Alienware after Steve from Gamers Nexus last video about Dell and the AW team ... just terrible !

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

2 hours ago, BitMaster said:

I am not sure with the OP ment with "in a RV", like motor home ?

I have been through all that and on top of that I build them too for others, I would not recommend a laptop if you have the chance to squeeze an ITX system "somewhere". HDMI and USB cables can be very long and honestly, I have travelled with Alienware & Dell myself, at the end of the day...you carry a BIG laptop rucksack, mine is Himalaya size, a bag with your Hotas, your usual bag(s). It wont matter much if you carry an ITX or a Laptop imv.

Yes I meant that I have been thinking about traveling in a motor home and the Laptop seems like the most portable solution.  I have not thought a lot about a mini ITX solution but this next computer I go with will not be a dedicated flight sim computer.  I will also be using it to create content , building WBT courses, and using it as an overall personal computer.  I can take a laptop into Starbucks to use their WiFi while traveling much easier than a mini ITX.  the real issue here is the newest fastest gaming laptops are actually a cheaper and easier way to go vs. building a gaming desktop when you consider the current cost of GPU and DDR5 RAM prices.

1 hour ago, Burt said:

Im alittle upset about Alienware after Steve from Gamers Nexus last video about Dell and the AW team ... just terrible !

What happened here?  Was this is youtube?

Yes, pc based but not sure about the laptops but it sickening.

Start Date April 2020 

So I reviewed Steve's channel.  Yes most of the Dell/Alienware desktop OEM computers are not right out of the box and you have to do some things as an upgrade before even using them.  The first upgrade is moding them to run cooler.  If you go with one of their desktop computers, you have to make sure there is enough cooling in the system case and on the CPU. I would want to add more fans, etc.   Most OEM computers (Dell, HP, Sony, etc.) are not so flexible for upgrades.  You can usually upgrade RAM, HDs, and video cards, but most often than not their proprietary system cases only allow their deigned custom components (motherboards, power supplies, etc.). It is not easy to upgrade core components of an off the shelf brand. 

It is costly to buy an Alienware desktop system and they should be designed better for the money they are asking.  There is another market of prebuilt systems that are out there that directly compete with the Alienware desktops such as Corsair and Digital Storm that are way better gaming systems.  I have been doing a fair amount of research on current laptops and Alienware seems to be respected.  I would give an Alienware desktop PC away if it was given to me though. 

• Like 1

I like Dell Optiplex, Precision and their servers but I would never consider a Pre-Build Gaming Desktop from Dell or HP.

For that much money, you can get a better one built in any town, anywhere, anytime.

As said above, the OEM restrictions void the whole idea of being "upgradable" and "tuneable".

When I was in the market to build around my G2 Covid was in full swing and of course the mining bull crap, computer parts especially gpu’s/3090 was extremely hard to get even if you have the 3 grand or more to get one just for the gpu. I wanted a 3090 period for my G2 and DCS and I got lucky when I purchased the R11/3090 last year in March. That machine and knowing how to work AWCC thermal runs DCS and my G2 like a champ and I’m still on steamvr and haven’t found the need to switch to OPenXR… yet. I’m also in the market for a laptop but for work and not gaming.

Start Date April 2020 

• 4 weeks later...

There is no hard coded stop sign for a gaming laptop but there is TDP for CPU and GPU, a FPS/Watt relation and a cooling solution, those corner stones define your experience.

It has a reason why Desktop parts burn hundreds of Watts and therefor have monster coolers, 600-1000w PSU's etc..

A Laptop can only do as much as it's cooling allows, I really hope you don't get disappointed.

Once it is heat loaded, it literally cooks the PCB.. I have had many laptops over the last 20 years and 1 thing I will not do with them anymore is gaming.

my 2 cents

1 hour ago, BitMaster said:

Once it is heat loaded, it literally cooks the PCB.. I have had many laptops over the last 20 years and 1 thing I will not do with them anymore is gaming.

I've used gaming laptops ranging from a 680 (back when that was new and impressive sounding) to a 2060 (recently purchased) and it works just fine. If you're cooking them, it's either a poor design (emphasis on being thin and light) or the airflow is being cut off and/or ambient temp is way too high. For light gaming, you don't have to worry, but if you're running something intensive that is pushing it, you need a dedicated cooler unit. You also, ideally, should focus on a design that has good airflow (ie relatively thick/large). Treat it less like a "laptop" (because it's not for light office work) and more like "a more portable desktop" that you carry with you, plug into a wall on a desk, and leave it there for the duration of usage.

https://www.amazon.com/HV-F2056-15-6-17-Laptop-Cooler-Cooling/dp/B00NNMB3KS

Something like this is better than nothing, but ideally find a design with fans you can position directly under the intakes to help force air through the case. And never set it on a fabric/soft surface that can squish up into the vents or otherwise restrict airflow. Airflow is literally life, restricting it is literally death.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2